Who Gets Off For Columbus Day, anyway?

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I was a kid, I went to school on Columbus Day. No one had it off. Then, I noticed my little brother got it off years later. Then, I noticed that lots and lots of municipal workers got off (my company deals with lots of municipalities). Now, the Post Office is closed? Is this one of those days where our public servants get to lord their special status which entitles them to extra days off that no one else get over the rest off us? I don't like it.

So, who's got off and who has to work?

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I worked for a City in Arizona. We never had today off. The reason for that, apparently, is because employees get the Friday after Thanksgiving off instead.

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
I not only have off on Columbus day, I also have off on Leif Ericcson Day, Vasco Da Gama Day, and a host of other maritime explorer-themed holidays.

But I'm a freelancer, so I have a lot of flexibility. ;)

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California between the Desert and the Mou
Website
www.facebook.com
What? Lording their 'special status'? I guess I'm not getting where a day off is lording anything. I'd be interested in knowing why you think this is somehow unfair.

Oh, and the military bases are business as usual around here and the kids are in school. No mail however... and I'm not torqued up about it.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm at work - But (obviously) I'm goofing off. ;)

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What? Lording their 'special status'? I guess I'm not getting where a day off is lording anything. I'd be interested in knowing why you think this is somehow unfair.

Oh, and the military bases are business as usual around here and the kids are in school. No mail however... and I'm not torqued up about it.

Okay, I've already copped to being wrong...but around here, there are lots of holidays that the municipalities take off that the rest of the working world doesn't. For example most non-governmental companies we (my large-ish regional small business) deal with don't get off for Veterans Day, Presidents Day, Valentine's Day, oh and for Presidents Day they also take off for Washington's and Lincoln's birthdays too...there are a few others...but really Columbus Day? We don't get any of those off.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
I'm off and I work for a bank...yay Columbus Day!!! Yay any Monday holiday :) The kids around here go to school though. Except my brother who is in parochial school, he's off.

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California between the Desert and the Mou
Website
www.facebook.com
I always figured there were a certain number of 'extra' vacation days, so companies picked and chose whichever fit in best. I also don't remember us not getting mail on Columbus Day before so, I'm kind of thinking it's a budget cut thing. The woman who delivers the mail out at my parent's house doesn't get paid for off days and my buddy who works for the county doesn't work on Fridays anymore. Maybe this is a way to save money.

Sorry if I sounded aggressive. I've had a huge cup of coffee and I'm kind of running fast this morning.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Our schools are in session around here. My cousin lived in an area with a higher concentration of Jewish people and had a lot of days off school that I never did. My husband works Labor Day, Memorial Day, Thanksgiving, the day after Thanksgiving, Good Friday, and just about every holiday but Christmas... because he works in retail (and no one wants to give up their ability to shop on the holidays.)

Seems to me, most of us would love to have extra time off, but are rather jealous of those who do have it and often demand equality in that none of us should have it. (Look at the complaints against teachers and their "six" hour work day, with weekends and summers "off".)

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Seems to me, most of us would love to have extra time off, but are rather jealous of those who do have it and often demand equality in that none of us should have it. (Look at the complaints against teachers and their "six" hour work day, with weekends and summers "off".)

You're probably right, Clair. But, I would never trade my 10-12 hour days, all year, with a teacher. Teaching is too hard. Give the school teachers off anyday they want off, as long as I don't have to teach the little monsters...

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Our post office has it off which seems like a first but I could have just convienently forgotten about it. I'm just miffed this year because they're holding my vanilla beans hostage until Tuesday. They refused any packages Saturday because Monday would be their holiday so I've had to wait an extra three days for it to come when I could have had it Saturday if Monday hadn't been a holiday.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Wish I could have worked where they had Valentines day off......lol

Oh, wait....I am retired...so I have everyday off. (Even if I don't get off anymore...):evil

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
I not only have off on Columbus day, I also have off on Leif Ericcson Day, Vasco Da Gama Day, and a host of other maritime explorer-themed holidays.

i'm not off today but along a similar vein we are off on leif garrett day.

ChronicSelfEditor

F.K.A. NolaBlue
Registered
Reaction score
I don't ever remember having the day off in school and the only reason that I even remember this day exists is because my grandmother's birthday was right near Columbus Day.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving to our Canadian friends (who stole our holiday and moved it to earlier in the year, so it would look like they came up with it first)! Do you guys eat Turkey and pay football (wrongly) on your Thanksgiving Day?

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I think if you work for the feds, you are off. That doesn't count for military or police. Also, its a holiday so unions may have the day off, depending on your contract. I think those things are negotiated with an eye towards spreading the days off.

I have today off. When you think about it, that's the important thing!!

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Is this one of those days where our public servants get to lord their special status which entitles them to extra days off that no one else get over the rest off us? I don't like it.

So, who's got off and who has to work?

I'm off, and I'm not lording anything over anyone.