Belatedly: RIP Sargent Shriver

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
January 18, age 97. I didn't see a thread on him, and I was offline for quite a while in midJanuary. He was one of my heroes, as corny as that sounds. He was extremely active in the civil rights movement, founded the Peace Corps, VISTA, Upward Bound, and Foster Grandparents. He originated Head Start, which is like an oasis in the lives of many of my littlest patients.

Here is a video of Bono and Glen Hansard from the Swell Season singing The Prayer of St Francis at his funeral. Even though Bono is doing his Bono thing in it, it's kind of lovely. Requiescat in pace, sir.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
It's never too late to give condolences for such a wonderful man. He and McGovern were the first presidential ticket I ever heard speak live (and I got to shake their hands).

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I knew nothing about him, and now I feel very sorry that I didn't. Head Start gave me a wonderful experience as a child, and it helped my autistic son (and my youngest, who has speech issues). What a wonderful thing to be remembered for, and that's only one of many?

I bow down.