Comma or semi-colon?

setchmo

What are you doing, Dave?
Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm having a hard time compressing info on a particular sentence and am not sure if a comma or a semi-colon would be more appropriate.

Here is the sentence in question:

"He looks more like a dead walker than anything else, with thick ashen hair and eyes the cold gray of weathered standing stones."

Should that be a comma after "else" or something else? Thanks in advance for suggestions / advice.

-Robert

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I believe the comma is correct. A semi-colon would separate two complete sentences.

MJNL

A Little Lost
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lostetter.wordpress.com
Ditto what Alpha Echo said. "With thick ashen hair and eyes the cold gray of weathered standing stones" is not a complete sentence by itself, so a semi-colon shouldn't be used.

janwyl

New kid, pile on in...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm not sure either works for me. I would try flipping the sentence round a bit or breaking it up instead.

Difficult to do without context. It sounds like it's being spoken - is it?
If spoken, maybe something like:

"He looks more like a dead walker than anything else. It's that thick ashen hair. And those eyes - they're the cold gray of weathered standing stones."

Or if it's not spoken, maybe:

"He has thick ashen hair, and eyes the cold gray of weathered standing stones. He looks more like a dead walker than anything else."

But if it works the way it is, then def comma. And you know what, reading it again, I think your sentence works fine with a comma. Eeesh, time to get away from this PC.

Last edited:

setchmo

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice! I'm going with the comma.

All the best!

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Definitely a comma, the way the sentence is written. Semi-colons should be used only as separators of things that could also be punctuated properly as two individual sentences, with a period between.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going with the comma.

Good choice. Alpha Echo, MJNL, and Blacbird are on the mark. Way too many writers think of the semicolon as just a flashier comma, instead of its function to separate closely associated main clauses.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Yep, as others have said, definitely a comma. A semicolon would make the sentence grammatically incorrect.

PeterL

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I don't think that you need any punctuation there, but if you really want something, then a comma would be much, much better than a semicolon.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think that you need any punctuation there, but if you really want something, then a comma would be much, much better than a semicolon.
Yeah, you do need a comma. Without it, the sentence has a different meaning.

setchmo

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. This is such a great site.

Splendad

Correcting a man? Be right.
Registered
Reaction score
East, northeast, or southest of you, probably
Website
wordsrock.blogspot.com

Agree with CaroGirl. If you don't use the comma, you could be saying that of all of those things that have thick ashen hair and eyes the cold gray of weathered standing stones (including the dead walker with same features), the one he looks the most like is the dead walker (not, for example, old-man winter or Milton Berle...).

PeterL

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, you do need a comma. Without it, the sentence has a different meaning.

It is open to a couple of interpretations with the comma. Perhaps it should be completely rewritten.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
You need a comma. But like janwyl, I like to flip such sentences, get the description up front. This makes it easier to see that a comma is required.

"With thick ashen hair and eyes the cold gray of weathered standing stones, he looks more like a dead walker than anything else."

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It is open to a couple of interpretations with the comma. Perhaps it should be completely rewritten.

No, this is a simple comma required sentence. It's wrong without the comma, and right with it.

Harry Douthwaite

Travel Videographer Extraordinaire!
Registered
In Time Out for My Sins
Reaction score
A semi-colon is usually used where a comma would otherwise create a 'comma-splice', where the two clauses between the comma do not share any common connection. A conjunction or period/full stop can also be used. In your case Setchmo, the comma has been used correctly.