How long should I wait?

ITFC_Rob

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings all, long time writer, first time cooler...

I submitted a short story to an anthology. Their guidelines said that they would respond "within two weeks." The guidelines also advised that should two weeks pass with no word, I should write them an email asking about it.

Well, you know what happened (based on the fact that I'm posting here). The two weeks passed with no word. I sent an email. No response; not even an acknowledgement that they received the story or the followup email. Nada.

There is nothing at the editors' website to indicate any cause for delay.

On one hand, I want to give these editors every opportunity to read, enjoy, and accept my story. On the other hand, if it's not going to be accepted, I want my story back out on the street hustling at another market seeking employment.

How long should I wait? Should I assume that whoever is fielding their email is asleep at the switch, politely withdraw my story and move on? Is there some grace period I should offer? Waiting indefinitely for someone to ask me to dance is not an option I'm willing to entertain.

You know the situation; what are your thoughts?

- Rob

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to the watercooler :welcome:

Take a wander around the various forums, there's lots to see and lots to learn, and even some fun threads too. Come along and pop on over to the brand new Newbie Pub (at the top of the Newbie forum) and say hi, there's plenty of friendly faces that you can chat with and lots of banter. There's also the Question of the Day threads at the top of the Newbie forum where you can answer random questions.

Don't forget to read the newbie guide, and if you want to know what all the buttons mean check out this thread.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Well, hmm, tricky one as it says they will respond in two weeks. In reality the industry moves pretty slow and a response within two weeks would be on the fast side if they did it. Some take months and months. Maybe wait another week and send another email, being polite and professional. In the meantime send the story somewhere else.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Hi Rob,

Welcome! :)

If it were me: Based on their two week resposne time, I would wait at lesat two weeks after your last email to either check back or send the story someone else, as the industry can often be slow. Anything could have happened on their end. If I didn't get a response within a few weeks, I might send my story somehwere else, because I would interpret their non-response as a no. Sometiems no response does mean no.

I sent a story to a market back in July. Their guidelines read they respond within three months. When they didn't respond back by the date, plus two weeks, I sent an email inquiring about the status. Right away, they emailed me back and said they were very behind and my story was in a pile of stories that had not yet been read. That was late October, early November. Here it is January and I have not received either a rejection, acceptance, or anything in between. I tell you this to show the publishing industry can be slow no matter what their guidlienss say.

Good luck!

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would send them one more email asking for a status update. If they don't respond, I push that story back out the door and make it earn its keep.