Character summary?

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I've got my eye on a particular publisher who are open to submissions. Their subs page says they require the first five chapters and...

We require a brief (two pages max) summary of characters, plot and your intentions/inspiration
Correct me if I'm wrong but this isn't the same as a synopsis, is it? Talking about inspiration and intentions isn't a problem at all, but how to handle the summary of characters and plot? Do I write it along the lines of -

CHARACTER A: Married with one child. Age 35 etc...
CHARACTER B: Married to A...
CHARACTER C: Best friends with B...

Or is this more of a A has been married to B for the last ten years; they have a baby daughter while C is single and lives alone...

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, basically. You just need to list the characters and their relationship to the storyline, starting with the most important. You can include a brief physical description if it's needed, but it's not really required. Two or three sentences about the main characters should do it, and maybe one sentence about important but minor characters.

It sounds like they want what is sometimes called a "short synopsis".

You could list your intention as "Have the book become a best-seller and make me a million dollars!" (I'm kidding!)

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Yes, basically. You just need to list the characters and their relationship to the storyline, starting with the most important. You can include a brief physical description if it's needed, but it's not really required. Two or three sentences about the main characters should do it, and maybe one sentence about important but minor characters.

It sounds like they want what is sometimes called a "short synopsis".

You could list your intention as "Have the book become a best-seller and make me a million dollars!" (I'm kidding!)

Cool. Thanks. Writing a synopsis is hard enough. Throw this into it and I'm about ready to tear my hair out...uh, wait a sec...

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There might be some information in Share Your Work / Query Hell about writing a good synopsis. I'm not sure; I didn't go look. There are some stickies at the top of the forum.

You don't have to go overboard on the character summary; just say who they are, their relationships to other characters, and how they fit into the story. You can probably do it in half a page.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Yeah, I got some good tips on a synopsis over there. I've got to be honest, this character summary thing is a new one for me. Most agents/publishers I've contacted want a straight synopsis and the first few chapters. Still, I've got a good feeling about this publisher so I want to get it right.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I understand, and the general rule is do whatever they ask for. Many publishers and agents seem to have something quirky they require in a submission. I know one of the children's book publishers I've submitted to wants "Exclusive submission" written all over everything, including the envelope you mail it in.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
As I'm hoping to sub to the same publisher...*takes notes*

It's the inspirations/intentions that's bugging me...'I had the intention of writing the best story I could....' or 'I wanted to write something that wasn't a romance'. I'm also not sure if 'A random comment about the Madeleine McCann case' is really what I should put for the inspiration, but it was.

ETA: My character summary isn't much better as yet. 'Rojan is a bit of a wanker'. I may need to expand that.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
As I'm hoping to sub to the same publisher...*takes notes*

It's the inspirations/intentions that's bugging me...'I had the intention of writing the best story I could....'

That was harder than I thought it would be. Everything I've come up with so far just makes me sound like a bit of a prat.

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
I think it's a roundabout way of asking where you see your book fitting in the market, and whether this is a standalone or an intended series. When I pitched to Marc in person, I talked about fantasy noir and how I liked it but found a lot of it overly macho and violent - I think at one point I may have said my book was "more Bogart'n'Bacall than Sin City" :)

So, I guess you really need to write a more business-letter version of the way you would pitch the project.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I think it's a roundabout way of asking where you see your book fitting in the market, and whether this is a standalone or an intended series.
So, I guess you really need to write a more business-letter version of the way you would pitch the project.

Interesting. That helps. Makes it more of a challenge, as well, but still a help. :D

Last edited:

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Why not try to put some of the character's voice into the summaries? That will give the agent a better idea of the voice of the book and how well rounded you've made them.

Jane Doe- Thirty-five year old Jane always wanted children--until she became a kindergarten teacher. With her husband pressing for fertility treatments, how can she tell him she's changed her mind, especially after their first pregnancy ended in miscarriage at eight months. If he only knew just how glad she was to send the little rug rats home at the end of the day, he's understand she's not cut out to be a mother.

John Doe- John is losing patience with his wife. It's been three years since Jane's miscarriage and he doesn't understand why she seems to be pussyfooting around getting pregnant again. After five years of sobriety, he's drinking again and hiding it from his wife. He can stop any time he wants. Once Jane gets pregnant, he'll put the bottle down for good.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Why not try to put some of the character's voice into the summaries? That will give the agent a better idea of the voice of the book and how well rounded you've made them.

Good idea. Will give it a go. Thanks. :)

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annelyle.com
Personally I would fold the name into the paragraph:

Jane Doe- Thirty-five year old Jane Doe always wanted children--until she became a kindergarten teacher. With her husband pressing for fertility treatments, how can she tell him she's changed her mind, especially after their first pregnancy ended in miscarriage at eight months. If he only knew just how glad she was to send the little rug rats home at the end of the day, he's understand she's not cut out to be a mother.

John Doe- John Doe is losing patience with his wife. It's been three years since Jane's miscarriage and he doesn't understand why she seems to be pussyfooting around getting pregnant again. After five years of sobriety, he's drinking again and hiding it from his wife. He can stop any time he wants. Once Jane gets pregnant, he'll put the bottle down for good.

That's what I did in my synopsis. Just don't put them in caps like a screenplay.

ETA: One rug-rat I could cope with, no problem. Thirty of the little buggers? Not so much :)

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annelyle.com
But you get the give the 30 back at 3:00, you have to keep the 1 24-7 ;).

But thankfully if they're your own, they're only rugrats for a short while - if you do it as a career, you're stuck with them permanently.

Sorry - completely derailed the thread there!

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
You've still got another six weeks before you can send it in, seun. Pity poor me, who is aiming to have her R&R with them by the end of January, to give them some time to read it before they disappear under that avalanche of partials :eek:

I pity you not at all, woman. :LilLove: