PDA

View Full Version : From Submission to Rejection

Undercover
02-07-2011, 07:05 PM
I just submitted a query to an agent an hour ago and it is of course a no.

What's your fastest time from submission to rejection?
longest time? (like it really mattered...)

Ever get rejected even after an acceptance?

Been there, stilling doing it.
What's your story?

brainstorm77
02-07-2011, 07:11 PM
That is quick.

amyashley
02-07-2011, 07:11 PM
I'll play.

Shortest time, two hours. Longest time, six weeks.

I want to know if anyone got accepted after a rejection. THAT would be cooler.

stormie
02-07-2011, 07:18 PM
I just submitted a query to an agent an hour ago and it is of course a no. Believe me, you can get a "please send more" from an agent within hour after you submit a query.

What's your fastest time from submission to rejection?
longest time? (like it really mattered...) From submission of a query to an agent to a rejection--I'd say ten minutes. Really.

Ever get rejected even after an acceptance?

Been there, stilling doing it.
What's your story?
Not sure what you mean about "rejected after acceptance." If you mean after they request a full--yes. It happens. I even had an agent and he couldn't find a good home for my novel. I just don't give up. I move on. And I've had other acceptances through the years that help ease any pain of rejection.

Undercover
02-07-2011, 07:24 PM
I'll play.

Shortest time, two hours. Longest time, six weeks.

Hey Amy,

I got a few rejections after my acceptances with my first two books, it was silly to get after so long, I just laughed it off...but of course some of the comments sunk in, if ya know what I mean. It's a joke I tell ya!

JamieB
02-07-2011, 07:27 PM
Shortest query R - 2 min. Seriously, I saved the email.
Longest - a year, after I had my agent and was on submission. Those R's feel quite nice. :)

Undercover
02-07-2011, 07:27 PM
Not sure what you mean about "rejected after acceptance." If you mean after they request a full--yes. It happens. I even had an agent and he couldn't find a good home for my novel. I just don't give up. I move on. And I've had other acceptances through the years that help ease any pain of rejection.

Say you send out 3 submissions, the first one is an acceptance and your like wow so cool and a few days later publisher number two and three come around and say "It's not for us" sorta thing.

I'm talking simultaneous submissions, if that makes it any clearer. Thanks for your input.

brainstorm77
02-07-2011, 07:28 PM
Shortest query R - 2 min. Seriously, I saved the email.
Longest - a year, after I had my agent and was on submission. Those R's feel quite nice. :)

Two minutes? That must have been an auto-reject.:tongue

brainstorm77
02-07-2011, 07:29 PM
Say you send out 3 submissions, the first one is an acceptance and your like wow so cool and a few days later publisher number two and three come around and say "It's not for us" sorta thing.

I'm talking simultaneous submissions, if that makes it any clearer. Thanks for your input.

Different publishers want different things. That would be my guess to explain that.

JamieB
02-07-2011, 07:30 PM
Two minutes? That must have been an auto-reject.:tongue

He's an agent (former agent now) known for his quick response times...but yeah, 2 min. is a bit crazy.

Undercover
02-07-2011, 07:32 PM
Different publishers want different things. That would be my guess to explain that.

Makes sense. Not everyone is gonna like every submission. That's impossible, really. I never heard a story that someone sent out submissions and they all wanted it...but then again it could happen to someone that has a dynamite story I suppose.

brainstorm77
02-07-2011, 07:36 PM
It could and has happened(not to me). I have been rejected(non agent) and the responses always seemed to come within two weeks.

Anne Lyle
02-07-2011, 09:28 PM
I just submitted a query to an agent an hour ago and it is of course a no.

I got a request for partial in barely 90 minutes - so it's not "of course". Got the request for full a week later :)

Still waiting on others, after five months...

Maryn
02-07-2011, 09:31 PM
Longest, well over two years. I'd long since written them off as a no.

Maryn, shaking her head that they'd bother

kaitie
02-07-2011, 09:43 PM
My fastest rejection has been about ten minutes. The fastest request has been within the hour.

Longest rejection was something like six months, longest request was about four, I think. Longest rejection on a partial was eleven months lol. That was crazy. ;)

The longest submission I've ever had out was a translation sample I sent to Dark Horse. While I emailed back and forth initially with one of the guys there (he actually recognized my name because he was an alumni at the company I was working for), he had said they'd look over it. I didn't hear back for three years lol. Not kidding. That one cracked me up. :)

gothicangel
02-07-2011, 11:20 PM
My fastest rejection has been about ten minutes. The fastest request has been within the hour.

Longest rejection was something like six months, longest request was about four, I think. Longest rejection on a partial was eleven months lol. That was crazy. ;)

The longest submission I've ever had out was a translation sample I sent to Dark Horse. While I emailed back and forth initially with one of the guys there (he actually recognized my name because he was an alumni at the company I was working for), he had said they'd look over it. I didn't hear back for three years lol. Not kidding. That one cracked me up. :)

And I thought my four months on a partial was some kind of record. :D

Phaeal
02-07-2011, 11:39 PM
4.5 minutes for a query.

As for longest subs, I have some short stories that have been out for over eleven years now. ;)

Jersey Chick
02-07-2011, 11:40 PM
Quickest is probably about half an hour. Maybe less - it was a loooong time ago and I don't really remember. But I do remember being stunned I'd gotten a reply so quickly. It wasn't a good reply, but it was a reply.

Longest? A sub I sent out to a publisher probably 4 years ago, maybe 5. I don't remember that, either. I do know I wasn't living where I am now and we moved in back in '07. I tried following up on several occasions, only to have those ignored as well.

I'm assuming it's a no. :D

MikeGrant
02-09-2011, 08:03 PM

I'm on an R&R full with an agent here in the UK. I really did limp to the R&R, though, so I'll be flabbergasted if she ends up wanting to represent it. The revision is shedloads better, however.

tengraceapples
02-23-2011, 12:01 PM
Got rejection from agent, 4 mins after she asked for first 5 pages...
move ahead a few months...new rep who I love!!

hang in there: )

Deb
03-13-2011, 03:04 AM
Can someone tell me what the real advantage is to having an agent?

And then give me a short list of goods ones to select from?

I'm leaning toward self-publishing after a few rejects.

Thanks.

Deb

Kristoff
03-15-2011, 10:57 AM
Can someone tell me what the real advantage is to having an agent?

And then give me a short list of goods ones to select from?

I'm leaning toward self-publishing after a few rejects.

Thanks.

Deb

1) Having an advocate with industry contacts and years of experience in regards to the thousand facets of publishing that the average author knows nothing about is a good thing. Not having to deal with all the shite that agents deal with leaves you more time to, you know, write stuff (read Amanda hocking's blog for the other side of the story - she's very frank and honest)
2) Start with Agent Query and Query Tracker.
3) You will need to develop a skin as thick as tank armor if you want to last long doing this. Rejection is a part of a writer's life. You will undergo it constantly.

GL!

FictionChick
04-01-2011, 03:01 AM
JamieB, I got an R on a query in 2 minutes as well.

Request for full in 17 minutes from query.

Not the same agent. ;)