PDA

View Full Version : I named a character after my husband,

heyjude
01-02-2011, 01:33 AM
shot him in the head, dumped the body, and the killer never had so much as a twitch about it.

In my defense, I didn't realize the character was going to get killed. Then I forgot to change the name. Hubby is reading the ms and is a little... hmm... how to put it... perturbed, maybe? I asked him if he wanted me to change the name and he said "No, it's fine. Really. Fine." But now he won't turn his back on me... :e2shrug:

Do I change the name? Or let it be? :tongue

MarkEsq
01-02-2011, 01:48 AM
Would Freud have something to say about this?!

I voted to leave it. If he says he's fine, he is. And if not, he shouldn't lie. :)

Think of it this way: you're writing crime fiction. He features (okay, his name) in a crime. In your fiction. What a compliment!

Petroglyph
01-02-2011, 01:56 AM
Very funny! I'm sure it was a natural evolution of the story.

lbender
01-02-2011, 01:57 AM
I would never have considered naming a character after my wife or any of my kids. The risk is too high that, no matter how many good characteristics she might have, they might fixate on the one bad one and feel offended or upset. I do use episodes from our lives, and mix and match certain features from my loved ones to make my characters. However, to have a well-rounded character, there has to be bad stuff. Too risky.

Having said that, and I really don't want to offend you, but that story is hilarious...although I know it isn't for you. Unfortunately, you can't go back and make it undone. From what you say, it sounds like it bothers him. If you want to stay married, I'd probably (seriously, this time) suggest telling him that you realized this character really is nothing like him, so you'll be changing the name.

Good luck.

heyjude
01-02-2011, 01:59 AM
Having said that, and I really don't want to offend you, but that story is hilarious...although I know it isn't for you.

Oh, lbender, you're right! It is hilarious! (To me. Not sure to hubby...) :D

Stanmiller
01-02-2011, 02:00 AM
What if you'd had him run off with another woman first? Then you'd have been justified in doing the deed. We'd be watching your story on A&E's Deadly Women. Cool, we'd say.

Namatu
01-02-2011, 02:43 AM
Heh heh.

That's pretty much all I have to say. You did it, he's reading it. At this point your question's kind of moot. :D

tarak
01-02-2011, 04:23 AM
I did something similar. My MC is a widow - her husband was Greek and so is mine, but that's the only similarity. My husband was more amused than anything else. My sister was reading the MS and said, "Oh, she is married. Oh my God, you killed him!"

Probably the most reprehensible character in my MS is named after an old roommate of mine. My mom called me on that one. :)

Jwriter
01-02-2011, 06:13 AM
Eh, I'm going to go against the flow here and say if you know it bothers him, regardless of what he says, and another name will do the job just as well, change it. Consider it a little good-faith sacrifice in the interest of family harmony. If the name you have is the only one that really works (I mean, you can't replace an Alexander with a Wilbur, for example), then you're probably stuck trying to convince him you didn't mean it that way...

kaitie
01-02-2011, 06:48 AM
I named a character in a story after a friend once. I lovingly refered to the character as "little dead boy" considering he was promptly shot in the head by my MC, who wasn't the kindest person in the world. Uh...to my credit, said friend knew about this in advance and had a couple of options lol.

Your story cracked me up, though. No idea if I'd change it or not. For my friend and I, it was an ongoing joke for years. If I'd thought he was really offended, I'd probably have changed it, though. Okay, I would have. I'm a total softy like that.

I say right after admitting my MC murdered a child...

Maybe Kaitie has a mean streak, too. :tongue

thothguard51
01-02-2011, 07:18 AM
I have a friend who is a very big supporter of my writing. After three book, I name a character after him and even gave him some of my friends characteristics. Unsure how this will end, but I told him about it and now his wife wants me to use her as a character...

I asked if the character could be a sex slave and she backed off... (Hubby though told me to go for it...) ; - )

heyjude
01-02-2011, 04:05 PM
:roll: You guys are too much.

When I was creating the poll I got a phone call and didn't tick the option to make the choices public, but I want to know who's voting that I have a mean streak.

Who, moi? :e2file:

Mystery1
01-02-2011, 05:13 PM
Cute story, but I voted 'yes'. :)

Sharon

Jamesaritchie
01-02-2011, 05:40 PM
Other than the protagonist, nearly every character I use has the name, physical description, and personality of people I know, be it friends, family, or acquaintances. The only exception is when I use a famous person that I don't know personally, but have seen in interviews or other situations, well enough to get them down on paper.

sheadakota
01-02-2011, 06:50 PM
I name characters after people I know all the time- I say leave it, just tell your hubby to sleep with one eye open-:evil

kaitie
01-02-2011, 08:12 PM
Hey, maybe he'll do the dishes more often, too! :D

thothguard51
01-02-2011, 08:24 PM
As a side note...

I have had friends at parties and other social functions warn strangers to watch what they say around me because it will end up in one of my books. (Shruggs)

Now I know they were teasing, but it makes me wonder if they really are worried that what they say will end up in a story, or if they want their story to be included. (Big grin)

Haggis
01-02-2011, 08:32 PM
*points at heyjude and laughs*

:roll:

Snowstorm
01-02-2011, 08:46 PM
Change it. It seems to be bothering you that it may be bothering Hubby. Wouldn't hurt to change it, unless there's something about the name in the novel whereby it has a deeper meaning that effects other things.

C.bronco
01-03-2011, 07:13 AM
If you like your husband, it might be a good idea to change the name. :)

frimble3
01-03-2011, 07:49 AM
Maybe your husband, deep down, is okay with it, but how will the friends and family feel? Will you be getting funny looks at family events after the book comes out?

heyjude
01-03-2011, 03:47 PM
If you like your husband, it might be a good idea to change the name. :)

I like him okay, but we all have our days... :rolleyes:

Maybe your husband, deep down, is okay with it, but how will the friends and family feel? Will you be getting funny looks at family events after the book comes out?

Ha! Great point, never thought of that! Maybe I should wait to see if it gets picked up...

quickWit
01-03-2011, 04:15 PM
shot him in the head, dumped the body, and the killer never had so much as a twitch about it.

Do I change the name? Or let it be? :tongue

That depends - have you had to remind him to take the garbage out since?

HistorySleuth
01-03-2011, 07:01 PM
That depends - have you had to remind him to take the garbage out since?

Is their anything you love now missing after said garbage was taken out?

HistorySleuth
01-03-2011, 07:06 PM
I say change it --- he may demand a percentage of the profits if you leave it in. :D

Oh wait--- not heartfelt enough --- poor hubby (is that better?) Hey, what has he said in the last few days about it?

I used the first name of the tattoo artist up the street because he gave me some pointers for something else I'm working on. He thought it was cool, and hoped he was a bad guy. I reassured him he was.

muse
01-04-2011, 12:52 AM
I voted no. A wife should always do what her hubby says. :rolleyes:

And I don't think you're mean. Mean would be if you actual did shoot him in the head, dump his body, and not have so much as a twitch about it. :evil

Kaiser-Kun
01-04-2011, 12:58 AM
But now he won't turn his back on me... :e2shrug:

Men shouldn't be the ones turning their back on women. If you know what I mean. Geddit? *nudge nudge, wink wink*

...OkI'mshuttingupnow.

Sagana
01-04-2011, 02:57 AM
Oh, this is so funny. I read it to my husband. He laughed. Obviously, my next victim to be named after him.

Shringarey
01-04-2011, 09:27 PM
Change It! Right Now!!! Don't mess around. Why r u taking the risk???

heyjude
01-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Oh wait--- not heartfelt enough --- poor hubby (is that better?) Hey, what has he said in the last few days about it?

Now that you mention it, he hasn't said a whole lot to me at all... :D

Change It! Right Now!!! Don't mess around. Why r u taking the risk???

I'm having too much fun... and besides, I really do have a mean streak. Ha!

No, I probably will end up doing. It does seem excessively mean.

Namatu
01-04-2011, 10:44 PM
No, I probably will end up doing. It does seem excessively mean.Wait. Did you torture the character first? There's nothing mean about killing a character. It happens. It's not your fault. Story rules!

I avoid naming characters after anyone I know. I don't want anyone getting any ideas that I secretly think they're caustic annoyances or wear stinky cologne and I'm just too kind to tell them. Not that most people I know get to read what I write, but I like to keep my worlds separate.

grizzletoad1
01-04-2011, 11:59 PM
My main female character is 25 years old and gorgious. I gave her my wife's personality and name as her middle name. My wife thinks she's my "fantasy chick." I told her, "But honey, she's really you, just packaged differently!" The stitches come out next week! (Ha ha!!)

Elaine Margarett
01-05-2011, 12:16 AM
Are we talking first and last name? Then I'd change it. First name only? No biggie.

heyjude
01-05-2011, 12:54 AM
Wait. Did you torture the character first? There's nothing mean about killing a character. It happens. It's not your fault. Story rules!

It's quick, and painless. And really, it's his fault. Show up unannounced at a drug lord's compound in the middle of the night looking for the drug lord's woman and what did he think was going to happen? :Shrug:

My main female character is 25 years old and gorgious. I gave her my wife's personality and name as her middle name. My wife thinks she's my "fantasy chick." I told her, "But honey, she's really you, just packaged differently!" The stitches come out next week! (Ha ha!!)

:ROFL:

Are we talking first and last name? Then I'd change it. First name only? No biggie.

First name only...

Namatu
01-05-2011, 02:05 AM
It's quick, and painless. And really, it's his fault. Show up unannounced at a drug lord's compound in the middle of the night looking for the drug lord's woman and what did he think was going to happen? :Shrug: Tsk. That is his fault.

skbardwell
01-09-2011, 05:54 AM
I'd change it. What if something happens to your husband (dog forbid)? Who are the police going to be looking at after they read your ms?

Zelenka
01-09-2011, 05:59 AM
I told a friend once I was writing a story and she actually asked me to base a character off her and have that character killed. Then she and a couple of my other friends started comparing what they wanted their characters to do in the story and how, in graphic detail, they wanted to be killed off. But then I always did have kinda weird friends...

I'm always a bit iffy about naming characters after people I know, even the one I based on the most awful, horrible, just-makes-you-want-to-slap-him producer I ever worked with. I have a character in my WIP just now who's my MC's uncle and is called Vilem, which I'll have to change as it's far too close to my uncle William, and has kind of been inspired by him...

IWannaWrite
01-13-2011, 06:17 AM
I can't give my characters the name of someone who is close to me. I can't develop them without thinking about the person I know in real life. If you have already developed the character, maybe it is not a big deal for you, but I would change the name anyhow.

heyjude
02-04-2011, 06:40 PM
I was still on the fence about this, but now I'm sure. The name stays. :evil

sheadakota
02-04-2011, 07:16 PM
See- I knew I liked you for a reason:evil

Kate Thornton
02-04-2011, 08:13 PM
On P. 89 of Sue Ann Jaffarian's MURDER IN VEIN, the nice couple are me & DH - real names & all. I turn out to be a vampire & get killed off in a later book, I think, while Hubby has a Viking send off himself...We were delighted to be killed by such an accomplished author!

quickWit
02-04-2011, 08:34 PM

That's the spirit, Jude. Keep him in line.

muse
02-04-2011, 10:48 PM

Good for you! :TheWave:

mtrenteseau
02-05-2011, 12:55 AM
On P. 89 of Sue Ann Jaffarian's MURDER IN VEIN, the nice couple are me & DH - real names & all. I turn out to be a vampire & get killed off in a later book, I think, while Hubby has a Viking send off himself...We were delighted to be killed by such an accomplished author!

I'm at a bookstore right now, and when I read this I went straight for it.

Unfortunately, they only had Ghost a la Mode.

Lyxdeslic
02-05-2011, 04:42 AM
Kill 'im. :D

My female mc is 100% my wife, but I gave her a different name. She's strong-willed, independent, curses like a sailor, always there for those in need, a total slob, and eats like a pig.

Then my antag is married to a woman who I did give my wife's name. He briefly describes her as an annoying "C" word. I don't think I meant anything by it. :Shrug:

But it might explain why we're separated and headed for divorce.

Lyx

heyjude
02-05-2011, 03:53 PM
Oh man this thread makes me laugh.

Can you tell he really, really, really pissed me off yesterday? I'm over it today (mostly), but whatevs. The name stays.

muse
02-06-2011, 01:14 AM
Can you tell he really, really, really pissed me off yesterday? I'm over it today (mostly), but whatevs. The name stays.

I can now. :roll:

Kate Thornton
02-06-2011, 11:59 AM
I'm at a bookstore right now, and when I read this I went straight for it.

Unfortunately, they only had Ghost a la Mode.

Oh, no! Sue Ann writes 3 series: Odelia Grey Paralegal mysteries, Ghost of Granny Apples Myteries and the Murder in Vein vampire mysteries. She a hard-working and prolific writer. I so wish you could have found MinV!

Steam&Ink
02-06-2011, 12:52 PM
I don't know whether you should change it or not, Mama Jude, but I 'fess up that I voted for you having a mean streak... :P

Steam&Ink
02-06-2011, 12:54 PM
I'd change it. What if something happens to your husband (dog forbid)? Who are the police going to be looking at after they read your ms?

Best comment. Ever.

amlptj
02-06-2011, 02:16 PM
HeyJude, this is soooooo not as horrible as what i did. I'll explain...

I write my books where i'm the main character and author, (although its complete fiction) I do this because no only am i weird but the book are to be believed. Anyway, since i want them to be believed I used my real mom's name and my real boyfriends. He's actually become a character in the fiction series as well. He loved the idea and thought it was so awesome. Then i pulled out the whammy. I have to break up with him (in the book) to go out with someone else. And then he ends up going out with my MC's enemy as payback, and ends up being a villain for a book.

Yeah, lets just say he's not too thrilled about those parts, what's even more horrible is he loves my books and is the only one who reads them, so he has to read about how I break up with him, go out with this other guy who is like the most awesome love of my life (in the books) and then read about how he becomes a complete asshole villain.

Now that is being a horrible person. The good news is I end up with him at the end of the series anyway.

heyjude
02-06-2011, 03:47 PM
I don't know whether you should change it or not, Mama Jude, but I 'fess up that I voted for you having a mean streak... :P

That's okay. It's true! :D

Now that is being a horrible person. The good news is I end up with him at the end of the series anyway.

:ROFL: You end up with him anyway, even though he's the mean villain? That's funny!

amlptj
02-06-2011, 03:56 PM
He's a villain out of anger, because i broke up with him. Mostly he was forced to be a villain by his girlfriend at the time. The evil girl we all hate, who he dated out of spite.

During the book that he ends up one of the villains he realized what an asshole he is and actually saves my life a few times. Then later after things go horribly worng with me and the other love interest, The other MC's force us in a room together and we end up together shortly after.

Gregg
02-15-2011, 05:39 AM
I use friends/relatives names but change them around. For example, Kathryn becomes Sister Mary Catherine, Jeff Leonard becomes Leo Jefferson, Linda becomes Melinda, and my dog Nikki becomes, of course, Nikki.

The characters don't match the personality of the "real" person. It's fiction. Pretend.

TheIT
02-15-2011, 11:43 AM
Of course you have a mean streak, HJ. You're a writer, aren't you? One has to learn to be mean to one's characters in order to tell a good story. :D

If you want to switch genres, you could always resurrect the character as a zombie or ghost in the sequel... :evil

You said you're only using his first name. Another thought is to use a different spelling or a diminutive. Still the same "inspiration", perhaps, but you'll have something closer to plausible deniability. :e2file:

Sydneyd
02-15-2011, 11:51 AM
I voted mean streak :D I write about my BF but I have the decency to change the character's name! That way he has no idea when reading who is really being boiled in a vat of acid after the MC has cut off his...nevermind.

heyjude
02-16-2011, 09:08 PM

You guys crack me up. TheIT, good point about all writers having a mean streak.

Sydney, I hope your guy doesn't read here. :D

lcwrite
05-13-2011, 04:39 AM
Of course, if anything bad ever does happen to your husband the book could be used as proof of intent....

Kidding, just kidding. Sort of like naming my tortured murder victim after my ex-wife....just kidding, just kidding.

But didn't Tom Clancy lose a lot of money in his divorce because he modeled Cathy Ryan after his own wife?

cwfgal
05-18-2011, 04:32 AM
For my third thriller, Second Sight, I auctioned off the right to have someone's real name used as a character in the book with the proceeds going to a charity for childhood cancer. There was no guarantee as to how big a character it would be, or what fate they might have.

I had half of the book already written at the time and the main character's name was Andrea and she went by the nickname Andi. When it came time for the actual auction, a woman named Andrea met me before the bidding and said she wanted to win it. Perfect! It was a serendipitous moment...except, another woman started bidding against her. Back and forth they went until Andrea finally stopped. Then I learned that the other woman was buying the name thing for her daughter. The name I had to use? Damaris Dedulonus.

I didn't make her the main character but she was a pretty important secondary character. I not only didn't kill her off, I made her a bit of a hero. But because the woman who didn't win had the name of my MC, and the woman who did win paid $8,000 for the privilege, I felt obligated to change the name of my MC. Thus Marlie was born.

In Scared Stiff, I chose the name Shannon for my primary victim and after I had half that book written, a girl with the same name got hired on at the hospital where I work and she works with me on a regular basis. I considered changing the name in the book but didn't. Now there's a standing joke at work that if someone pisses me off, I'll make them a character in one of my books and kill them off in some horrible, nasty way (even though the real Shannon never pissed me off--go figure!)

Beth