Breaking News: D&D Promotes gang violence in prison

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/dungeons-and-dragons-board-games-d-and-d,news-9895.html

I wish I was joking. First we take away their meditation, now we take away their D&D? While I don't think prisoners should be made cushy, I don't think that essentially removing them from anything that could help rehabilitate them - and yes, I do believe that learning to play nice with others, cooperate toward a common goal, and generally become more creative will help rehabilitate people - is the right thing to do.

And moreover, this ruling is...stupid!

If you're going off THIS logic

Bruce Muraski, disruptive group coordinator for the Waupun Correctional Institute in Wisconsin stated, "During D&D games, one player is denoted the 'Dungeon Master.' The Dungeon Master is tasked with giving directions to other players, which Muraski testified mimics the organization of a gang."

Can't we say that playing ANY kind of sport at prison is gang-like activity? I mean, they all have a team captain and they work toward a goal!

And DMs don't give directions to players! Anyone who played D&D would KNOW that.

Argh, this is Mazes and Monsters all over again.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
And here I thought D&D only promoted Satanism.

This is an idiotic ruling. It good to give them something to do while in prison. And like Zoombie said, this could help rehabilitate them.

Reaction score
When I first heard about the game Dungeons and Dragons in summer camp probably circa 1980 or something it sounded like the greatest game ever.

And then they handed me dice and people were drawing and there were no dungeons or dragons or swords.

It's horrible.

And goes on forever.

I went back to sports during free play.

The end

Reaction score
And here I thought D&D only promoted Satanism.

This is an idiotic ruling. It good to give them something to do while in prison. And like Zoombie said, this could help rehabilitate them.

They need to learn a skill or get an education. So they can get a job.

Thats the only way to get rehabilitated and be able to make it on the outside.

Now...during their free time, if the nerdier cons want to play dungeons and dragons, I got no problem with that.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
"The Dungeon Master is tasked with giving directions to other players, which Muraski testified mimics the organization of a gang."
It also mimics the organization of pretty much every job I ever had.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Except, like Zoombie said, that's not the Dungeon Master's job at all.

The DM sets up a scene, and each player describes what their character does within that scene. They can work together or choose not to. If they don't like the location, they can say their characters go somewhere else.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Allowing inmates to play D&D and similar games enables the guards to identify evil min-maxers and deny their petitions for parole.

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
If you're worried about making inmates violent and dangerous, take away their WEIGHT SETS, not their D&D. Anyone remember who got beaten up in high school? Hmm?

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
As long as they don't start teaching them magic tricks, like escaping from a locked box, I'm fine with it.

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Dungeons & Dragons is the biggest threat to prison security ever. People who play this game can learn spells that let them control the minds of prison guards or hurl fireballs that do at least 5d6 damage to everything within twenty feet of the target. Not only that, but since the fourth edition of the game came out, players will gain the ability to inexplicably move 50% faster when going diagonally, giving them an advantage when fleeing from the bloodhounds.

Prisoners should be banned from unhealthy games like this. It's much better for them to spend their time getting stronger, organizing mega-gangs, reading the works of megalomaniacal dictators, and joining extremist fringe religions or racist groups.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Won't someone think of the halflings!

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
As a fan of halflings, I find that offensive.

They are perfectly capable of making reasoned decisions about their own futures.

Now...gnomes! Gnomes you have to babysit, or else they blow themselves up!

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Back in the 80's they said D&D could lead players to commit suicide...

I must of skipped over that rule in the Players manual...

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Back in the 80's they said D&D could lead players to commit suicide...

I must of skipped over that rule in the Players manual...

Well there's always the option to charge head-long into the monster's lair naked...but then you might wind up rolling a 20 on charisma and they decide you're too beautiful to kill. I don't wanna go further than that... <.<

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Until I see proof that either of these statements is true, I'm not going to care about any of this.

I don't really know about rehabiliation, but I don't think it's a stretch to say that it gives them something to do to pass the time. :)

Anyway, having known of some rather anti-social gamers who didn't get much better over time, I can't really say it rehabiliates people. But I don't think it makes things any worse, either, and it's definitely better than some alternative uses of time.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I don't really know about rehabiliation, but I don't think it's a stretch to say that it gives them something to do to pass the time. :)

And why does a prison need to give its prisoners something to do to pass the time? They're being punished. I don't really care that much if they're also bored.