where can I post magazine queries?

ladyvincenza

user-set title
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarahtrachtenberg.com
Hi everyone,
Where can I post magazine queries for critiques? I'm surprised I don't see more magazine queries; you'd think they'd be big on this site:) I have been using Show Your Work/Query Hell, but there aren't many for magazines and people have told me they're not used to reading them.
Thanks,
Sarah
PS Happy Winter Solstice!

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
At one time they said to post it in Share Your Work, but also on this freelance forum up in the "stickies" there is a thread that says "I need a non-fiction critique" where you are supposed to say please go look at my query in Share Your Work and give a link to it.

ladyvincenza

user-set title
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarahtrachtenberg.com
Hi,
I'm confused as to why there doesn't seem to be a forum on the site for magazine article queries. Query Hell is almost exclusively for books, esp. novels. Writing for mags is, after all, probably the best way to earn money for a writer, at least in some ways. Furthermore, this site often has materials from Jenna Glatzer and references her, and her books are *about* writing this kind of query. Can someone direct me? Seriously, why can't I find this forum on the site, assuming there is one, and if not, *why*?
Is there another site for mag query critiques which any of you recommend?

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I believe most people refine their technique over time, reading books and seeing how well their various queries sell. That's how I've done it, anyway. But if you feel the need for help, I know Linda Formichelli does some courses on magazine writing which include query critique, I believe, as well as phone mentoring. You could always give that a try.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I'm confused as to why there doesn't seem to be a forum on the site for magazine article queries. Query Hell is almost exclusively for books, esp. novels...
Not really. I've seen a number of magazine queries posted there, some that have received excellent feedback. You should simply post your query there and see what happens. You'll probably receive more advice than you expected, or bargained for.

Good luck.