PDA

View Full Version : What was I thinking.....

hiddenwriter
11-29-2010, 02:35 AM
Hi! I've been thinking about writing for a long time and have finally decided to jump in. I am as new to writing on a regular basis as I am to writing on a forum. Any first suggestions? Anybody writing while holding a full-time job? Anybody just as lost? Anybody drink wine while thinking about writing?.... Anybody.........

Wayne K
11-29-2010, 02:37 AM
I do all of the above except work. Right now I'm lost and had too much wine. I thought this was "The Drunk Thread" :D

:welcome:to AW

Wayne K
11-29-2010, 02:38 AM
Someone normal will be along in a moment :D

hiddenwriter
11-29-2010, 02:40 AM
Oh THANK you, Wayne. Give me another hour and a burnt supper and it could be the drunk thread.

Wayne K
11-29-2010, 02:42 AM
We're over that way ->

jaksen
11-29-2010, 02:43 AM
I'm drinking cheap wine atm.

I wrote for years while teaching (which is full time, don't let anyone say otherwise; I used to correct papers on holidays, for crying out loud) and I also have three children, one of whom is handicapped.

It's all about devotion. A friend who 'couldn't find time to write,' used to say to me, How do you find the time?

My response: You always find the time to do the things you love.

And Welcome! :D

night-flyer
11-29-2010, 02:43 AM
Um...don't know if I'm the normal one, but Welcome to AW. :D

I work full time, I'm always lost and usually don't have a clue, and wine-yes, beer-yes, Colorado Bulldogs are the best.

The people here are good at helping one another, so jump on in and enjoy. :)

hiddenwriter
11-29-2010, 02:46 AM
Jaksen - I am also a teacher - 6th grade reading - and have two children one of whom has multiple disorders. Glad I'm in good company! What do you write now?

jvc
11-29-2010, 02:47 AM
Greetings and welcome to the watercooler :welcome:

Take a wander around the various forums, there's lots to see and lots to learn, and even some fun threads too. Come along and pop on over to the Traditional Irish Pub (at the top of the Newbie forum) and say hi, there's plenty of friendly faces that you can chat with and lots of banter. There's also the Question of the Day threads at the top of the Newbie forum where you can answer random questions.

Don't forget to read the newbie guide (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66315), and if you want to know what all the buttons mean check out this thread. (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28185)

swachski
11-29-2010, 04:56 AM
Welcome Hiddenwriter! You can drink wine while writing or even just thinking about writing, but it's a good idea to be sober before you share your work. Then again, the critiques will sober you up real fast. ;)

joyce
11-29-2010, 05:22 AM
:welcome: Welcome to the Cooler and I'm not normal but I can drink, write and smoke at the same time. I think I can even still drink and ride a bicycle too.:D

CACTUSWENDY
11-29-2010, 06:57 AM
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the ‘forum jump’ you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. Most of the SYW areas require the password of ….vista. A word to the wise, it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

regdog
11-29-2010, 02:11 PM
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l117/regdog/hello.gif

Don't forget to read the Newbie's Guide (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66315) and enjoy AW

I have passes for the pool on the roof, only $10

Nickie
11-29-2010, 07:47 PM
Hi there, and welcome! I am a full time teacher, and write when I find the time for it. That is not always the case, hence only one book per year.

Nickie

thehairymob
11-29-2010, 10:59 PM
:hi::hooray:

Wildflower90
11-29-2010, 11:01 PM
Hi I'm not working full time or at all right now, but trust me when you're writing creatively for a degree it's hard to find time to squeeze out anything for your own work! Wine always helps as does chocolate or ben&jerrys :0) My tip? Write as much or as little as you can. Never try to write more than what is there - unless under deadline obviously! Also, if having trouble picturing characters do what I do, cut out photos from hair magazines that look like the description! I read that in a writing magazine and it's amazing how well it works to focus your writing!

brainstorm77
11-30-2010, 02:19 AM
Welcome to the cooler.