I was awoken from my sleep.

I was awakened from my sleep.

Which is correct please?

Detri Redmond
01-22-2011, 07:28 AM
I think the second one

IWannaWrite
01-22-2011, 07:29 AM
I think the second oneThanks. Is awoken even a word? If so, when is it used?

amyashley
01-22-2011, 08:12 AM
"I was woken from my sleep."

This is probably the correct wording you need. I would steer clear of awaken for the type of book you are writing. It's a little, um, high language for a contemporary novel. Maybe if you were writing something historical or a high fantasy.

maestrowork
01-22-2011, 09:49 AM

I was awoken by the alarm clock.

Sentosa
01-22-2011, 12:35 PM
Thanks. Is awoken even a word? If so, when is it used?
My dictionary shows it as a past tense of awake. He was awoken by a knock at the door.

IWannaWrite
01-22-2011, 04:46 PM

I was awoken by the alarm clock.I don't understand how those two examples are different. Are you saying that the words can be used interchangeably?

bip
01-22-2011, 04:57 PM
I would go with "I was done woke up by that there alarm clock" :D

bonitakale
01-22-2011, 05:13 PM
My alarm clock woke me at seven.:Shrug:

Here's something about that:

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/awoken-or-awakened/

amyashley
01-22-2011, 07:29 PM
Great article!

maestrowork
01-22-2011, 10:06 PM
It's one of those baffling things about English. Awake. Wake. Awaken. Awoke. Woke. Awakened. WTF?

That and prepositions. Mind-boggling.

Karen Junker
01-22-2011, 11:56 PM
I was awoken from my sleep.

Which is correct please?

Both of these are a little passive. If you must have a character waking from sleep (one of the most common cliches and signs of a newbie writer), try something more active. How about: The alarm clock tore me out of a deep sleep.

IWannaWrite
01-23-2011, 12:00 AM
Both of these are a little passive. If you must have a character waking from sleep (one of the most common cliches and signs of a newbie writer), try something more active. How about: The alarm clock tore me out of a deep sleep.It's not for a novel; it is for a letter I am writing to complain about something as in "I was awakened from my sleep at 3 am by the rap music blaring from my neighbor's teenage son's car as he drove by my house." :(

Karen Junker
01-23-2011, 12:38 AM
Oh, well, in that case go for it! :)

blacbird
01-23-2011, 02:43 AM
I don't understand how those two examples are different. Are you saying that the words can be used interchangeably?

As near as I can tell, yes, they are interchangeable. For some reason, "awoken" just sounds off to me, like it's maybe archaic. If I hit it as a reader, that's what I would think. So maybe if your story is trying to convey something from a past era, or the like, it would work. If you're dealing with a modern setting, I'd go with "awakened".

But, in either case, it pretty much dictates a passive sentence construction, and you might avoid the question by recasting the sentence into an active construction.

Addendum: I posted this before I saw your last post, so it's a little irrelevant to that purpose. But as a general writing comment, maybe useful, so I'll leave it as is.

Susan Littlefield
01-23-2011, 06:02 AM
I would go with "I was done woke up by that there alarm clock" :D

:roll:

blacbird
01-23-2011, 09:46 AM
I would go with "I was done woke up by that there damn alarm clock" :D

Editorial correction.