PDA

View Full Version : Twenty seven inches of MacINTOSH glory!

Fenika
01-08-2011, 07:23 PM
Woooooooo! What a beautiful system. I am a happy convert. I'm still trying to figure out Safari and all the little Apple quirks but so far so good.

I'm sure there are good tutorials for window converts online, but anyone want to point me to some before I google?

Also, :drool

Must watch a movie on this bad girl later. :e2woo:

Also, somewhere on here is a program that will presumably help me pull files off my backup drive. Help?

Cella
01-08-2011, 07:46 PM
I won't be of any help I just wanted you to know I'm jealous:D

Snowstorm
01-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of Mac. Yeah, I'm a convert. It took some time to figure it out. Once I did, all I could think of was that's it!? Simple and sweet.

You may want to take some time to wander around and find your way first. But if your backup drive is just a plug-in (I've never had one of those, only CD/DVDs and thumb drives), then all you have to do is plug it in, open a "Finder" window (similar to the folder windows in Windows) and drop and drag.

Have fun!

Fenika
01-08-2011, 08:11 PM
I found the finder and I found some user guides. The hunt for the help folder will have to continue later :)

I did however change my background to a lovely zebra. Wowza.

tiny
01-08-2011, 08:25 PM
When I first got mine, I hated it. Took about ten minutes to not hate it. I have two sitting on the desk at this moment. I loves them.

Fenika
01-08-2011, 08:42 PM
Nice. Thanks, Kelly. I'm still getting used to the menu bar being up there. And in this computer's case- Way up there and turn your head to the far right :D

Cheers everyone for the nice words. My mother is funny b/c she's like 'Oh, I hate Mac.' and I said: When the heck did you ever use a Mac?
Her: I tried them and I don't like them.
Me: I bet you used them for an entire 10 minutes total in your life. They are just different.

Later she admitted they are just different. She keeps popping by to see all the kewl stuff I can do. I can't wait to get this baby set up at home.

rhymegirl
01-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Also, somewhere on here is a program that will presumably help me pull files off my backup drive. Help?

My husband says it's called Time Machine. It does automatic backup.

I have no clue about these things; he is the Mac expert.

Medievalist
01-08-2011, 10:12 PM
The big thing is that in general, when you'd expect to right-click on Windows, you use the Control key.

Having said that, you can configure the Mac Mouse to work like a Windows mouse.

This is an Apple site for Switchers:

http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/

It's pretty good. I'd start looking at it right now.

Medievalist
01-08-2011, 10:13 PM
My husband says it's called Time Machine. It does automatic backup.

I have no clue about these things; he is the Mac expert.

No; that's not what she means.

She is referring to using the Migration Assistant.

Fenika
01-08-2011, 10:23 PM
I tried to mess with Time machine, but it apparently wants an external HD to make 'snapshots' to...

And migration assistant. Excellent. And thanks for the other tips :) I've already turned on the right click feature b/c I don't wanna go insane...

Now, on Safari, how in the world do I get it to tab to Post Quick Reply or is this a coding fault? In firefox I could hit tab, tab, and enter to post reply. Here the second tab takes me all the way to forum jump (no idea what the first tab does, but hitting tab, enter does nothing).

Medievalist
01-08-2011, 10:30 PM
Well, you could download and install Firefox.

I'd suggest checking the Tab settings in Safari.

All apps have their Preferences (or settings) in the same place under the menu that bears the app's name.

Start checking those out as a matter of course.

Also: the Dock can be moved and re-sized and the Finder has settings under View.

So look at the System Prefs under the Apple menu, too. They're huge.

One thing you should do right now is go to System Prefs/Users and create a new account called Test. Use a password you won't forget, ever, and give that account Admin privs.

Then never ever use it. Don't change it, don't customize. Leave it as is.

That gives you a quick and easy way to determine something odd is local, to your account, or system wide. And it gives you an emergency alternative account.

Fenika
01-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Okay, I'll go check it out

What does merge all windows do? I'm afraid to check it out :tongue

Fenika
01-08-2011, 10:54 PM
Ah ha! I had to go to advanced settings and there it was. Now I tab once to highlight quick reply. Cheers :D

BardSkye
01-08-2011, 11:02 PM
I'm playing with my new Macbook at work (no internet access, though, dammit). I've found their inbuilt Help section so far has given me every answer I've needed. Much more helpful than the Windows version.

I do have one question I'm not sure of, though. Would an ITunes music file from their "ITunes for windows" application play if I copied it into the straight Mac ITunes on the laptop? I don't know if the coding used to allow Windows to play ITunes affects just the program or the files within it.

Medievalist
01-08-2011, 11:38 PM
Would an ITunes music file from their "ITunes for windows" application play if I copied it into the straight Mac ITunes on the laptop? I don't know if the coding used to allow Windows to play ITunes affects just the program or the files within it.

Yep. Don't move them by hand to the folder, just put the files on the desktop, launch iTunes, and drag-and-drop them or use the Add to Library option in the File menu of iTunes; iTunes will import/copy the files for you.

You can then delete the ones on the Desktop.

Fenika
01-09-2011, 12:00 AM
I am tempted to d/l firefox, but I'm giving Safari a chance. I don't currently have internet at home, so web browsing isn't going to happen until February.

BenPanced
01-09-2011, 12:18 AM
And when you're ready for it, I highly recommend setting things up with Spaces. I have one for Microsquash Orifice, one for Mac's iWork, one for Mac's iLife, one for intarwebz use, and one for miscellaneous writing apps that aren't part of a larger package. It makes switching back and for sooooooooooo much easier!

BardSkye
01-09-2011, 12:53 AM
Yep. Don't move them by hand to the folder, just put the files on the desktop, launch iTunes, and drag-and-drop them or use the Add to Library option in the File menu of iTunes; iTunes will import/copy the files for you.

You can then delete the ones on the Desktop.

That'll be my project for tonight, then, thank you.

Fenika
01-09-2011, 03:52 AM
Okay, now I need tech help. I got the external HD plugged in, and it flashed up time machine and said the drive needs formatting. The HD isn't coming up on the desktop...

Damn it. It wants to erase all data. Make it play nice plz. I spent all afternoon backing up my Toshiba/Windows XP system.

charlotte49ers
01-09-2011, 03:56 AM
Enjoy it! I love mine! I don't know anything about the issues you're having though. Sorry! :(

Medievalist
01-09-2011, 04:23 AM
Okay, now I need tech help. I got the external HD plugged in, and it flashed up time machine and said the drive needs formatting. The HD isn't coming up on the desktop...

Damn it. It wants to erase all data. Make it play nice plz. I spent all afternoon backing up my Toshiba/Windows XP system.

How did you back it up?

Do you have the computer there? It's easier to just connect the two computers.

Look at this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2518

Fenika
01-09-2011, 04:49 AM
I backed it up with Retrospect. I do need it to work with both computers at some point in the future. Will look into connecting them for now.

Medievalist
01-09-2011, 04:51 AM
I backed it up with Retrospect. I do need it to work with both computers at some point in the future. Will look into connecting them for now.

You would need Retrospect on the Mac to read the files.

Retrospect automatically compresses and encrypts backup files.

If you simply dragged over files to the drive, even entire folders of them, you could move them between the two computers.

You can even connect the drive to one and Share it over your local network.

But for now, Retrospect is your problem.

Medievalist
01-09-2011, 04:53 AM
Don't reformat the drive on your Mac; Macs read Windows drives easily; it's trickier going the other way 'round.

Fenika
01-09-2011, 05:16 AM
I backup-copied files rather than compress them b/c I almost died once when my laptop died and I couldn't uncompress the files on the external drive.

I'll try just transferring files and then reading them on the mac, but there's file folders on there now...

It's a WD drive btw...

Fenika
01-09-2011, 05:23 AM
x.x

Preformatted for PCs. Designed for use with Windows-based computers. Can be easily reformatted for use with Macs.

Now what :e2cry:

Medievalist
01-09-2011, 05:58 AM
They mean that you can easily reformat the drive to work with Macs, but that it's already formatted for Windows.

Don't reformat it if you want to share the drive.

Macs can read Windows drives.

Did you read the stuff about migration on the link I posted?

Fenika
01-09-2011, 06:13 AM
Yeah, I read the link. I was going to try hooking them up via an ethernet cable. I got distracted by dinner and being bummed about the external drive... I shall try the ethernet cable now, but first I must find a cable...

So how can I get the Mac to read this external drive? Can I hook up the external HD and do this:

In the Finder on your Mac, choose Connect to Server from the Go menu to open the window.
Type your PC's network address in the Server Address text box using one of these formats:

smb://DNSname/ShareName
smb://IPaddress/ShareName

Fenika
01-09-2011, 06:39 AM
Um, I'm totally clueless. Which IP do I use when there's two listed under IP config? The ethernet one I assume?

Also, what is the ShareName? The laptop's computer name? Am I missing a step here?

Thank you to all the nice folks helping me.

Medievalist
01-09-2011, 06:48 AM
I'd try both; it won't hurt anything. I'd start with the Ethernet one.

The other option is to use a Jumpdrive/Thumbdrive/USB keychain device

Or a free DropBox account, with the free app installed on both machines.

With some Windows machines you have to use a special Ethernet cable designed to connect two computers directly; it's called a crossover cable, but these days, that's fairly rare.

This has instructions for the Mac: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2518

Fenika
01-09-2011, 07:32 AM
Neither IP worked :\

Can I partition the external HD, or will it still not recognize that my PC files exist on it when I connect it to the Mac?

I have wayyyy too much for anything but direct or external HD share (though I do have dropbox and already have that set up on the Mac. So at least my word files and some random ones are on here)

Medievalist
01-09-2011, 07:53 AM
I would not partition the drive at this point.

We WILL get your files over.

This may be a stupid question--so please forgive me.

How are you connecting the drive to your Mac, when you directly connect it?

Medievalist
01-09-2011, 08:00 AM
It's times like this that I wish I could just, you know, transport myself to someone's house, and help.

Fenika
01-09-2011, 08:34 AM
I'd gladly invite you :D Plus, I have oatmeal cookies!

I am connecting the drive via USB cable. I could ... *walks behind the monitor to stare at the externalHD* No, USB is the only option.

AlexPiper
01-09-2011, 09:07 AM
I probably should let Medievalist take the lead on this one, but just to interject for a moment... if you load Disk Utility, does it see the drive and any partitions on it?

Go to 'Applications' in the Finder sidebar, go to the Utilities folder, and then run Disk Utility. It should show you the drive(s) in your computer, as well as any external storage devices plugged in. If it can't see the drive at all, something's wrong. (If it can see the drive, but can't see the partition on it, something /else/ is wrong.)

Also, the other question I suppose I should ask is whether, if you plug the drive in on Windows, you can still see the files there. (I only ask because both WD MyBook drives in this house died horrible deaths; in each case it worked fine, then the drive was unmounted, then the next time it was plugged in, nothing could see it.) If the drive doesn't show up even on Windows, there's not much point in trying to keep putzing with it on the Mac side. :/

Fenika
01-09-2011, 09:13 AM
Okay, I found the eHD under both Disk Utility and System profiler. And I have hardly moved the drive an inch since backing up the Toshiba, but in a second I'll reconnect them and make sure it reads those folders (normally I do, I got lazy/distracted this time).

First, let me play with this disk utility a little...

Fenika
01-09-2011, 09:15 AM
HA! There it is! :hooray:

Kisses all around.

Any tips for pulling off all doc/jpg/etc files off the eHD? *goes back to page 1 to see if there was a tip there*

tiny
01-09-2011, 09:16 AM
I wish I could help. Mine were all on our 'network' which I didn't set up, so I all I did was grab and go. You will figure it out.

** Oh fantastic, you got it :D

Medievalist
01-09-2011, 09:21 AM
How are the files organized on the external drive?

Is there, for instance, a Documents folder?

It's easier to copy more, and delete individual files, sometimes.

Fenika
01-09-2011, 09:31 AM
The files are organized exactly as they were on the Toshiba. Which is to say some are organized great and others are like a million monkeys at typewriters, trying to punch out Shakespeare....

:D

Medievalist
01-09-2011, 09:31 AM
You might want to look at your Preferences and make sure you've got external drives checked, so it'll show on your Desktop.

Fenika
01-09-2011, 09:32 AM
Cheers. I found that and did that when I was playing around in there. It's quite handy.

Medievalist
01-09-2011, 09:37 AM
The files are organized exactly as they were on the Toshiba. Which is to say some are organized great and others are like a million monkeys at typewriters, trying to punch out Shakespeare....

:D

I'd probably just work my way down the folder hierarchy then, opening each folder and sub-folder to see what's there.

At this point, don't bother with anything that ends in .exe

.txt
.doc
.docx
.htm
.html
.jpg
.gif
.png
.psd
.xls
.mp3
.mov
.wav
.m4v

And lots of others I can't rememeber should move over fine.

You can tell iTunes on your Mac to go find all the files it can read--but keep in mind that it WILL copy into iTunes things like game sound or video files.

Fenika
01-09-2011, 09:42 AM
I used to have a great collection of movie sound clips :) But I losted them...

Cheers, Medi!

bettielee
01-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Just sit back and revel in the delicousness....

mmmm.... apple.....

Fenika
01-09-2011, 05:39 PM
Mmmm, I'm reveling. Oh glorious Mac, you are so awesomesauce.

Can someone tell me where the keyboard and display settings are. I found them a hundred times at the start and now I can't find them! :roll:

Fenika
01-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Awesome, thank you. And as I was playing with the keyboard settings, I found the hotkeys for the display brightness and had a 'duh' moment ;)

Fenika
01-09-2011, 08:47 PM
I have been known to wince, pray, and hit a key :D

Medievalist
01-09-2011, 10:09 PM
Awesome, thank you. And as I was playing with the keyboard settings, I found the hotkeys for the display brightness and had a 'duh' moment ;)

You'll notice you've got a key with fn on it on your keyboard.

That changes the way the hotkeys work.

Fenika
01-09-2011, 10:15 PM
Yep. My fav is fn F11, which I had to look up. Try it, Kelly :D (hint- have some windows open and full screen.)

Medievalist
01-09-2011, 10:23 PM
Have you found the Help yet?

Go to Finder
See Help on the menu bar; last text item
Click Help
Choose Mac Help
Read

Fenika
01-09-2011, 10:29 PM
Yep, but thank you. I've pulled it up so I can remember to read it later.

Medievalist
01-09-2011, 10:31 PM
Yep, but thank you. I've pulled it up so I can remember to read it later.

I've been using Macs since 1989.

I've been working on books about the Mac since the early 1990s, and I still learn new stuff from Help.

There are, for instance, zillions of key board short cuts.

kayleamay
01-10-2011, 08:42 PM
You know what they say. "Once you go Mac, you never go back." I love mine. I'm lucky my kids are all old enough to think for themselves, because if the house caught fire I'd probably rescue the Mac first.

Fenika
01-11-2011, 12:06 AM
LOL @ both of you.

I am stuck in a hotel room with my Toshiba and my poor Mac is sitting boxed up at home. *Has withdraw*

SlightlyEpic
01-11-2011, 12:32 AM
Woooooooo! What a beautiful system. I am a happy convert. I'm still trying to figure out Safari and all the little Apple quirks but so far so good.

I'm sure there are good tutorials for window converts online, but anyone want to point me to some before I google?

Also, :drool

Must watch a movie on this bad girl later. :e2woo:

Great thread title! :)

What made you change... was it peer pressure (friends)?

Or was it the Mac TV commercials? I loved the series of commercials with the dorky PC guy saying "I can do everything... well, except that, and except that, and except that... oops, I think I need to reboot." Mac does a good job with their advertising.

Fenika
01-11-2011, 12:40 AM
Lately I've been fed up with microcrap and finally realizing that switching to Mac would be a good idea, particularly since I need something different than my netbook.

I caught iPhone love, suddenly and unexpectedly, but since I won't be getting one soon, I realized I should definitely go for a Mac as my next computer and skip shopping for microsoft systems entirely. I walked into an Apple store and less than a month later I bought the iMac.

I don't watch much cable, so all I can say is the Mac ads of a few years ago annoyed me. I have seen the Mac Air ads, and they are simple and effective (yet I went with a system that could crush the Air, heh)

/ramble

Medievalist
01-11-2011, 12:45 AM
Itís only easier for you, itís not easier for me. I know how to open a new window, donít show me how to open a new window in a new window in a new window - thatís stupid.

It's really important to me that the user has what he or she wants.

There's typically at least 3 ways to do pretty much anything on a Mac.

The "right" one is the one that works for that user.

I always strongly suggest that people don't let someone else unpack and set up their new Mac, but it for themselves.

Medievalist
01-11-2011, 12:46 AM
I caught iPhone love, suddenly and unexpectedly, but since I won't be getting one soon, I realized I should definitely go for a Mac as my next computer and skip shopping for microsoft systems entirely. e

Right now, the former 99.00 iPhone is 49.00.

The pricey part is a plan for the phone.

Fenika
01-11-2011, 01:04 AM
Yes, the plan is the part I can't quite afford. Especially not the way they limit the data :(

Hopefully Verizon will start a price war.

Medievalist
01-11-2011, 02:11 AM
What I really would like is some kind of a pay-as-you-go for iPhones.

I use the WiFi and Skype more than I use cell service.

Fenika
01-11-2011, 02:22 AM
Yeah, but companies would only do that if they thought they could get rich by gouging you...

Fenika
01-11-2011, 04:16 AM
Blasphemy! It's not a phone. It's awesome in a magic touchscreen window. Squared.

The call feature is occasionally handy. Like when your truck breaks down at the top of a mountain and you've got 4 animals on board and a trailer hitched up. *nods*

Medievalist
01-11-2011, 04:20 AM
You know, people frequently rag me about my iPhone.

Granted, I'm a devout cult member. My iPhone, which died recently, is a generation 1 iPhone.

As you may or may not know, I don't see very well, and have a hard time navigating.

The iPhone made it possible for me to get a map showing where I was, and how to get to where I wanted to go.

The iPhone allowed me to take pictures as I walked, so I could get back without getting lost.

The iPhone allowed me to take pictures of street signs and airport signs that were too high up for me to read well.

So for me, (and I know I'm atypical) it's not really a luxury item in the ordianary way.

For me, the iPhone helps me be independent.

Fenika
01-11-2011, 04:24 AM
Who told you how I ended up living on this mountain top!!!
I want names!!! :D

I'll never tell!

And Medi- that's awesome you got so much use out of your phone. Sorry about your vision. Did you let Apple know how their phone helped you?

Medievalist
01-11-2011, 04:58 AM
Did you let Apple know how their phone helped you?

They gave me the phone, so I could write some docs and white papers.

Fenika
01-11-2011, 06:14 AM
Kewl.

BardSkye
01-12-2011, 02:58 AM
The only thing I'm finding a bit difficult to get used to with the new Macbook is using keyboard shortcuts rather than a mouse. Not too bad on most programs, but it's driving me crazy with entering music in my Songwriter program. For some reason, it won't let me use the mouse properly. I put a note on the staff and it won't stay anchored. I can double-click to anchor it, but that erases any ties or other incidental stuff. It's exactly the same program as on my desktop, which works fine.

The Songwriter help section isn't, much. It briefly says I can use the mouse, then starts extolling the joys of keyboard shortcuts and goes into exhaustive detail. ("Click such-and-such and enter the name of the note you want." I don't know the name of the note I want. That's one reason I'm using a computer program to enter the music: so I can hear what I'm doing. I don't read music.)