Mubarak Out, New Puppet In

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
NBC News reports that Hosni Mubarak's resigning tonight, turning the reins over to Omar Suleiman, vice-president, former army general and intelligence chief, and first choice of the current US administration.

In related news, The Telegraph reports that documents released by WikiLeaks indicate that Egypt's secret police (SSIS) received training at the FBI, "despite allegations that they routinely tortured detainees and suppressed political opposition."

And the training operation was apparently headed by John Pistole, current head of the TSA, who was "praised for his 'excellent and strong' cooperation with the SSIS."

Last edited:

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
In related news, The Telegraph reports that documents released by WikiLeaks indicate that Egypt's secret police (SSIS) received training at the FBI, "despite allegations that they routinely tortured detainees and suppressed political opposition."

Wait, they received training from the FBI, therefore....what, exactly?

Good story...

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
Odd, I just read in another article that the military is going to assume custodial leadership, and that the VP was on the out list as well...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/11/world/middleeast/11egypt.html?_r=2

That would make sense. Suleiman won't be tolerated by the street because he's seen as a HM clone. True, he comes from the military, but that won't hold much water with most of the country shut down by strikes. My guess is the army will pick a caretaker until the Sept elections. If they don't come off as scheduled you'll see a repeat, or at least an attempted repeat, of these last weeks. Keep your fingers crossed.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
That's what I'm hearing too, Noah. The army is going to control the country for the period of time it takes to hold elections and that there will be no interim government. Like maybe eight months.

Slushie

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Well apparently Egypt's military is general well-respected in the country.

But still I'm kind of skeptical about a military that will be 'temporarily taking over until...'.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
That'll teach me to go to the grocery store. :D Sounds like everything's up in the air at the moment.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh no. I've been listening to his speech. It certainly doesn't sound like he's going to step down. What an incredible jerk. . . .

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
And I just heard on the news that Mubarek is NOT relinquishing power. God help those people in that square if he announces he's staying in. The bloodbath would be horrific.

Assuming he can convince the military to take them out, they've been rather reticent in stopping the protesters so far.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Assuming he can convince the military to take them out, they've been rather reticent in stopping the protesters so far.

Yeah. I'm kind of pinning my hopes on that, actually. What a cluster. :(

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Hopefully, this doesn't turn into a big ol' riot, but I'm not banking on it. Mubarak's biggest mistake? "I will not leave Egypt until I am buried in Egyptian soil."

Way to give them some ideas.

That crowd is getting really pissed off. This may be about to turn very, very ugly.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jeebus crisp, sometimes I hate the internet. WTH is going on, for real? We don't know yet, I guess.

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score

The VP already has all the presidential powers except the big ones, 1) to dissolve parliament, 2) alter the constitution 3) dissolve the cabinet.
HB won't go unless the army supports the street. Unlikely, because the street hasn't formed around an acceptable (to the army) party candidate.

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
In the end, it doesn't really matter. The protesters don't trust Salieman any more than they do Mubarak. I'm watching this crowd right now, with the police lining up around the square and the obvious anger building there, and I'm really hoping the situation gets under control.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
Or perhaps he's transferred none. The media doesn't know what it's reporting yet. So he might have transferred all, some, none, or maybe just gave him some advice. Who knows?

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Some people on CNN have speculated that Mubarak may have intentionally leaked the rumors to get everyone to the square and emotional, then said this to intentionally cause them to get violent in order to justify using force against them. I could definitely believe that.