Consecutive Dialogue Paragraphs Spoken by the Same Character

jmarkbyrnes

Nobody and Nothin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jmarkbyrnes.com
How are consecutive dialogue paragraphs handled when they are spoken by the same character?

I have often seen it done by putting quotation marks at the beginning of the paragraph but not at the end until you reach the last paragraph being spoken by that character. Is this the proper way of doing it?

-papaholmz

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Indeed. Only the final spoken paragraph has the closing quotes.

-Derek

VoireyLinger

Angel Wing Fetish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.voireylinger.com
Quote at the beginning of paragraph one, no endquote, quote at the beginning of paragraph 2, endquote.

I think carefully before using. It can be awkward and very one-sided dialogue is slow reading.

jmarkbyrnes

Nobody and Nothin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jmarkbyrnes.com
Quote at the beginning of paragraph one, no endquote, quote at the beginning of paragraph 2, endquote.

I think carefully before using. It can be awkward and very one-sided dialogue is slow reading.

I agree. This is the first time I've ever thought about using it. And I'm not even sure I need to use it. On my blog (link in sig, most recent post) I wrote a brief character introduction where the character is introducing himself a bit by speaking to someone else, but you read what the one character is saying. It's almost as if he is speaking to the reader, or at least, A reader. If you don't mind, click on over and read it and see if it needs quotations marks.

If no one wants to click over :( I can re-post it here. Thanks.

-papaholmz

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I've never read a novel that didn't have more than one paragraph spoken by characters at some point. This does not make it anything like a one sided conversation. It simply makes it real, and grammatical.

If you want completely fake dialogue, never allow a character to say more than a single paragraph at a time.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's correct.

Forgive me, but if you've often seen it that way why are you wondering if it's wrong?

How are consecutive dialogue paragraphs handled when they are spoken by the same character?

I have often seen it done by putting quotation marks at the beginning of the paragraph but not at the end until you reach the last paragraph being spoken by that character. Is this the proper way of doing it?

-papaholmz

jmarkbyrnes

Nobody and Nothin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jmarkbyrnes.com
Forgive me, but if you've often seen it that way why are you wondering if it's wrong?

Because I've seen it done other ways. I've seen it where each paragraph has beginning and end quotes but seems to be spoken by the same character. I've also seen it where the dialogue is indented and blocked without quotes, and I'm sure I've seen it that way in fiction but can't find where.

Anyway, thank you all for your answers. I know how to properly do it now. But I am still uncertain if the one place I was thinking of using it needs it or not.

-papaholmz

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
here's what I've seen

I HATE unbalanced quotes. Which is what you get if you follow the rules for multiple spoken paragraphs. I have some college lectures in my book, and so of courses needed multiple spoken paragraphs.

So, I searched all my books. Yes, one character might speak in multiple paragraphs, but it is always broken by a short tag of some type. He looked up, she bent over, he stared at the audience, the clock ticked, there was silence. Whatever, something is put between paragraphs. Because paragraph after paragraph is a monologue, which is horribly dull, no matter how realistic.

Actually, it isn't that realistic. Because if you're a student stuck in a college class, how long could you listen to a professor drone on w/o doing something else - like look at your watch? A good professor doesn't drone, they DO something to break up the lecture. And as a good author, you should do the same.

In which case you can quote normally, because that breaks up the paragraphs.

I'm sure there in an exception to my observation. I've just never found it.

So, my 0.02 is always put something between any two spoken paragraphs, be it a tag, another character interrupting, anything. Then you'll write better and you don't have to follow what I think is a stupid rule.

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
I'm sure there in an exception to my observation. I've just never found it.
Plenty.

So, my 0.02 is always put something between any two spoken paragraphs, be it a tag, another character interrupting, anything. Then you'll write better
What makes your way 'better'?

and you don't have to follow what I think is a stupid rule.
It's not a rule, it's a convention. There's nothing particularly clever or stupid about it, it's just the way it's usually done. Understanding how things are usually done is a Good Thing.