PDA

View Full Version : Prospect Agency

Pages : [1] 2

the bollocks
10-04-2005, 01:47 AM
Has anyone ever heard of prospect agency? Not on P&E, new agency founded by a branch off agent of Writer's House. Does anyone know anything about this agency?

Aconite
10-04-2005, 02:15 AM
Do you have a website and a physical location for the agency?

Added:
Is it this one: http://www.prospectagency.com ?

Point in its favor is the founder spent almost six years with Writers House. I can't find info on anyone else working there, however, and the website says, "Agency specialties are romance, women's fiction, science fiction & fantasy, historical fiction and young adult literature, though all genres of literature are welcome," which seems broad for one person.

the bollocks
10-04-2005, 02:30 AM
Do you have a website and a physical location for the agency?
www.prospectagency.com (http://www.prospectagency.com)

285 Fifth Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11215

Aconite
10-04-2005, 02:32 AM
bollocks, I crossposted my edits with your post. See above.

MarkPettus
10-04-2005, 02:34 AM
New agency with an established agent. Emily Sylvan Kim is the agent. She spent 6 years at Writers House Literary Agency in New York. She responds quickly to submissions made through a form on her website.

http://prospectagency.com/submissions.html

Make that VERY quickly.

dragonjax
10-05-2005, 12:27 AM
I found Emily to be very professional, and very fast in her response time. Based on her Writer's House background, I would gather that she has the contacts and experience necessary in this business.

DaveKuzminski
10-05-2005, 02:44 AM
P&E had her listed before with Writers Agency. We've since updated that listing and added one for her new agency. We don't have any complaints regarding her and consider her to be an acceptable agent.

Starlightmntn
10-05-2005, 07:46 PM
Has anyone had any experience with a complete manuscript submission to Prospect?

N.C. Murphy
04-19-2006, 08:02 PM
Emily Sylvan Kim is looking for strong characters and a gripping story but is no longer accepting fantasy based material at this time. To bad for me! But good luck to you. The fact that she was at writer's house for so long is a very telling trait. It's pretty much all you really need to know about her because Writer's house is one of the largest agency there is. They handle some of the largest names in the business and work with The largest names in the business ie. V.C. Andrews estate, plus many others. Good luck!

Brenda
04-20-2006, 01:39 AM
I submitted a YA ms to her a while back but she ultimately rejected it. She's very professional and just plain nice. She has my other adult novel now.

I uploaded the YA ms on the website, but I ended up mailing a hard copy at her request. She has three deals listed on PM since the beginning of the year.

Hope this helps.

Brenda

dragonjax
04-20-2006, 01:48 AM
Has anyone had any experience with a complete manuscript submission to Prospect?
Yep. :)

Emily's the real deal. Had a lovely phone call with her as well; was on the phone with her for about 40 minutes. She's terrific, and I'm sure her clients are in good hands.

ByGrace
07-05-2006, 10:45 PM
I'm glad to read all the good comments about Ms. Kim. I found her on Publishers Marketplace and sent her my partial for a historical novel.

How long did it take her to respond?

Maddog
07-05-2006, 11:07 PM
About a month for a full request from Prospect. They are legit.

Jill C.
03-09-2007, 11:31 AM
Good luck Maddog!
I sent an equery today and will post again when I hear back.

Aprylwriter
03-10-2007, 12:09 AM
Yes, they are a very legit and reputable agency. Emily Sylvan Kim is the agent and she used to be with Writer's House.I got a rejection about two months after sending a query, but she was very nice and professional.

Apryl

ClaudiaGray
03-10-2007, 12:16 AM
Just chiming in: Yes, Emily Kim is legit, and I've heard very good things about her.

seaaircarol
06-29-2007, 03:55 AM
From the Prospect Agency website:

"In addition, we ask that you submit only one manuscript at a time. Simultaneous submissions will be declined."

Do you think they're using the term "simultaneous submissions" to mean submitting more than one ms at a time--or do they mean the way the term is usually used; i.e., submitting to more than one agency at a time?

I guess I could write them and ask....but you guys are so smart.

herdon
06-29-2007, 04:26 AM

"In addition, we ask that you submit only one manuscript at a time. Simultaneous submissions will be declined."

Do you think they're using the term "simultaneous submissions" to mean submitting more than one ms at a time--or do they mean the way the term is usually used; i.e., submitting to more than one agency at a time?

I would assume they mean it in the context that it was written -- multiple submissions to their agency. I don't think I've run across an agency that didn't accept simultaneous (i.e. multiple agencies) submissons. I'm sure there are some but I would throw them down at the bottom of the list. Now, for partials/fulls some agencies ask for 'exclusives', but for a query package I'd just assume they meant multiple queries to their agency.

KAP
06-29-2007, 04:29 AM

So if I answer this question, does that mean I'm smart? Maybe Mama was right?

Okay, right or wrong, smart or not, I think simultaneous submission in the context they use means more than one ms. at a time, two (or more) simultaneously.

And don't tell me if I'm not smart after all. Mama don't like disappointment.

Calla Lily
06-29-2007, 04:31 AM
Emily Sylvan Kim requested a hard copy of my full today. (Eeeee!) Took about 3.5 months from my submission to her request.

How early does the post office open? :)

seaaircarol
06-29-2007, 04:42 AM
Thanks everyone, and good luck, Callalily!

tonyrocks922
07-02-2007, 06:31 AM
www.prospectagency.com (http://www.prospectagency.com)

285 Fifth Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11215

I have no knowlege of any agents, but I live right near that adddress, and it's a mailbox rental place.

waylander
07-02-2007, 01:49 PM
So?
The agent concerned has verifiable sales and was previously at Writers House. All this means is that she isn't prepared to pay the extortionate office rental rate in NY.

scarletpeaches
07-02-2007, 02:59 PM
I have nothing to add. I just wanted to join in a thread started by someone called the bollocks. :D

Penguin Queen
07-02-2007, 03:01 PM
Yes, there is that. :D

Actually, while busy procrastinating I chanced upon this thread, and altho I thought I'd given up on trying to find a North American agent, I liked the look of their website & went & submitted my short stories to them.
So in the exceedingly unlikely event that they'll have me, I suppose I'll have to credit AW and The Bollocks for it.

scarletpeaches
07-02-2007, 03:02 PM
...I suppose I'll have to credit AW and The Bollocks for it.

*chortle*

Penguin Queen
07-02-2007, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by Penguin Queen http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1444081#post1444081)
AW and The Bollocks

That could be a not at all bad name for a punk band, come to think of it...

[/thread hijack]

Dario D.
07-03-2007, 06:45 AM
I just got a response from them today on a query that I sent countless months ago... so I came here to look them up, and see if that's to be expected.

I guess they got backlogged with work, or something.

Stacia Kane
07-03-2007, 04:19 PM
Me too, Dario--I sent the query in early March, the book has already sold. Nice, professional rejection though. :)

seaaircarol
10-03-2007, 03:23 AM
Okay, so on their website, they give a special e-mail address to write to if you haven't received a reply after three months. You send your automated receipt to them and they write back with the status of your ms.

So now I'm waiting to hear about both the original query and my status query!

I wonder how long it will take...

*sigh*

Carmy
10-03-2007, 09:39 AM

Be warned . . .

I submitted one MS query but there was no reply. I forgot about it and sent them a second MS query on a different novel. I got a snitty email response reminding me they already had my earlier submission.

Manat
10-03-2007, 03:59 PM

Be warned . . .

I submitted one MS query but there was no reply. I forgot about it and sent them a second MS query on a different novel. I got a snitty email response reminding me they already had my earlier submission.

I had something similar happen. I sent them a query about a manuscript that had been revised and cut by 25,000 words. I'd sent them a proposal on the original 10 months earlier. I don't recall them ever having answered the original but it's quite possible they did. The response I received was extremely snitty. It was early in my writing experience and I found it shocking at the time. I didn't write for almost two months after. I 've since sold the book I queried them about and found an excellent agent, but I have to say Prospect left a very bad taste in my mouth and I would never have approached them again, ( except perhaps a XMAS card when I hit the best sellers list lol).

seaaircarol
10-03-2007, 07:14 PM
Sorry to hear about your experiences, Carmy and Manat. Congratulations, Manat, on your subsequent success!

So...if they don't respond in the time they themselves have decided upon--or don't respond at all--how is the writer supposed to know if they've passed or if the ms is still under consideration? And how would you know not to submit a different ms?

Anyone have the number for a psychic????

seaaircarol
10-06-2007, 03:36 AM
They're definitely running behind. Received a reply to my status query (after 5 days), and they said they've yet to get to my ms.

clara bow
10-06-2007, 05:53 AM
S--or don't respond at all--how is the writer supposed to know if they've passed or if the ms is still under consideration? And how would you know not to submit a different ms?

at that point, why would you want to?

seaaircarol
10-06-2007, 06:06 AM
Yeah, that's true. Although it sounds like they're a pretty good agency.

Carmy
10-06-2007, 08:54 AM
The first query I sent was on February 22. I guess my 10 months isn't up yet.

litgirl
10-06-2007, 05:49 PM
Has anyone here had any experience with Rachel Orr? She's a new agent at Prospect, coming from being a children's editor at Harper Collins.

Montage
10-18-2007, 06:17 PM
I also have a full with Emily Sylvan Kim. She requested it back in August, but I believe their website says wait 3 months before you status query.

Calla Lily
10-18-2007, 06:24 PM
FYI, when I contacted Emily Sylvan Kim last August to say I'd been offered representation, she asked me for a few days and then sent me a very polite rejection and her good wishes.

seaaircarol
10-18-2007, 06:51 PM
I received my rejection the day before yesterday.

litgirl
11-08-2007, 06:16 PM
So...still no word on Rachel Orr? I checked Preditors and Editors and she wasn't listed. Does anyone know if she's sold anything yet?

Likewise Becca Stumpf?

J.L Beckett
11-16-2007, 05:27 PM
They seem to have recently taken on a few interns and a reader, the lack of which may have led to long reply times. I sent a query and received a reply back in under three months... though hotmail apparently ate it... In any case, I e-mailed their status people and was given the run down of the original letter in a day or two. Besides the hiccup with hotmail, they seem to be pretty polite and accomodating.

I sent my query to Becca Stumpf, and though she did decline my submission, she apparently (I never saw her actual e-mail) made some good comments and told me to resubmit to Emily Sylvan Kim... I wonder if that's a good thing.

It's a little frightening submitting to the founder. Has anyone had any recent communications with her? I know she accepts sci-fi, but does she prefer uber-sciencey or pseuo-sciencey?

xiaotien
03-12-2008, 08:58 PM
28 day personalized ejection.
said my story wasn't right for them
but that my writing "shows promise".
reject with invitation to resubmit any
new projects.

*sighs*

Appalachian Writer
03-13-2008, 12:21 AM
I queried them the second week in January, received their automated response with a submission ID number, and that's that. I haven't heard since, either yea or nay. At this point, either one would be okay!

Marva
03-13-2008, 03:28 AM
My last submission to Rachel Orr was 91 days to rejection. I'd already written it off as a Non-response, so *whatever*. Foolishly, I subbed again (different book) and, once more, I'll write them off around first day of spring. Spring housecleaning, you know. I figure if they have any interest, I'd get a request in 4-6 weeks.

xiaotien
03-13-2008, 04:38 AM
appalachian writer, i feel you.
there seems to be no rhyme or reason.
sometimes, i see everyone else get a reject
or partial request who queried AFTER me and
i wonder what the heck is going on.

Appalachian Writer
03-13-2008, 05:25 AM
appalachian writer, i feel you.
there seems to be no rhyme or reason.
sometimes, i see everyone else get a reject
or partial request who queried AFTER me and
i wonder what the heck is going on.

Xiaotien--Thanks. I spend a lot of time wondering what the heck is going on! What I really hate is when an agency sends you a form letter that says, "although the manuscript had merit." If it's a form letter addressed dear author, how did they know it had merit? Go figure! Prospect agency and all! You'd think they could work a little faster to reject you, huh?

xiaotien
03-13-2008, 05:55 AM
AW, haha! i've "nudged" two agents who
were having writers post both reject and requests
after my query (as in they queried later) and always
got a reject the next day.

i don't care. at least there is closure.

congrats on your partial and full requests!!
i've linked your blog, too, btw. 8)

Jake Bell
03-18-2008, 01:28 AM
I'm one of Rachel Orr's clients and if I had to guess I would say the agency got fairly swamped around Christmas time and needed until early February or so to sort things out. Maybe because the interns go home for the holidays? Anyway, things are back to running smoothly now, so submissions should get replies without too much delay.

Good luck.

Smiling Ted
03-20-2008, 07:51 AM
Does anyone know if Prospect still has a ban on fantasy novels?

Karen Duvall
04-17-2008, 03:22 AM
Does anyone know if Prospect still has a ban on fantasy novels?

Smiling Ted, I don't think so because I just got a request for my full today from Emily and my manuscript is urban fantasy. So query away!

Beware_of_Italics
07-04-2008, 05:23 AM
Does anyone have recent info on Becca Stumpf? I sent my query/synopsis/1st 3 chapters to Prospect Agency (addressed to Emily Sylvan Kim I believe), but the junior agent is the one that replied, asking for the full ms.

Is it common for a junior agent to do this? In the past I've had an assistant reply for an agent that I queried, but never a junior agent... or an agent I didn't query... asking for the ms to read themselves. I guess it could have been passed on to her from Emily, but it's my understanding that my ms doesn't really fall under the genre she typically looks at.

I can't find much info on her except for the biography on their website, and that she's judged contests before. I understand she used to be an assistant at Writers House, but moved to The Prospect Agency in 2006.

Any info on Becca would be appreciated. :) She seems really nice, but I can't find much info.

Also... sorry for any typos, etc. The electricity keeps going out, so I'm typing fast.

Jake Bell
07-09-2008, 02:01 AM
My experience is that the agents at Prospect all work pretty closely together. It's not at all unlikely that Emily read your ms, thought it was good, but not something she wanted/had time to represent, and passed it along to Becca.

I'm represented by Rachel Orr, so I'm not familiar with Becca, but I'm very happy with Prospect as a whole.

Beware_of_Italics
07-09-2008, 03:14 AM
Thanks Jake! :) That makes me feel even better. Becca was nice in her email, saying she couldn't wait to read more.

Karen Duvall
07-09-2008, 03:39 AM
Becca will be attending Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers' Colorado Gold conference in Denver on September 12, 13 and 14 this year, and take pitches as well as giving workshops. I'll be attending myself. You can get information about the conference at www.rmfw.org. (http://www.rmfw.org)

Beware_of_Italics
07-19-2008, 02:13 AM
For anyone that's curious to know, Becca's rejections on fulls are form rejections.

Mini rant: I'm getting a little tired of form rejections on fulls. :cry: They make me feel like I must really suck.

Lainey Bancroft
09-10-2008, 05:15 AM
For anyone that's curious to know, Becca's rejections on fulls are form rejections.

Mini rant: I'm getting a little tired of form rejections on fulls. :cry: They make me feel like I must really suck.

Ouch! Yes, a form on a full would...wound deeply! Haven't queried them yet because I'm 'meeting' Emily at the ORWC in a few weeks and wanted 'face time' first. She likes women's fic. She does! Her site says so! I'll let you all know how it goes.

Karen Duvall
09-17-2008, 01:56 AM
I had a fantastic time chatting with Becca at the Colorado Gold conference this past weekend. What a friendly, enthusiastic young agent who's thrilled to talk with anyone and everyone about their work and about the industry in general. I'm already agented so I didn't pitch to her, but we had time to talk at a couple of parties during the weekend. Becca is just wonderful, seriously. I know someone she's working with on revisions to a manuscript (YA SF) and she's been extremely helpful. We have our fingers crossed that an offer is forthcoming. He'd certainly be lucky to have her represent him.

jamiehall
09-17-2008, 04:56 AM
Here (http://www.prospectagency.com/boathouse.html) they say:

Please submit only one manuscript at a time. We keep centralized records of submissions so please refrain from simultaneous submissions to this agency. If a manuscript is declined, please do not re-submit the same manuscript or a manuscript that is substantially the same (to any agent).

Does that mean not to query another agent at the agency if you've been declined by one, or does it mean you can query other agents at the agency about the same project as long as the rejecting agent didn't request the entire manuscript?

I see some stories upthread about stuff being rejected for multiple submission (even when it was a different book - which ironically their website says is okay to do!) but I'm still unclear.

Has anyone actually queried a different agent at this agency after having a query rejected by one agent, without getting slapped down for it?

andracill
09-18-2008, 05:11 AM
Jamie, I have heard stories about that kind of thing at other agencies -- but I think they might pass things around at Prospect. Iow, unless it's a new query for a new ms (or greatly revised one), I think you're just wasting your and their time.

JennyCP
09-27-2008, 03:15 AM
Anyone know about how long they're taking to get to people who've queried from the submissions page? I e-queried Rachel Orr last week and haven't heard anything yet. Thanks!

ThatMovieAnnouncerGuy
09-27-2008, 04:24 AM
FWIW, I submitted using the page 7/2 and got R'd on 8/17. The wording sounded as though they pass around because it was signed "Prospect Agency".

Riv
11-10-2008, 06:33 PM
I thought that an agent on fifth avenue was somebody playing around. Which is my impression of them.

I have no knowlege of any agents, but I live right near that adddress, and it's a mailbox rental place.

quillfish
12-13-2008, 01:24 PM
Anyone know about how long they're taking to get to people who've queried from the submissions page?

I heard back from them in about two months, and they say it can take up to three. I have found them very courteous and professional. I think the form is nice because you get immediate confirmation your submission didn't slip into the query black hole.

Erin
12-13-2008, 07:13 PM
Here's my experience: I got a response from the online submission in 5 weeks with a request for a full from a junior agent (not the agent I submitted to). She rejected it a week later with a nice invitation to submit other works.

KAP
01-09-2009, 09:13 PM
I used their online form to query with a synopsis & three chapters, and I got an automated receipt that included my name and my novel's title. That was back in mid-September. After 3 1/2 months, I status queried according to the guidelines on their webpage (wait at least three months and include receipt email). That was two weeks ago. No word from Prospect.

Blueridge
01-10-2009, 12:44 AM
I submitted today (for Becca) using their online form. I like the feel of their web site, and thought that some of the questions they asked in their form, such as the last book you've read and a favorite sentence from your manuscript, were interesting.

Mel A.
01-22-2009, 09:33 AM
Just passing along a quick fyi:
When I was uploading my materials tonight, the online submission page gave me only two options for agents to whom I could direct my query - Emily Sylvan Kim and Vivian Chum. It noted in parentheses that Becca Stumpf and Rachel Orr are not currently accepting submissions.

KAP
01-29-2009, 09:59 PM
I'm writing them off as no response after more than 4 1/2 months. Ouch.

kap

eta: got form rejection after 5 1/2 months

Lainey Bancroft
02-25-2009, 08:39 PM
Sorry Kap. Hope you're feeling better.

I queried the beginning of October, didn't bother to status query because I'd written it off as a 'no response' means NO. Yesterday I had a rejection, "Solid writing...story not for us...think of us for future projects..."

Barber
02-25-2009, 09:43 PM
I queried back in the end of September, uploading the first three chapters and filling out everything they asked for. A couple weeks ago Becca requested the full.

So nearly five months means you never know, right? I wouldn't write them off yet. (Though it's better than getting your hopes up, I guess.)

redlady1
03-25-2009, 03:25 PM
Just passing along a quick fyi:
When I was uploading my materials tonight, the online submission page gave me only two options for agents to whom I could direct my query - Emily Sylvan Kim and Vivian Chum. It noted in parentheses that Becca Stumpf and Rachel Orr are not currently accepting submissions.

I realize that this is a few months later, but Becca Stumpf is accepting submissions again. I queried her in February through their website. No word back yet, but that doesn't seem too unusual from the responses here. Anyone else got anything recent from this agency?

JJPie
04-09-2009, 05:21 AM
I just queried and will keep you guys updated.

I queried them a few years ago and received a reply in a month and a half for what it's worth.

Barber
04-09-2009, 08:19 AM
It took two months for Becca to reject my full.

Not sure if it was a form, but it said I'm "clearly a talented writer", and she "enjoyed the premise a great deal",but "the voice didn't feel YA enough for her to connect with the characters".

Either way, an R is an R, and I appreciate the chance :)

I'd query again. No complaints here.

StillTyping
04-13-2009, 10:14 PM
I had given up on Prospect months earlier when, out of the blue, Rachel Orr asked for my full manuscript in January, almost nine months after I'd queried online.

Now it's been three and a half months since I sent the manuscript, and I haven't heard a peep. Should I check in and make sure it's not lost somewhere? Or does that just invite an annoyance rejection?

alias octavia
04-13-2009, 10:58 PM
StillTyping- I would send a polite follow-up email to check on the status at this point. It may be lost in the stack somewhere.

EgyptianGoddess
04-26-2009, 07:19 AM
I didn't see a thread listed for this one. Has anyone heard of them? Had any dealings with them? Thanks!

http://www.prospectagency.com

White Ginger
04-28-2009, 03:36 AM
I e-queried Ms. Stumpf yesterday and she requested a full from me this morning. Her email was very positive and professional.

Senora Verde
04-28-2009, 03:48 AM
I e-queried Ms. Stumpf yesterday and she requested a full from me this morning. Her email was very positive and professional.

Yay for you!!!

Did you complete the online submission form or just send an email with your query?

I completed the submission form almost 4 weeks ago for Ms. Stumpf and haven't heard anything....

EgyptianGoddess
04-28-2009, 03:52 AM

WTG!!! here's hoping for the best!

Laura Lond
04-28-2009, 05:18 AM

Congratulations!! That was a quick response. Is your project YA or MG?

I queried Ms. Stumpf today, too. We'll see whether she will be just as quick. :)

redlady1
04-28-2009, 09:41 AM
I queried her at the end of February and no response yet ... your query must have really stood out!

brimfire
04-29-2009, 05:31 AM
I queried Ms. Stumpf via online form on January 9th. She requested the full on April 2 and said she'd get back to me within 3-4 weeks.

MCarter
05-22-2009, 08:33 AM
Queried Becca Stumpf back in February, just got a response asking for full and said that she'd get back in about 2-3 weeks. Sounded pretty positive, so here's hoping...

EgyptianGoddess
05-22-2009, 08:44 AM
Queried Becca Stumpf back in February, just got a response asking for full and said that she'd get back in about 2-3 weeks. Sounded pretty positive, so here's hoping...

Good luck! Let us know what happens:Sun:

Senora Verde
05-22-2009, 09:43 AM
Congratulations MCarter! Keep us updated.

Heard anything brimfire?

I queried her end of March, glad to know there's still hope.

Jefflrich
05-22-2009, 05:12 PM
I queried Becca Stumpf today too. Here's hoping for a quick response. I'll keep you all updated as well.

And congrats White Ginger.

Jeff

Laura Lond
05-22-2009, 11:18 PM
There was no quick response in my case. Queried on April 27, still haven't heard anything as of today, May 22.

Tburger
05-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Prospect Literary (http://www.prospectagency.com/) is an agency that I don't see too much of on these boards (I found only one post when doing my research), and I was wondering: has anyone had direct experience with the agency or with one agent in particular, Becca Stumpf? They look solid, I'm just curious if anyone has glowing comments.

Parametric
05-23-2009, 03:28 PM
Clickably delicious link to the Prospect Agency thread. (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19927)

Tburger
05-23-2009, 03:39 PM
Clickably delicious link to the Prospect Agency thread. (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19927)

Oops - how in god's name did I miss that one? Can the mods delete my thread? :)

Tburger
05-23-2009, 03:47 PM
Just sent a query off to Becca this morning...

rebobinar
05-24-2009, 11:18 AM
I just queried Becca, also. I'll let you know. I wonder if they cut down on the communication by essentially requesting a partial from the get go. Then they only have to ask for more if they want a full? Just thinking... which is dangerous at midnight.

Epiphany
05-24-2009, 11:53 AM
Queried Becca via their submissions form on 4/14 and have not heard back from them yet. Three month response time so we will see what happens.

redlady1
06-04-2009, 09:12 AM
Just got back a rejection from the query that I sent on 2/24/09 so they're still pretty close to the three month mark.

ChrryBlssmGrrl
06-05-2009, 06:26 PM
I received a form rejection from Prospect a couple of days ago. It took about 6 weeks from submission to rejection :cry:

I wasn't incredibly surprised to not get very far tbh because Prospect were the first agency I tried but still the form rejection email was pretty curt and they spelled my name wrong! My name has 5 letters in it so this constitutes an almost admirable display of indifference....

For anyone who is still waiting to hear back from them, the reason stated for rejecting my MS was 'Unfortunately, your project is not a good fit for us at this time.'

Onwards and upwards!

EgyptianGoddess
06-05-2009, 06:30 PM
I received a form rejection from Prospect a couple of days ago. It took about 6 weeks from submission to rejection :cry:

I wasn't incredibly surprised to not get very far tbh because Prospect were the first agency I tried but still the form rejection email was pretty curt and they spelled my name wrong! My name has 5 letters in it so this constitutes an almost admirable display of indifference....

For anyone who is still waiting to hear back from them, the reason stated for rejecting my MS was 'Unfortunately, your project is not a good fit for us at this time.'

Onwards and upwards!

I had gotten one from them as well, but they were the first agency to give me some constructive critisim and to say I had real potential as a writer....which I know all ready! LOL.....they also invited me to query them again if I do another project.

While I won't for the forseeable future, at least they gave me good feedback and encouragement. I WAS disappointed that they seemed to like me, but didn't pursue it.
They're a good agency.

Most other rejections are those "your project is not for us" type of letters.
It's ok...just keep plugging!

steampunk
06-05-2009, 11:52 PM
got a rejection today via email. here's the stats:

Filled out online form: May 18th
Rejection: June 5

So that is way faster than the three months they suggested. Either they thought it would be good and changed their mind or it was that bad!

Saltier
06-06-2009, 04:07 AM
That's funny, steampunk.

I hope I get a fast response like that... I only filled out the form a few days ago.

Senora Verde
06-06-2009, 09:15 AM
So that is way faster than the three months they suggested. Either they thought it would be good and changed their mind or it was that bad!

Or neither, don't try to read too much into it, you'll just drive yourself crazy.

It might just be the timing. I think some agents wait and try to plow through a bunch of queries at once.

I completed the online form on 3/29, and haven't heard anything. I don't expect to, not anything positive at least.

HapiSofi
06-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Or neither, don't try to read too much into it, you'll just drive yourself crazy.

It might just be the timing. I think some agents wait and try to plow through a bunch of queries at once.
Yup. Editors and publishing houses do the same thing.

steampunk
06-08-2009, 05:37 PM
Oh Senora, don't worry, i wasn't reading into it. I've received too many rejections to read into anything. No biggie. Scratch that one off and move on.

MCarter
07-30-2009, 02:42 AM
About ten weeks after getting a request for full I got a nice rejection from Becca Stumpf. She said it only took that long because she was on the fence about it (like a lot of it and the idea), but ultimately couldn't take it on. Offered a lot of good advice on ways to improve the story. Best rejection I've gotten yet.

Phantom Writer
10-03-2009, 04:15 AM
Anyone hear anything recently from their online form? or from them?

mscelina
10-03-2009, 04:24 AM
Well, initial query was 7/13 to Becca Stumpf. On 9/17 I received a full request from Emily Sylvan Kim and now I'm just...you guessed it...waiting.

Phantom Writer
10-03-2009, 04:31 AM
wow 7/13 to 9/17?! I won't worry about thinking about getting a response on my query for another month and a half then. ;) Thank you Ms and good luck!

mscelina
10-03-2009, 04:35 AM
Yeah, the full request kind of showed up out of the blue while I was two states away from my desktop. however, querying in the summer is a hit and miss business for just about any agency and their auto-response message does say 'within three months.'

So they're running a month ahead of schedule and that's a good thing.

eveningstar
10-03-2009, 05:17 AM
I submitted a query form to Becca Stumpf on 6/12 and have yet to receive any sort of response beyond the automated receipt notification. I haven't checked up on it yet because I'm working on requested revisions for that manuscript.

katpaws
10-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Submitted via online form on 7/09, making today the three month mark. No response yet. I get the feeling from their website that they occassionally work backwards through the slushpile, resulting in a variety of wait times.

And yeah, the ms has been revised as per other agent's suggestions since my July submission, but there doesn't seem to be an option for submitting revisions so... keep hoping!

Traven
10-09-2009, 07:18 PM
I wound up tinkering a bit with a couple of chapters, particularly the first one, after I submitted to their online maw. I e-mailed them a few weeks back asking was there any way to substitute the new for the old...and no reply. No response to my uploaded query, which was done on 8/21...but, from others, I see that six-seven weeks is nothing with these folks. So, I long ago moved on mentally.

It strikes me that agents/agencies who routinely take months to respond to queries are going to be missing out on quite a few Kite Runner-type opportunities which will be snatched up by faster-moving agents/agencies. But maybe that's OK with them. I admire those agents who close down their submissions for awhile every now and then so they can clear out their backlogs.

hester
10-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Hi Traven! Love your blog, btw...

Unfortunately I don't think they allow resubmissions, at least per what is says on their homepage.

Traven
10-09-2009, 11:59 PM
hester, thanks for your comments about the blog. I understand "resubmission" to mean sending it to them again after they've refused you. what i was talking about was sending a slightly revised submission before they've said anything about you (at least to your face!).

I should probably also add that my comments above about Kite Runner-type opportunities wasn't to suggest that my little book is anywhere in that class of opus.

eveningstar
10-15-2009, 07:45 PM
Quick update: I received a personalized rejection 4 months to the day after my initial query, with an invitation to submit other work.

Traven
10-15-2009, 08:34 PM
Four months. Well, I guess I'll get my rejection right around Christmas...

katpaws
10-15-2009, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the info, Eveningstar. Sorry about the R. I'm waiting for mine any day now...

Traven, ITA about admiring those agents who close down their submissions to catch up. It makes a huge difference.

Hooty'smom
10-28-2009, 09:38 AM
I queried Prospect a little over three months ago, and still no word. They state not to email them about the status of "unsolicited" manuscripts. So, guess I'll have to grin and bear it. :-)

5bcarnies
11-05-2009, 12:34 PM
I finally got the courage to send out my query. Here we go!

Moost
11-05-2009, 07:36 PM
Queried Becca Stumpf today because she seems like a good match.

I liked the "share a favorite sentence from your MS" part. Wonder if the fact I included "If I wanted to make a political statement I’d paint my body with the anarchy symbol and streak naked through the village like I used to do" will work against me.

5bcarnies
11-06-2009, 09:08 AM
I liked that part too. But it was so hard to figure out because of the large number of sentences. hehe. I ended up going with..."I indentified with the true nature of the war and slapped it in the face."

katpaws
11-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Still waiting to hear back--I hit the 4 month mark today.

Traven
11-09-2009, 07:28 PM
80 days and counting for me. They ought to rename it the Slow-As-Molasses Agency.

katpaws
11-10-2009, 05:36 PM
That 4 month mark turned into a very sweet, encouraging R late yesterday afternoon. Sometimes the kind Rs are more difficult to take than the form ones because they give you that sense that you were close, but not close enough. (And also the sense that you missed out on a great agent!)

SallyR
11-10-2009, 09:31 PM
Still waiting too....

Krista G.
11-10-2009, 10:12 PM
I'm sitting at around 100 days now. Since I got the confirmation e-mail, I don't plan to status query. I figure they'll get to it when they get to it.

rtrgirl
11-11-2009, 05:14 AM
I submitted to them in May on an earlier project and never heard back. Just FYI.

Traven
11-11-2009, 06:54 AM
That's comforting, he says, sarcastically....

honeysock
11-16-2009, 08:27 PM
"80 days and counting for me. They ought to rename it the Slow-As-Molasses Agency."

Only, they're not so slow when it comes to informing you that you are not following instructions. I queried on 11/11. On 11/12 I received an email telling me they do not take "repeat submissions," and according to their records, I had already submitted to them.

Really? That was so long ago--at least 5 years, 10 revisions, 3 moves, and 1 computer ago--that I no longer have my query log from that time period. In fact, I queried them this time because I didn't recognize the name of the agency and was *sure* I hadn't contacted them before.

Hmph! I definitely won't make that mistake again.

curlbe
11-16-2009, 09:00 PM
"80 days and counting for me. They ought to rename it the Slow-As-Molasses Agency."

Only, they're not so slow when it comes to informing you that you are not following instructions. I queried on 11/11. On 11/12 I received an email telling me they do not take "repeat submissions," and according to their records, I had already submitted to them.

Really? That was so long ago--at least 5 years, 10 revisions, 3 moves, and 1 computer ago--that I no longer have my query log from that time period. In fact, I queried them this time because I didn't recognize the name of the agency and was *sure* I hadn't contacted them before.

Interesting - and rather bizarre - story. Were they even around five years a go? Maybe they have an automatic filter that recognizes names or titles that have been submitted before?? Are you sure you did actually submit all that time a go because maybe (esp if it's a filter of some kind) they made a mistake and you have a similar name/title to someone who submitted more recently? I've never heard of an agency balking at a resubmission five years later because most agents admit quite honestly, the chances of them remembering a specific query - or even a manuscript - they read five years later is unlikely.

Traven
11-16-2009, 09:25 PM

Just change the title of your book (it's not permanent) and re-submit. Assuming you want to re-submit.

brimfire
11-17-2009, 12:56 AM
I've heard this story before -some getting a quick replying tellling a writer not to submit more than one project at a time. I think I might have read it over at QueryTracker. Anyway, that makes me think it could be an automatically generated message or the filter thing curlbe mentioned. Maybe.

honeysock
11-17-2009, 02:00 AM
Interesting - and rather bizarre - story. Were they even around five years a go? Maybe they have an automatic filter that recognizes names or titles that have been submitted before?? Are you sure you did actually submit all that time a go because maybe (esp if it's a filter of some kind) they made a mistake and you have a similar name/title to someone who submitted more recently? I've never heard of an agency balking at a resubmission five years later because most agents admit quite honestly, the chances of them remembering a specific query - or even a manuscript - they read five years later is unlikely.

I know! The reply came so quickly it did seem like an automated response. I don't know if they were around five years ago (I've researched so d*** many agencies these last few weeks they're all a blur now) but I know I didn't submit twice to them this time around. My record-keeping is pretty good.

And yeah, I probably won't re-submit. They take forever to respond to first-time queries (or not at all, according to this thread) yet they're all over re-submissions. Does putting me in my place really take priority over all those unanswered queries?

Just gonna move on.

curlbe
11-17-2009, 05:23 AM
And yeah, I probably won't re-submit. They take forever to respond to first-time queries (or not at all, according to this thread) yet they're all over re-submissions. Does putting me in my place really take priority over all those unanswered queries? Just gonna move on.

Yeah, probably for the best. I submitted back in Aug and never heard...good luck with the other agents you're querying/submitting to!

honeysock
11-17-2009, 06:53 AM
Thanks Curlbe.

Nya RAyne
11-17-2009, 07:52 AM
I queried them back in March and a whole MS later still have yet to hear a damn thing. Honestly, regardless of how hard up I am for an agent, they would probably be one of the last agencies I query.

Hooty'smom
11-17-2009, 09:01 AM
Thanks to Mac for welcoming to this site. Good info. here!

Traven
11-19-2009, 11:36 PM
Just out of curiosity, is anyone out in the AW universe a client of these folks, and if so, are they as ponderously slow when you're signed with them as they are in responding to queries?

Krista G.
12-04-2009, 06:26 PM
For those of you who never got a response from this agency, did you get the confirmation e-mail they sent after making your submission on their website?

Still waiting to hear back on mine. Submitted July 31, received confirmation e-mail same day. I'm still thinking they might possibly respond (a submission last year went nearly four months, August 12 to December 5), but of course, I'm really not expecting it anymore.

Erin
12-04-2009, 09:42 PM
For those of you who never got a response from this agency, did you get the confirmation e-mail they sent after making your submission on their website?

Still waiting to hear back on mine. Submitted July 31, received confirmation e-mail same day. I'm still thinking they might possibly respond (a submission last year went nearly four months, August 12 to December 5), but of course, I'm really not expecting it anymore.

I queried them a few weeks ago and got the confirmation email after submitting. Last year, I submitted another book and it took 3 months for them to respond to me--the day after Thanksgiving--request for full. It was rejected within a week. I don't have any problems with that kind of response!

mscelina
12-04-2009, 09:47 PM
They clocked in at under three months from initial query to a personal rejection on a full for me. I queried them in mid-August, sent the full at the end of October and received a polite, informative rejection last week. My experience with them has been timely and positive.

Krista G.
12-04-2009, 10:18 PM
Good to know. They do say on their website that they don't necessarily read submissions in order of receipt, which probably explains the disparity in response times. Maybe I still have a hope...

Of course, if I hear anything, I'll be sure to post :)

Traven
12-04-2009, 10:45 PM
I got the confirmation e-mail on my late August query. Not a peep since.

brimfire
12-05-2009, 01:40 AM
It took me about three months to get a request for a full from the query and three chapters. After that, it was about a month to a personalized rejection and invitation to submit future projects. I submited a couple of weeks ago with a new manuscript and mentioned the invitation. I'm still waiting (it hasn't been long at all), and do think they'll get to everyone's queries in time.

Hooty'smom
12-17-2009, 01:50 AM
Krista and Traven, have you heard anything? I submitted in late July and still no word.

Traven
12-17-2009, 02:24 AM
Not a word. Zero, zip, nada, bupkis, zilch, the sum of f-all.

Krista G.
12-17-2009, 09:50 PM
Krista and Traven, have you heard anything? I submitted in late July and still no word.

No word here, either. Maybe they'll get back on top of submissions after the new year. Here's hoping :)

Traven
12-17-2009, 09:58 PM
I've already consigned them to my "Lost at Sea" category. Even in slow-as-molasses Agent World, taking four or five months just to respond to a query is a bit much to take.

triceretops
12-18-2009, 12:15 AM
Yeah, I'm August 24th on a query. They did notify me of multiple subs, so I had to withdraw one book sent later. Still, approaching four months on a query is too much for me. If it goes partial, then full, we might be looking at a year for a response--maybe more.

Tri

AlterEgox5
12-18-2009, 02:01 AM
For anyone wondering, here's what the confirmation email states:

Thank you for submitting to Prospect Agency! We
look forward to reading the uploaded sample
manuscript, Crossover. We appreciate your patience
while we review your work. In most cases, you
should expect to hear a response within three
months. Please keep this receipt for your
records.

Respectfully,
Prospect Agency

Then they give some super-long "Submission Id" number. Whatever that's supposed to mean.

I queried October 1st. Haven't heard a peep. I have a note in my query log to do an auto-reject after 3 months. Now that's not what they say will happen, but I'm just going to assume. *shrug*

Hooty'smom
12-18-2009, 03:49 AM
Hmm... Thanks for the info., fellow writers. I have two other queries outstanding with other agents going on five months as well. Is my work really so bad that they don't respond? :-) I'm a little paranoid because one agent never responded to me after requesting a partial, even though she requested a SASE. Anyhoo... here's hoping we'll hear. In the meantime, God bless and have a Merry Christmas...

AlterEgox5
12-18-2009, 03:54 AM
Hmm... Thanks for the info., fellow writers. I have two other queries outstanding with other agents going on five months as well. Is my work really so bad that they don't respond? :-) I'm a little paranoid because one agent never responded to me after requesting a partial, even though she requested a SASE. Anyhoo... here's hoping we'll hear. In the meantime, God bless and have a Merry Christmas...
Always check their guidelines and policies to see if they have anything to say in regards to how long they take to respond or if they even do. Some agencies only respond if they're interested - make note of that in whatever way you track your queries so you know you don't need to bother with a follow-up letter.

If they don't have anything to say on the subject, I wait 3 months and then contact them about it. I once had an agent who apologized a great deal and stated he thought he had replied (and then apologized again and rejected me, haha). So you never know.

For someone who requested a partial, I'd definitely follow up after the amount of time they stay they need in order to read it.

sciri
12-18-2009, 04:00 AM
I queried October 1st. Haven't heard a peep. I have a note in my query log to do an auto-reject after 3 months. Now that's not what they say will happen, but I'm just going to assume. *shrug*

Hi there, in my case I got a form rejection (similar wording, made me think of the same automated response) a little over the three-month-mark. That was last year. I don't know why I submitted again about two months ago with novel number two. Sluggish as they are, at this point I am auto-rejecting myself.
Good luck!

Krista G.
12-18-2009, 06:13 PM
Always check their guidelines and policies to see if they have anything to say in regards to how long they take to respond or if they even do. Some agencies only respond if they're interested - make note of that in whatever way you track your queries so you know you don't need to bother with a follow-up letter.

If they don't have anything to say on the subject, I wait 3 months and then contact them about it. I once had an agent who apologized a great deal and stated he thought he had replied (and then apologized again and rejected me, haha). So you never know.

For someone who requested a partial, I'd definitely follow up after the amount of time they stay they need in order to read it.

Prospect doesn't say they only respond if interested, and I have gotten a rejection from them in the past with another manuscript. Also, keep in mind that they do take a partial with the initial query, so that could at least contribute to the slowdown.

That said, we've all been waiting for a while. I guess we'll just have to wait some more (or, as several others have mentioned, move on).

Nya RAyne
12-22-2009, 02:34 AM
For everyone that's still waiting to hear back from this group, I queried them back in August and totally forgot about it until today when I opened up my email to find a form "R". Seriously, after making me wait FOREVER one would think that they would at least reply with something more personal.

Anyone, after waiting so long the "R" really didn't have much of a sting at all. So, maybe I should be thanking them. :)

curlbe
12-22-2009, 03:35 AM
For everyone that's still waiting to hear back from this group, I queried them back in August and totally forgot about it until today when I opened up my email to find a form "R". Seriously, after making me wait FOREVER one would think that they would at least reply with something more personal.

Anyone, after waiting so long the "R" really didn't have much of a sting at all. So, maybe I should be thanking them. :)

Same here! I queried in august and just got the form R today too. Christmas cleaning? It's officially, the longest I've waited for any kind of answer from any agency. Makes you wonder why they don't just say "If you don't hear in eight weeks we're not interested" like other agencies, if they're just going to hold on to batches of queries for months and then send out mass-form-Rs...

quillfish
12-22-2009, 09:07 PM
I suspect they got behind on submissions and are using the slow holiday time to catch up - I think that's pretty common. Also, as Krista mentioned, they are asking for a partial right up front, and those are going to take longer to review.

My 2 cents - I think it's good they hold onto them until they have time to give careful consideration rather than just sending a form R because the 3-month mark has passed. But I know how hard it is waiting - I had several agents that took 5-6 months to respond.

Traven
12-23-2009, 05:44 AM
Well, from the looks of it, I should be getting my rejection e-mail any day now -- oh, boy, just in time for Christmas!

Krista G.
12-23-2009, 10:07 AM
Well, from the looks of it, I should be getting my rejection e-mail any day now -- oh, boy, just in time for Christmas!

*Wiggles hand in the air* Me, too, Traven! Me, too! Been waiting since July, so I'll be happy with anything...a form rejection with my name misspelled...or someone else's name entirely :)

Cyia
12-26-2009, 04:18 AM
This is a weird one. I got an email yesterday - an "R" - from Prospect, with editorial notes, and I can't remember querying them. (The notes are concerning "later chapters", and I certainly don't remember sending a partial or full out to them...) I have no idea which agent read it, and there's no "sent" email in my list.

I appreciate the feedback, but I wish I knew when I sent it :Shrug:

At least they requested a read for future projects, so I have a name to add to my list :D

honeysock
12-26-2009, 05:53 AM

That was from my post #128. I'm telling ya, they've got a messed-up system.

Giant Baby
12-26-2009, 06:54 AM
This is a weird one. I got an email yesterday - an "R" - from Prospect, with editorial notes, and I can't remember querying them. (The notes are concerning "later chapters", and I certainly don't remember sending a partial or full out to them...) I have no idea which agent read it, and there's no "sent" email in my list.

I appreciate the feedback, but I wish I knew when I sent it :Shrug:

At least they requested a read for future projects, so I have a name to add to my list :D

Cyia-

Congrats on the request to see future projects!

Prospect uses an online form for submissions, so there won't be anything in your sent emails, even if you did query/send materials. Could it have been sent on a whim when tired or sending out several queries at once? (Judging by response times, this could have been a while ago...)

Curious, but as positive a R can be, by the sound of it. Good luck!

-GB

Cyia
12-26-2009, 08:22 AM
Prospect uses an online form for submissions, so there won't be anything in your sent emails, even if you did query/send materials.

Ah! That makes more sense. Thanks! (Good to know I'm not totally bonkers :ROFL:)

Traven
12-26-2009, 10:05 PM
You should have gotten an automated acknowledgment of your submission. You can search your received e-mails to see if/when you did.

AlterEgox5
12-26-2009, 10:15 PM
Do you keep a query log of any kind? I do. Otherwise I'm pretty certain I'd screw up and query a few agencies twice...

AlterEgox5
01-04-2010, 02:35 AM
Righto then. 3 month auto-reject now assumed.

MOVIN' ON!

britinboston
01-07-2010, 01:56 AM
So the next question becomes - if Prospect Agency is this slow with responding to submissions, how efficient are they at placing with publishers if they do (eventually) offer to represent you? Anyone currently with them have any any experience here?
They asked me for the full manuscript after 6 months, but I'm still waiting (over 2 months) to hear the final word. If I'm lucky enough that they want it, will I be pulling a pension before they start to market it?

rebobinar
01-07-2010, 03:26 AM
Typically response times to prospective clients doesn't have anything to do with response time for editors - in fact it could be the opposite, that they are so busy selling their clients books that they have less time for the slush pile.

5bcarnies
01-07-2010, 03:32 AM
I've been wondering the same thing. During my research I noticed that a lot of their authors' books are not yet published or in the works. And when I say a lot I mean like half or a little over. It's been a couple months since I looked at the website so my memory may be a little foggy about how many there were like that.

Droneon
01-07-2010, 05:26 AM
I really have to wonder about them. Even by the laid-back standards of Agentworld they seem kind of slow-pokie.

loriwriter
01-12-2010, 01:22 AM
I queried them in June of 2009 and just received a request for the full. I'd written them off as a "no repsonse means no." Guess not. Now the waiting begins . . . again.

BTW, Publishers Marketplace lists 10 sales in the last 12 months, and those are just the deals they've reported. ESK is ranked #19 out of 100 agents for romance sales with them. Not bad. She may be slow, but she's selling.

Traven
01-12-2010, 02:57 AM
Well, hallelujah, loriwriter! Since June!

Krista G.
01-13-2010, 01:49 AM
I queried them in June of 2009 and just received a request for the full. I'd written them off as a "no repsonse means no." Guess not. Now the waiting begins . . . again.

BTW, Publishers Marketplace lists 10 sales in the last 12 months, and those are just the deals they've reported. ESK is ranked #19 out of 100 agents for romance sales with them. Not bad. She may be slow, but she's selling.

Good luck with that, loriwriter. I'll be interested to hear how quickly they respond to a full that they requested (as opposed to the hundreds and hundreds of unsolicited partials they receive).

Traven
01-13-2010, 07:01 PM
Well, my form rejection from these folks finally rolled in, a mere 142 days after I'd queried them, long after I'd stopped caring what they think. In taking top honors, they beat out their nearest competitor by 83 days.

Hooty'smom
01-25-2010, 10:13 PM
It has now been over six months and I haven't heard a word. Frustrating to say the least... Guess it's time to move on.

djaffe
02-08-2010, 05:31 AM
Submitted my query and sample chapters to Ms. Stumpf via the online form this morning. Considering the response times noted above, I'm looking forward to hearing back when this little acorn I planted reaches the 6 foot mark :)

Hooty'smom
02-11-2010, 05:59 AM
Good luck, djaffe. I still haven't heard back. I don't recommend this agency.... too slow!

Sage
02-11-2010, 06:40 AM
There are many good agencies and agents that take a long time with queries. Reason? There's busy working with their clients and only deal with queries when they can.

Traven
02-11-2010, 07:37 AM
There are many good agencies and agents that take a long time with queries. Reason? There's busy working with their clients and only deal with queries when they can.

"A long time" is one thing. Eons are another -- and Prospect takes eons.

AlterEgox5
02-11-2010, 08:18 AM
Sage, for shame! I expect more from you.

Anyway potential queryers, Prospect also states on their site that they don't necessarily read queries in the order that they get them (which, frankly, I find a bit irritable), so who knows?

Perhaps mine is just constantly at the bottom of the pile with a few others. *shrug*

Chumplet
02-11-2010, 08:26 AM
I also noticed they state if you don't get a response in six months, to requery. That is, if you haven't already found a home for your book.

Realistically, a query with a synopsis and 3 chapter should be treated like a partial. It won't get a prompt response like a query. Imagine those year-long waits at Kensington!

I threw my hat in the ring yesterday, but the synopsis probably sucks. I'm confident about the partial, though. Sort of...

Sage
02-11-2010, 08:32 AM
Sage, for shame :e2shower:

Krista G.
02-12-2010, 03:02 AM
I also noticed they state if you don't get a response in six months, to requery. That is, if you haven't already found a home for your book.

Hmm. I think this is a new addition since I queried, er, six and a half months ago. I probably ought to resubmit, just so I don't have to wonder.

If I do - and if I hear anything - I'll let everyone know.

AlterEgox5
02-12-2010, 08:14 AM
Don't know exactly when this was added or if it was on there to begin with (it's been a while since I've visited their website...), but this is what it states:

What if I don't receive a response to my submission?
While we aim to respond to every submission within the time frame stated above, there may be rare occasions when you do not receive a response. We apologize. If you have not heard back from us in over six months and you are still interested in representation, please do resubmit your work through the website.

Hooty'smom
02-16-2010, 03:42 AM
I also noticed that "if you haven't heard after six months" blurp. I think it is new; however, I won't resubmit--not interested in waiting another six months! I have written two books and dealt with lots of agents, but Prospect is, by far, one of the slowest. Although I understand that lots of people are writing books right now, and maybe they are just way behind. Anyway, I personally have decided to forego agents and start submitting directly to publishers. I found one called Turner Publishing that is currently accepting unagented (sp?) manuscripts. So I said a prayer and sent mine off. We'll see what happens. Good luck to you all...

ILSinTexas
02-22-2010, 05:05 AM
Hi, all!

Anyone submit to Prospect in the last three months? I submitted via their online form on 11/12/09. My submission was directed to Becca, and, yes, I got the form email that they received it. It has now passed the 3-month mark. I'm thinking they're just bogged down, and I'll probably get my R any day now. But I was wondering if there is anyone in the boat with me, or if I'm alone without a paddle? :D

I've also noticed a HUGE difference in response time from agents in general. When I queried my last work (in the summer of 2008) the response time was a lot faster. Since I query in batches, it's very frustrating. In the meantime, I'm working on my next project.

Thanks for your thoughts --

ILS

Nya RAyne
02-22-2010, 05:37 AM
"A long time" is one thing. Eons are another -- and Prospect takes eons.

I totally agree. Has anyone ever gotten representation from this company? I queried in May of 2009 and didn't hear anything back until December of 2009. I have to say, I'm a little skittish about querying them with my new ms.

sissybaby
02-22-2010, 05:43 AM
Hi, ILS,

I have only submitted to Prospect twice, but it's been quite some time. One rejection came within a very short time, I think that was to Emily Sylvan Kim. The other one, I never heard back on.

Sorry I can't offer more for you.

Sissy

Erin
02-22-2010, 05:44 AM
Hi, all!

Anyone submit to Prospect in the last three months? I submitted via their online form on 11/12/09. My submission was directed to Becca, and, yes, I got the form email that they received it. It has now passed the 3-month mark. I'm thinking they're just bogged down, and I'll probably get my R any day now. But I was wondering if there is anyone in the boat with me, or if I'm alone without a paddle? :D

I've also noticed a HUGE difference in response time from agents in general. When I queried my last work (in the summer of 2008) the response time was a lot faster. Since I query in batches, it's very frustrating. In the meantime, I'm working on my next project.

Thanks for your thoughts --

ILS

I submitted to Becca via the online form on 11/14. Haven't heard anything either.

I've also noticed a big difference in response times in the last 6 months or so. Many more who don't respond at all now.

AlterEgox5
02-22-2010, 08:14 AM
I submitted to them 10/1/09 and haven't heard a peep. I've long since written them off.

Don't think I'll bother with them when it comes to my next ms.

Cathy in AK
02-23-2010, 05:37 AM
Newbie coming out of lurk just to say a little about my experience with Prospect and others. I subbed to Prospect via their online form on 9/10/09 and received a request for the full MS in the beginning of December. I'm waiting patiently : ) to hear back on that. At one agency, I waited 10 months on a requested partial (yes I gave up on that one after getting no response to two status queries at the 6 month mark), and received a no thanks almost 2 YEARS after subbing a full at another. Granted, the 2 year one was being considered during some agency upheavals, so I don't know how that counts : )

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know Prospect might be slow, but they are by no means the slowest : ) Good luck to all who have subbed!

coloradogirl
03-13-2010, 09:17 PM
Coming out of lurkdom to say that I signed with Becca recently - which I am totally thrilled about, because I think she's awesome! - and her policy is to respond to clients within 24 hours, which she has certainly been doing with me as we get ready for submission (which happens next week, woo hoo!). She's been super responsive and efficient, and happy to answer all of my thousands of questions, no matter how small/silly.

During The Call, we actually talked a little about Prospect's response times to submissions...I never went through the Prospect website, since I met Becca at a critique workshop at a conference and she asked for my full then. Becca said that yes, her response to queries is slower than some, but that's because she's essentially evaluating a partial, not just a query - and even though she has an intern read first, she always looks at every submission at least briefly herself. (And she promises she gets to them all eventually!) She also attends a fair number of conferences and gets lots of submissions that way as well in addition to the queries via the agency website. Like other agents, her clients come first, and her response time to queries has little to do with her responsiveness as an agent.

Anyway, just wanted to say that as far as I'm concerned, she's worth the wait! Even before I signed with her, she gave me excellent feedback on my ms, and was exceptionally kind, friendly, and enthusiastic about meeting new writers.

AlterEgox5
03-13-2010, 11:45 PM
Colorado - how long did it take from the time you submitted to the time that you actually got the initial "let me see the rest" response?

Cathy in AK
03-14-2010, 04:27 AM
Congrats on signing with Becca, Colorado! Thanks for the insider view. I'd be interested in knowing how long it took her to respond to your full. Becca has had mine for about 3 months and I don't want to nudge too soon :P

coloradogirl
03-14-2010, 06:37 AM
First time around, she'd read my first 10 pages and overview at a conference critique workshop and asked for my full - I nudged at the 4 month mark when I hadn't heard anything, and she responded within the week rejecting but giving detailed, specific feedback on the ms and said she'd be open to seeing a revision.

By that time I'd joined an awesome critique group and already realized the ms needed work, so I'd started on a huge rewrite anyway. When I finished the revision, I emailed her a partial. She warned me it'd take her a while to get to it, which I was fine with. About 3 months later, she emailed to say she was loving the revision and wanted to see the rest.

Once I sent in the full that time, she was very quick - emailed back just shy of 2 weeks later to say she loved it and wanted to set up a time to call.

Cathy, if I were you I'd probably hold on a little longer and nudge at the 4 month mark...I've heard from others that Becca's response times to fulls usually run 3-4 months. But do not fear to nudge! She really is very nice and understanding.

Cathy in AK
03-14-2010, 09:42 PM
Thanks, Colorado. With my sending just before the holidays, I figured it would take a bit for her to get around to me. I'll hold off for a little longer, but I'm not sure if my chewed fingernails can handle it :)

AlterEgox5
03-15-2010, 02:04 AM
Cathy, you might also want to check out the rest of this forum. Most of us who have queried using their online submission form haven't heard back until much, much later (and many of us, myself included, haven't heard anything yet and it's been over 4 months. I might be at 6 now). That's why I wanted to know how long it took Colorado to hear back. Apparently CO was lucky in that she met Becca in person and got asked for some material.

Either way, congrats CO girl! =D

Cathy in AK
03-15-2010, 03:28 AM
Hi AlterEgox5 : )
I have read through the forum and noted the long waits. I was lucky enough to hear from Becca about 3 months after subbing via the online form and now I'm waiting to hear about the full ms she requested.

I can totally sympathize with the queriers' limbo folks seem to be in, as I've experienced it before with other agents, and hope you and the others waiting get replies soon.

Hooty'smom
03-16-2010, 02:41 AM
Hmm... I "nudged" Emily and got absolutely no response at all. I wonder if perhaps she lost my submission, or was just totally uninterested?? Congratulations to Coloradogirl though! Wonderful news!

Krista G.
03-16-2010, 03:03 AM
Coming out of lurkdom to say that I signed with Becca recently - which I am totally thrilled about, because I think she's awesome! - and her policy is to respond to clients within 24 hours, which she has certainly been doing with me as we get ready for submission (which happens next week, woo hoo!). She's been super responsive and efficient, and happy to answer all of my thousands of questions, no matter how small/silly.

During The Call, we actually talked a little about Prospect's response times to submissions...I never went through the Prospect website, since I met Becca at a critique workshop at a conference and she asked for my full then. Becca said that yes, her response to queries is slower than some, but that's because she's essentially evaluating a partial, not just a query - and even though she has an intern read first, she always looks at every submission at least briefly herself. (And she promises she gets to them all eventually!) She also attends a fair number of conferences and gets lots of submissions that way as well in addition to the queries via the agency website. Like other agents, her clients come first, and her response time to queries has little to do with her responsiveness as an agent.

Anyway, just wanted to say that as far as I'm concerned, she's worth the wait! Even before I signed with her, she gave me excellent feedback on my ms, and was exceptionally kind, friendly, and enthusiastic about meeting new writers.

Thanks for this, coloradogirl. There's no better endorsement than one from a client.

Jordan Kane
03-16-2010, 06:30 AM
Adding my stats: Queried on 8/24/09; request for a full on 3/15/10.

coloradogirl
03-16-2010, 09:15 PM
AlterEgox5 - Sorry it's been such a long wait for you - I know Becca said she's pretty backed up on queries at the moment.

And yes, I was totally lucky to have done that workshop with her at the conference and bypassed the query stage. The workshop was great in more ways than one, actually, because I also got to see her "in action", so to speak - get a feel for how she edits, what kinds of things she looks for, what bothers her most, etc. Plus, she gave us all the opportunity at the end to ask questions both about her agenting style in specific and about publishing in general. The workshop was at the Rocky Mtn Fiction Writers "Colorado Gold" conference. They do similar critique workshops with agents & editors every year - it's an awesome opportunity. Far better than a pitch appointment, since the agent or editor actually reads your pages in advance, and gives you direct feedback. And if they like it and ask for more, that's an extra bonus!

Cathy - good luck with your full! Hang in there...I know how hard the waiting is!

And thanks everyone on the congrats! :)

Hooty'smom
03-18-2010, 04:13 AM
After nudging Emily once again, she finally responded to me (I submitted in July of last year). I must say she was very nice--and very complimentary--and one of the nicest agents I've dealt with. So, yes, this agency is worth the wait...even though she rejected me. On to the next chapter...

Krista G.
03-30-2010, 02:03 AM
I heard back today! With a form rejection. Wonder if that was to my initial submission (which I made back on July 31 of last year) or my resubmission (which I made on February 11 of this one)...

Total turnaround time, then, was either eight months or six weeks. I'll let you decide which :)

AlterEgox5
04-02-2010, 08:21 AM
It looks like 6 months is the magic time frame for Prospect; queried 10/1/09, got an R today (unless it's an April Fool's joke...which would not be funny. :P).

Erin
04-02-2010, 08:32 PM
They must be catching up on last year's queries...I queried 11/14 and received rejection 3/29.

Beckstah
04-02-2010, 10:36 PM
They're catching up in general, I think. I queried a week ago yesterday and got my rejection today.

ILSinTexas
04-18-2010, 06:02 AM
Humm...

I queried 11/12/09. Still waiting for my R. If it doesn't come by the six-month mark, I get to requery and stand in line all over again :roll:

ILS

Maddie
04-18-2010, 11:36 PM
Prospect took about four months to respond (with an R) to my query.

Chumplet
04-27-2010, 02:19 AM
Queried with chapters February 9th, 2010, received my form R today.

Annarkie
04-27-2010, 06:39 AM
I think it took them 7 months on my last novel. Debating on whether or not to query them for this one.

Maddie
04-27-2010, 07:05 AM
And funny thing - I queried another novel two weeks ago (different from the novel I queried to Prospect in my 4/18 posting). I used their online submissions form both times - received the R on the query I sent two weeks ago just yesterday. That was fairly quick....for Prospect.

Annarkie
04-27-2010, 08:59 PM
Hmmm...When you put it that way....

Maddie
04-27-2010, 09:29 PM
Anyway, it never hurts to send a query - especially when it's electronic, and you're not out a couple of stamps. You never know how it might turn out!

Annarkie
04-28-2010, 03:22 AM
Thanks, Maddie. I gave it a shot. Anyway, this project is way better than my last one. :) Fingers crossed. I tried Emily this time.

kaitie
04-28-2010, 03:57 PM
Holy crap! I just got a full request... :eek:

HistorySleuth
04-28-2010, 05:11 PM
AHHHHH!!!! Kaitie! :snoopy: OMG!!!! You go girl!!!!!!

Little1
04-28-2010, 05:15 PM
Congrats Kaitie :) They seem like a wonderful agencie I hope they say yes :)

kaitie
04-28-2010, 07:30 PM
I am too nervous for words.

That's not true. I've been rambling via email. I ramble when I'm nervous.

Nya RAyne
04-28-2010, 11:21 PM
Holy crap! I just got a full request... :eek:

Great news!! I was just beginning to wonder if anyone ever got anything other than that dastardly "R".

Great news indeed!!

Maddie
04-29-2010, 12:27 AM
Great news, kaitie! This is what I mean, querying is always a plus!

Annarkie
04-29-2010, 02:10 AM
YAY KAITIE! That's wonderful news!

kaitie
04-29-2010, 07:26 AM
Thanks guys. :) I'm going to send it off later today. It was based on the first three chapters (in theory, they were included), which is by far the weakest part of the book, so I'm hoping she likes the rest. We'll see. :) I'll let you know how it turns out in any case, and time lines.

Dot Hutchison
05-01-2010, 05:13 PM
I originally queried Ms. Kim back in August, and wrote them off when I didn't hear anything. Then suddenly at the end of February, I got an e-mail requesting a full!

Bit of a shock, but a nice one; haven't heard since. I've gotten a couple of bites off my my current round of queries, though, so I'll hopefully hear back when I update her to that.

Wisteria Vine
05-05-2010, 02:15 AM
I queried Prospect in October; got a full request in February. Still waiting.

Annarkie
05-07-2010, 02:13 AM
And a form R from Emily. At least it was quick.

Wisteria Vine
05-09-2010, 02:48 AM
I wish I could say my interaction with this agency was positive, but sadly, it was not. I queried back in October of 2009. Got a request for a full in February of 2010.

I got an offer of representation from another agency in May (after only six weeks from query with that agency) and notified Prospect per their instructions on their submissions page. Within one hour, I got a response with an unflattering review of my work.

It makes me wonder if they read it at all - or, if they did, why it took them eight months to get around to rejecting me.

I suppose the negative feedback on my work was just an extra added bonus!

Cathy in AK
05-12-2010, 04:50 AM
Received a pass from Becca Stumpf today :( Ah well. But she gave me some good feedback, so it's not all bad. Knowing *why* an agent or editor passes is the next best thing, right? :) Despite the relative slowness and need to nudge, I would query her and Prospect again.

Good luck to others out there!

ILSinTexas
05-12-2010, 05:00 AM
After reading all the prior posts, it looks as if I should receive my rejection any day now. I queried on 11/12/09.

kaitie
05-12-2010, 06:30 AM
I wish I could say my interaction with this agency was positive, but sadly, it was not. I queried back in October of 2009. Got a request for a full in February of 2010.

I got an offer of representation from another agency in May (after only six weeks from query with that agency) and notified Prospect per their instructions on their submissions page. Within one hour, I got a response with an unflattering review of my work.

It makes me wonder if they read it at all - or, if they did, why it took them eight months to get around to rejecting me.

I suppose the negative feedback on my work was just an extra added bonus!

My guess is that hearing you had an offer on the table, they put you to the top of the stack, not that they'd read it initially and then just waited eight months to get back to you. Was the negative response actually rude? Or just negative? My guess is they decided not to make an offer and, instead of just giving you a form response back on a full (which bothers a lot of people) they were telling you why they were passing.

Wisteria Vine
05-13-2010, 12:51 AM
My guess is that hearing you had an offer on the table, they put you to the top of the stack, not that they'd read it initially and then just waited eight months to get back to you. Was the negative response actually rude? Or just negative? My guess is they decided not to make an offer and, instead of just giving you a form response back on a full (which bothers a lot of people) they were telling you why they were passing.

The response was actually rude. I don't mind negative comments - that's why we submit to experts to get their opinion, right?

A few days later, I got another response from an agent who had the full and her response was courteous and contained valuable feedback. The difference between the two was night and day.

Oh, well. Live and learn, I guess.

folkchick
05-14-2010, 12:46 AM
I just sent in a query package to Prospect. Please, oh please lord, let me receive good news.

Little1
05-23-2010, 04:10 PM
Kaitie any update?

kaitie
05-23-2010, 04:26 PM
Oh yeah! Forgotted to put it over here. Got a no on the 18th.

ILSinTexas
06-04-2010, 04:46 AM
Well, I'm still waiting on my 11/12/09 submission to Becca. I really don't want to get back in line *sigh* Maybe I'll wait and query again when I've gone through my list of agents I want to query.

ILSinTexas
06-18-2010, 07:53 AM
Well, I requeried tonight. We'll see.

holdencaulfield
07-22-2010, 07:47 PM
I think they only look for avant garde, neo-intellectual crap so they can feel good about themselves when they sit in Starbucks drinking $12 lattes and complain about Karl Rove.

AlterEgox5
07-23-2010, 09:11 AM
I queried with a different novel on 7/12 and got an R on 7/21. Impressive since last time it took 6 months. Guess they really don't go in order when they get queries...

Kaitlin Bartlett
07-24-2010, 02:43 AM
I just queried Becca...fingers crossed! Filling out their query form was fun; i love that they asked about the last book I read. :)

LA Carlson
08-12-2010, 10:28 PM
Have tried a few times to submit under Prospect's electronic process, won't go through. Contacted the Webmaster on 8-10-10 but haven't gotten a response.
Any insights would be appreciated.

LA Carlson
08-24-2010, 09:32 PM
Haven't received a response to the 2 emails sent to webmaster regarding submission issues. Emailed Becca Stumpf to request assistance, no response.
Moving on.

CharleyGirl
08-27-2010, 08:49 PM
I queried Emily with a middle grade submission on 7/23 and got a full request today...let the waiting begin :)

Nya RAyne
08-27-2010, 09:05 PM
I queried Emily with a middle grade submission on 7/23 and got a full request today...let the waiting begin :)

Good luck!!

Chumplet
08-27-2010, 10:53 PM
Haven't received a response to the 2 emails sent to webmaster regarding submission issues. Emailed Becca Stumpf to request assistance, no response.
Moving on.

Sorry you had trouble. Maybe try a different browser?

CharleyGirl
08-28-2010, 02:06 AM
Good luck!!

Thanks!

themanda
09-12-2010, 04:54 AM
Moving on.

sorry! my online submission just went through with no issues. as suggested above, maybe try using a different browser? are you uploading a doc type that they say they'll accept? what is the specific error message?

Ken
09-13-2010, 02:41 PM
... queried Becca back in March, per online form. No response.

chimita
10-20-2010, 06:08 PM
Queried Emily 2 days ago and received a request today :) ... I'd thought it was going to be way slower!
CharleyGirl, is she still reading your full?

CharleyGirl
10-21-2010, 12:24 AM
Queried Emily 2 days ago and received a request today :) ... I'd thought it was going to be way slower!
CharleyGirl, is she still reading your full?

chimita~

Emily still has my full. It's coming up on 2 months now. Best of luck to you :)

chimita
10-21-2010, 08:01 AM
chimita~

Emily still has my full. It's coming up on 2 months now. Best of luck to you :)

Thanks!! and good luck to you too! I hope she answers soon, and I hope she doesn't make the both of us wait too long!! :D

Nya RAyne
10-21-2010, 08:06 AM
I think they only look for avant garde, neo-intellectual crap so they can feel good about themselves when they sit in Starbucks drinking $12 lattes and complain about Karl Rove.

ROFL. I've had these same thoughts.