Interviewing Family Members

thewritegirl

Registered
Reaction score
I have a fun, Christmas focused, article that I am currently working on. I mentioned to my Mother what the idea for the article was and she wanted contribute and tell her story ( I'm looking for stories from various people ). She doesn't want her name used, so I'm guessing referring to her as my Mother would be out too.
Would it be weird to an editor if I use an alias name for my own Mother? lol How would you handle using a family member in one of your articles?

Thanks!

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I am married, so I have interviewed my mother without mentioning the relation to my editor. Since we have different last names, it wasn't an issue. Some editors might find it lacks impassivity, however, so be careful using your mom as a source.

BrooklynLee

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
I would never interview family members without identifying them as such in the article. But the rules on that depend on the publication.

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
I would not identify your mother as such in the article, and if you share the same last name, you could use an alias for her, but if you do that, I would be honest with the editor about it. (And clear it beforehand.) Some magazines are fine with that.

I had a situation recently where I interviewed a friend for an article and after it was done, he decided he didn't want his name used! So I had to go back to the editor after the fact and ask if we could use a pseudonym for him. She agreed, but wasn't thrilled that it happened after the article was submitted and our hands were tied. If I could have been upfront about it right away, it would have been better.

I would never lie to an editor about such a thing; it builds a relationship of mistrust. Even if they never find out, you will know!

Dawn

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I guess it was a lie by omission, but I presented my mother as I wanted to profile her: a service dog trainer who happens to be disabled herself. The editor loved the article, and it got great reader feedback, but I would imagine it might never have seen print if I had emailed to say "I want to write about my mom!"

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think there is anything wrong with it as long as you are up-front with the editor. I would worry more about how family members might receive the article. People can get touchy about the slightest things. One reporter at the newspaper I worked for got bombarded with angry calls once because she mentioned the silver streaks (in a beautiful way) in a woman's hair when she decribed her. I never interview family members for that reason. It's just not worth the potential damage to the relationship should they not like the way they are portrayed.