January 2011 Just Hit Send?

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, Freelance Friends! For those of you who don't recognize the name, here's a brief introduction;

I was part of the original JHS forum. The board came about when a cyber-writer-friend and I were lamenting on the frustration with putting all the work into an article or query and then being unable to hit the send button. I belonged to the JHS thread month upon month for a few years. I made some really great friends; some I've kept in touch with and others I lost somewhere out there in cyberspace. Why did I leave? I wanted to write books. So, I did. And after an arduous process, I have good news to announce - my book, BREAKING THE CODE - A DAUGHTER'S JOURNEY INTO HER FATHER'S SECRET WAR will be published by traditional means in the fall of 2011!

Today on my blog, I posted about hitting the send button that would send my manuscript into the hands of the publisher. And that brought me back to the original JHS premise. I couldn't help but tell all about my fabulous JHS experience here on Absolute Write.

Anyway-nothing is for nothing. I believe my experiences here with freelancing were a spring board to my eventually being published. And I want to thank all of you. The kind words you give and the encouragement you offer make a huge difference in the lives of your fellow writers. Keep up the great work!

Sincerel,

Karen Fisher-Alaniz aka Bob

PS Didn't see a January JHS thread. So, I had to post a new thread. ~K

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! Boy--looks like the original JHS gang isn't around anymore. Boohoo! Oh well. Keep writing, everyone! ~Karen

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Yay Lavinia! Woohooo!!! I'm so happy for you. And you're right most of the gang isn't here. I actually started the last two or three threads because people have disappeared. :( I heard later that they were going to AW's Facebook page. I'm NOT on facebook and refuse to get on it because of the nature of my dayjob (foster care) I simply don't want to be found that way. lol
Anyway, for my JHS this year, I've given myself the goal of writing a book in a year. Given that things with work have been so crazy, I've stopped writing overall except for my current paying writing gigs. I've got two to keep me busy along with the dayjob and kiddo.
My book project is coming out as I'm experiencing life as a single mom. It'll be a year in April. I feel the lessons I've been learning would benefit someone else going through the same thing and I also want to add the therapeutic twist to it too. It's very emotional and painful and exciting all wrapped up at the same time. I've made several entries (lessons) already in my brand new writing book. And I've also taken the song "Dynomite" by Teo Cruz as my theme song for 2011. Because 2010 was THAT bad for me. lol emotionally. Other than that, it was rough, but I'm glad it's over.
I'm also thinking of revamping my personal writing site to write about hot topics that I want to share my opinion on. I've been sick for over a week and as I was home, I watched Live with Regis & Kelly and The View. And I love the banter that those shows have so I wanted to take my writer site for that. :) I haven't started that yet, but I'd like to in a few days (for February).
So what the heck are you all up to? I'd sure love to know. Miss you guys!

SpiderGal

Princess of Nerds
Registered
Reaction score
I participated in some of the JHS challenges, and I was part of the freelance community during 2007-08. It was awesome fun to be around here. The forum used to bubble with activity during that period, and there were many seasoned freelancers who posted here often.

But seems like everyone has moved on. I went to college. And some writers just moved over to other forums.

It's sad to see that all people discuss onthe freelance forum these days is how to crack into content mills.

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
congrats Livinia! what a great accomplishment!

I still lurk around, but getting a day job has cut into my writing time. I'm too tired when I get home at night and my mornings are full of chores that I don't want to do after work. It seems like I just can't win. I've taken to writing during my lunch and at night just before bed. Not what I'm used to, but at least I still get something accomplished.

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Yay Jen! Glad to see you all here everyone. I've been kinda lonely. lol
As for me, JHS this year is to work on my book for single moms. I've been writing "lessons" as I've been learning them. I hope to have a big collection by the end of the year to which I'll my therapeutic expertise as well. So that's what I'm doing. I figure that a year is long enough for me to work on my book while taking care of kiddo, working the dayjob, looking for a new dayjob, getting my mental health license and working the writing gigs.