The Perfect Gift

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I found the perfect Christmas gift for my husband!

He's not easy to buy for. His two passions are fishing and wood-working, and he was supposed to tell me what reel he wanted. But now, all he does is shrug and tell me he doesn't really want anything.

The thing is, I'm sure he doesn't. He's one of the most laid-back, non-materialistic person I know. His contracting job doesn't exactly require suits or anything, so he wears his jeans and t-shirts until they fall apart. He has one suit and 2 nice pair of jeans and a handful of decent shirts. He doesn't need anything else, and if he does, he buys it. He never wants anything more than a good meal, and if he does - like a new reel or a new table saw - he generally buys it.

But I thought of the perfect thing! I thought this could be a thread in which to celebrate the perfect gifts we're giving, because, if you're like me, you hate giving gift cards and rack your brain in order to find a present that fits the person.

My gift: Kid Rock tickets.

My husband loves Kid Rock and thinks he puts on one hell of a show (which he does). He really loves the new song "Born Free." My stepdaughter loves that song too, and my husband said if Kid Rock put on a show nearby, we'd take our stepdaughter for her first concert.

Well, Kid Rock isn't touring anywhere near us.

The closest place - on a Saturday so that we can take the kiddo (her mother wouldn't let her out of school) - is 7.5 hours away.

No problem. I'll get us a hotel room.

Tickets go on sale Thursday, and I am psyched!

CheyElizabeth

My horn can pierce the sky!
Registered
Reaction score
It's always a great feeling to know you have found the perfect gift! The perfect gift for my husband would be super bowl tickets... which means he's going to have to settle for less than perfect gifts until I magically strike it rich.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
It's always a great feeling to know you have found the perfect gift! The perfect gift for my husband would be super bowl tickets... which means he's going to have to settle for less than perfect gifts until I magically strike it rich.

Haha. I'm lucky - hubs generally hates crowds. He doesn't care about seeing games or concerts live. Crowds just make him claustrophobic.

But he really wants to see Kid Rock and would (will) gladly make an exception.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's an excellent gift.

Mr. Maryn and I see live music much more often than we did when our kids were home. (We had nobody to take them for a day or two.) We'll drive all or part of a day, check into our hotel, have dinner someplace ordinary, do the concert, come back to the hotel and drink a bottle of wine (which we brought with us), and in the morning we head home again, unless there's time to see or do one thing in whatever city we're in before returning.

It's like a little vacation!

Maryn, who last did this seeing Gordon Lightfoot

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Sweet, thanks alleycat!

I actually looked at another site and found that tickets ARE available. Man, they're expensive, but I'm glad I bought them now. We definitely didn't get the best seats, but I don't think that'll be a bad thing at all.

There even a shuttle to the arena from the hotel, so we can pregame and not spend a ton of money on booze at the concert.

I am so psyched and have no idea how I'm going to keep this from him for a whole month! I'm horrible at keeping gifts secret, but this one, (unlike last year) he won't be able to guess. And I don't think he'd buy the tickets himself. Like I said, there wasn't anything even within a few hours. There was one concert about 4.5 hours away, but not on a weekend, and I know he wants to take his daughter.

I'm rambling, but I'm so excited!

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whoopie - I'm psyched for you guys too - Have Fun! :snoopy:

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
That is an awesome gift, I am sure he will love it. And it is something he can share with you and his daughter.

I hate buying gifts for my hubby. Pretty much anything he would want is too expensive. One year I would love to go crazy and buy some nice things for him.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
My sister is really easy to buy gifts for, because she travels every year.

Last Christmas I bought her basically an encyclopedia of facts about every country on the planet. She was thrilled. She immediately decided she wanted to go to Egypt, but hasn't made it there yet. During the year she visited friends in America and England.

After that holiday she came back and said she wanted to do the Kokoda trail next year. So I bought her a thick first-hand experience of Kokoda by some guy. With pictures.

She'll love it.

Everyone else I buy gifts for, I never know what to get them. :(

whacko

Keeping up with the class
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Alpha,

That's a berrillliant gift.

I'm like your hubby. I buy all the things I want when I need them. Which is why I've got three, count them, suits. I'd only have one but my weight goes up and down. Up usually.

But what makes this present so great is that the kiddy is sharing her first concert with daddy's favourite. A touching, bonding moment that. And that experience is the gift.

Good for you.

Whacko

Eudoxia

The Undead Bookworm
Registered
Reaction score
I think I've found the perfect gift for my boyfriend. He really loves Broadway, so I was thinking of getting me and him some Broadway tickets for Phantom of the Opera (It's his favorite) and catching a plane over to New York and spending a couple of days there. It's a little bit pricey, but I think I can manage. :)