Editor Response (Or Lack Thereof)

ITFC_Rob

Registered
Reaction score
I recently had an editor ask for more time to read a story, saying he would "read it tonight and be in touch shortly." This was two weeks ago.

I am aware that the only thing that matters is a positive response, and no response is, in practical terms, a "no." That's not why I'm posting.

What I am wondering is, is there any sort of industry standard for waiting periods? Is it possible that this editor is assuming that I will give him six weeks, because "everyone knows" that six weeks is standard? Or, should I instead follow my heart and withdraw the story when I get fed up?

I want to give this editor every opportunity to read, enjoy, and ultimately to buy my story. On the other hand, I don't want it gathering dust when it could be on its way to another publisher who will want it.

Rejection is not a problem for me. Wasting time is. Is there a standard for this? Thanks (in advance) for your thoughts.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
This should probably be moved to a more appropriate section. In the meantime, my thoughts...

My last short story submission followed a similar pattern. I sent it in and quickly got a note back saying that the magazine editor loved it but wanted it to be longer. Also, the magazine had an upcoming theme, and the editor wanted to know if I could slant the writing to that.

I made the revisions immediately and sent it back, expecting to get a response in a week or two, especially seeing as my first response had been so timely.

Time passed. And passed. I wondered if the editor hadn't loved the new slant and ending. After a while, I just figured it was a reject. It was a big disappointment because I'd written the story specifically for this magazine and wasn't sure it was marketable elsewhere.

Then I got a letter back saying the editor loved it and asking if she could hold it for a few months before publication. I agreed.

Who knows why it took so long?

My advice is that the length of time you're willing to wait should be directly proportional to how bad you want to get published in that particular magazine (or whatever). Add extra time if you wrote the story specifically for that venue.

And two weeks is pretty darn short, in my experience (which isn't a hell of a lot, magazine-wise, but still).

Good luck, and I hope this one is a yes. :)

the addster

Registered
Reaction score
Website
addiepray.wordpress.com
Does this publication insist on exclusive submission?

If not, there is no reason not to submit it somewhere else. If the editor that is currently reading let's you know they want it, just withdraw the submission elsewhere.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
"Shortly" is the editor's good intentions. Competing priorities have probably intruded. I wouldn't take it as a "no" so much as a sign of a delayed response.

ITFC_Rob

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all very much. I will just say "om" and find the happy place, and turn my attention to my other projects rather than obsessing over this one.

radioflyer

Registered
Reaction score
Always follow your heart. But life does happen. Editors are just people. 6 weeks is a long time for reading...IMHO

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
You might want to check duotrope.com out. They have the average response times for short story markets. Unfortunately there isn't an industry standard. I've had responses in 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months and 6 months. But Duotrope should give you a good average waiting time.