My article or reporter's submission

susan08

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cherished79.wordpress.com
I submitted an article to a magazine which they liked but came up with another angle and asked if I would talk with one of their reporters about this subject. I didn't agree with this stating I could submit my own article. The freelance writer said she understood, yet ended with "you could be helping alot of people". I am really confused.

Although it's flattering that someone would want to interview me, but at the same time I have the ability to write something about me also.

colealpaugh

"Bear trumps Elephants!"
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colealpaugh.com
I started to say what a sleazy thing they were doing by wanting to pump you for info instead of paying you for the story. But the story is about you? I think you need to decide on your priorities. Is the first priority to get the story told? If so, then talk to the freelancer. Is it something you need to be paid for? Then hold out. Submit the article and don't offer an interview. Is it that you want the story told right and you don't trust a freelancer, but you really want the story published? Then agree to the interview, but provide the reporter with a hard copy of something you wrote. Most reporters love to get a well-written series of facts AND quotes. Do the work for them to nudge along the story's outcome.

If the angle they want doesn't interest you, then let them know they can take it or leave it.

susan08

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cherished79.wordpress.com
These are such good suggestions, I thank you for that.

I want to tell the story, but the magazine seems to send a 'reporter' freelancer immediately when someone submits an idea. That is not good business. I wrote MY story about ME, and I don't even think a freelancer could convey thoughts and feelings as to what I've been through with my illness.

I may submit my article(s), yet hesitant at the same time. Maybe their policy is only professional written stories.

Thanks