Seeking some advice

TheAntar

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I wrote for awhile for my work's technical publication, sort of a buying guide for users looking for a computer. Now, as I do this for work, I stay pretty up to date.

I love to write.

I feel like I should be able to combine the two into a saleable skill, but I honestly can't figure out where to start, how to start, etc.

In this business, is it typical to write first, then try to sell? Or more get hired as a writer, take assignments?

Content writing is fine, but I'm looking more for something concrete, where I can let my knowledge of how to put together sentences, my experience with computers - in particular, explaining complicated stuff in laymen's terms - and I am stuck.

I've read through the board quite a bit. I've dabbled, I've written a couple articles for a security Ezine that is since defunct, but I wrote, then sold the article. It paid allright for the work, about 50 bucks an article which to me is worth a 2-3 hour investment.

Anyway - is there a person out there who can offer advice on how to turn what I think is a marketable skill into a saleable product?

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Look for magazines in the field you want to write in. Research them and their guidelines. You have a better shot starting out with freelance material. Eventually, many may ask you for specific articles. Most mags assign work to known commodities. Make sure to include your credentials as an expert in any cover letter and prior relevant writing experience. Good luck.

Ulee_Lhea

Fear no darkness.
Registered
Reaction score
TheAntar,

I've been freelancing full time for eight months now, and I wish I knew more about computers and tech! There are so many great markets out there, including paper mags, websites, blogs and custom publications that could use a writer with technical know-how.

I'm also a fan of The Well-Fed Writer (mentioned by Stephanie D above), but it's focused on commercial writing for businesses (which could definitely use your skill!).

To learn how to best approach journalism-type markets (magazines, websites), check out How to Make a Real Living as a Freelance Writer by Jenna Glatzer. Another great resource: Six-Figure Freelancing by Kelly James-Enger.

Good luck! PM me if you ever want to chat.

krissybrady

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.krissybrady.com
I would suggest that you read "The Productive Writer" by Sage Cohen, which offers amazing tips on organizing your office, files, and your ideas for your future writing endeavours.

I would also recommend learning about writing query letters to publications, as this will be a great way to begin breaking into your niche market. The higher-end publications typically ask for a resume and sample writing clips, so maybe at first market your work to publications that accept unsolicited submissions to begin building your writing portfolio, then begin submitting to the high-end markets.