There was thunder, there was lightning... no wait

Scandiaca

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Hello everybody,
I am the new girl around here.:hi:

My native language isn't English:cry: so I am probably gonna be the butt of jokes every now and again. But for I am willing to learn and laugh at myself at the same time, that should not be a problem. :snoopy:
I am a student with a major in Japanese Studies and a minor in cultural anthropology and love to write ever since my early teenage years. Most of the time I write short stories and little fragments. I have been working on one larger project for years now, but that might be a lifelong task to finish. Other than that I am rubbish at poems... No, really not my forte.

Until now I was pretty much limited to my mother tongue in writing, something I want to extend to English a bit at a time. :D

Needless to say, I love to talk about everything and nothing. Hopefully that will not get on people's nerves too much. ;)

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's a pleasure to meet you. We have members from all over the world, so you should fit right in, assuming you're from this planetary system.

Maryn, glad to have you join us

Scandiaca

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much for this warm welcome. I am from earth... though some people have doubted that in the past (... I can be a little tiny bit... strange^^)

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the cooler, Scandiaca! Your English looks very good, at least on screen, so no butt of jokes should be coming your way. In fact, you sound better than a lot of folks who've known English their whole life! :D

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
Welcome, Scandiaca, and good luck with your writing.

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, you sound like a colourful character :D I look forward to seeing you post around the place!

I've visited Germany before, and have an uncle (not German-born but is wife and kids are) who lives in Goslar. Love the country!

Scandiaca

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
thank you all again ^.^

@yoghurtelf Colourful is one way of putting it ;) I generally like Germany, adore the food for sure, but most of the time I wish to be a native english speaker. That just gets you more places.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Don't forget to read the Newbie's Guide and enjoy AW

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. So take some time to read the stickies, greet fellow newbies, critique other members’
works, or join a discussion.

Don't forget to stop by the International District

I have passes for the pool on the roof, only $10

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to the watercooler :welcome:

Take a wander around the various forums, there's lots to see and lots to learn, and even some fun threads too. Come along and pop on over to the Traditional Irish Pub (at the top of the Newbie forum) and say hi, there's plenty of friendly faces that you can chat with and lots of banter. There's also the Question of the Day threads at the top of the Newbie forum where you can answer random questions.

Don't forget to read the newbie guide, and if you want to know what all the buttons mean check out this thread.

Wordcaster

Straw that broke the camel's back
Registered
Reaction score
Nice to see some diversity in cultures and perspectives. Welcome to AW from a fellow newbie.

whacko

Keeping up with the class
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Scany,

Your English is a whole lot better than my German, so no butts of jokes from these parts.

I was in Frankfurt once, just for the day, to watch a football match. Lovely place.

But now I think about it... I may have been in Stuttgart once.:D

Welcome to AW.

Regards

der Whacko

Scandiaca

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Lol @whacko Who have you seen kicking the dirt for football back then? I am not a born Frankfurt girl so I don't need to like their team (no really, they suck^^) I have never been to Stuttgart myself. So you got me on that one ;)

whacko

Keeping up with the class
Registered
Reaction score
Lol @whacko Who have you seen kicking the dirt for football back then?

No they were kicking a football in the dirt...

But as I fell asleep you could be right!:D

No, I'm going to explain this in my best German here...

Mir micht wirklen pizzed so Betten gehen!

Possibly...

ETA - I think it was Stuttgart. But it might have been Eintracht!!!!

Last edited:

MormonMobster

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome!

As others have said, your English is remarkably good, and far better than my German.

You seem like a very interesting person, and I (along with many others) hope you have good experiences on these boards!

:)

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Welcome and hi. Also, we have an International section where English speaking writers chat in and study different languages, so you could always check in and see if some AWers are in need of help with their German. :D