Word Substitution...

Harry Douthwaite

Travel Videographer Extraordinaire!
Registered
In Time Out for My Sins
Reaction score
I'm currently working on my first novel, and I've noticed that I have a tendency to overuse certain verbs. Below is an example...

"Hurry up, Tim!" Jake chuckled, "We'll never get to Hertford at this rate!"

I'm looking for something that will effectively replace 'chuckled' with something involving a little more flavour. I have replaced "chuckled loudly" with "guffawed" - as in a loud, unrestrained burst of laughter. I think it sounds better.

Any ideas?

rainsmom

Feeling like an old timer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-c-alexander.com
I wouldn't recommend either, at least not as punctuated. Chuckles, laughs, and guffaws are sounds -- they're not ways of speaking text. You could do something like:

"Hurry up, Tim!" Jake chuckled and shook his head. "We'll never get to Hertford at this rate!"

Sorry, I just had to add the additional action. Stopping to laugh between those sentences just seems odd.

Harry Douthwaite

Registered
In Time Out for My Sins
Reaction score
Hmmm... It's an idea. I'll give it some thought. Really I'm looking for an alternative word for "chuckle".

PeterL

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
If you want to replace "chuckled", then try "chortled". It is almost always a mistake to used things like that as dialogue tags. It might be more effective to write, "Hurry up, Tim!" Jake said with a chuckle, "We'll never get to Hertford at this rate!"

But that brings up the question why he is laughing at never getting to Hertford. Is there something that makes that funny? If he is impatient, then why don't you say something gives that impression.

Lost World

He'll NEVER fit in!
Registered
Reaction score
You're using chuckled as a dialogue tag, a major no-no in modern fiction. I'm not a strict said/asked dialogue tagger, but chuckled or chortled or guffawed shouldn't serve as a tag.

How about this: Jake chuckled. "Hurry up, Tim! We'll never get to Hertford at this rate!"

Doing it this way you get the action across--Jake chuckling or whatever you decide on. After that comes his dialogue, unbroken and not awkward, and we know that he is speaking because of the simple sentence placed before the dialogue.

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
Harry,

Mine is "laughed." I have to edit it out of almost every chapter. Use "said," "whispered," and "asked" almost exclusively for dialog tags. Then add actions in a separate paragraph--even if those 'graphs are tiny.

Warm regards,

Lucie

mtrenteseau

Mild-mannered accountant by day...
Registered
Reaction score
My first foray into the grammar forum (normally a mystery/thriller/suspense poster).

As it's written, without context, it sounds to me like Jake considers getting to Hertford to be an unattainable goal anyway, which is why he sees Tim's actions as amusing.

I'm reading "chuckled" as a bit mean-spirited. "Snickered" would be even more so.

I try to use exclamation points only for one-word interjections and for shouting.

"Hurry up, Tim!" Jake shouted across the car park with a laugh. "We'll never get to Hertford at this rate!"

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
I have replaced "chuckled loudly" with "guffawed" - as in a loud, unrestrained burst of laughter. I think it sounds better.
How can someone chuckle loudly in the first place? A chuckle is relatively quiet by definition.

LynnKHollander

This space intentionally left blank
Registered
Reaction score
Unless you're writing a play, avoid the stage directions. 'Said' is what you need here.

Harry Douthwaite

Registered
In Time Out for My Sins
Reaction score
Thank you one and all for the constructive criticism and helpful advice. I will put it to the best use as possible. Perhaps you shall see more of my work in the "SYW" section in the coming weeks.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Unless you're writing for kids, ditch the dialogue tags and the exclamation marks.

Even then, you've already used more exclamation marks than you should find in an entire chapter.

Harry Douthwaite

Registered
In Time Out for My Sins
Reaction score
Unless you're writing for kids, ditch the dialogue tags and the exclamation marks.

Even then, you've already used more exclamation marks than you should find in an entire chapter.

Well... the intended audience is children between the ages of 11 and 14... probably Young Adult Fiction.