PDA

View Full Version : Who Gets Off For Columbus Day, anyway?

Diana Hignutt
10-11-2010, 09:26 PM
When I was a kid, I went to school on Columbus Day. No one had it off. Then, I noticed my little brother got it off years later. Then, I noticed that lots and lots of municipal workers got off (my company deals with lots of municipalities). Now, the Post Office is closed? Is this one of those days where our public servants get to lord their special status which entitles them to extra days off that no one else get over the rest off us? I don't like it.

So, who's got off and who has to work?

Shadow_Ferret
10-11-2010, 09:28 PM
I'm off.

Diana Hignutt
10-11-2010, 09:32 PM
I'm off.

And you don't work for the government. Oh well, it was a good theory for a second there....

firedrake
10-11-2010, 09:36 PM
I worked for a City in Arizona. We never had today off. The reason for that, apparently, is because employees get the Friday after Thanksgiving off instead.

Michael Wolfe
10-11-2010, 09:36 PM
I not only have off on Columbus day, I also have off on Leif Ericcson Day, Vasco Da Gama Day, and a host of other maritime explorer-themed holidays.

But I'm a freelancer, so I have a lot of flexibility. ;)

tiny
10-11-2010, 09:38 PM
What? Lording their 'special status'? I guess I'm not getting where a day off is lording anything. I'd be interested in knowing why you think this is somehow unfair.

Oh, and the military bases are business as usual around here and the kids are in school. No mail however... and I'm not torqued up about it.

Lavern08
10-11-2010, 09:38 PM
I'm at work - But (obviously) I'm goofing off. ;)

Diana Hignutt
10-11-2010, 09:44 PM
What? Lording their 'special status'? I guess I'm not getting where a day off is lording anything. I'd be interested in knowing why you think this is somehow unfair.

Oh, and the military bases are business as usual around here and the kids are in school. No mail however... and I'm not torqued up about it.

Okay, I've already copped to being wrong...but around here, there are lots of holidays that the municipalities take off that the rest of the working world doesn't. For example most non-governmental companies we (my large-ish regional small business) deal with don't get off for Veterans Day, Presidents Day, Valentine's Day, oh and for Presidents Day they also take off for Washington's and Lincoln's birthdays too...there are a few others...but really Columbus Day? We don't get any of those off.

Gretad08
10-11-2010, 09:48 PM
I'm off and I work for a bank...yay Columbus Day!!! Yay any Monday holiday :) The kids around here go to school though. Except my brother who is in parochial school, he's off.

tiny
10-11-2010, 09:49 PM
I always figured there were a certain number of 'extra' vacation days, so companies picked and chose whichever fit in best. I also don't remember us not getting mail on Columbus Day before so, I'm kind of thinking it's a budget cut thing. The woman who delivers the mail out at my parent's house doesn't get paid for off days and my buddy who works for the county doesn't work on Fridays anymore. Maybe this is a way to save money.

Sorry if I sounded aggressive. I've had a huge cup of coffee and I'm kind of running fast this morning.

quickWit
10-11-2010, 09:50 PM
While I don't get off, I do enjoy it, and stuff.

Clair Dickson
10-11-2010, 10:00 PM
Our schools are in session around here. My cousin lived in an area with a higher concentration of Jewish people and had a lot of days off school that I never did. My husband works Labor Day, Memorial Day, Thanksgiving, the day after Thanksgiving, Good Friday, and just about every holiday but Christmas... because he works in retail (and no one wants to give up their ability to shop on the holidays.)

Seems to me, most of us would love to have extra time off, but are rather jealous of those who do have it and often demand equality in that none of us should have it. (Look at the complaints against teachers and their "six" hour work day, with weekends and summers "off".)

Diana Hignutt
10-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Seems to me, most of us would love to have extra time off, but are rather jealous of those who do have it and often demand equality in that none of us should have it. (Look at the complaints against teachers and their "six" hour work day, with weekends and summers "off".)

You're probably right, Clair. But, I would never trade my 10-12 hour days, all year, with a teacher. Teaching is too hard. Give the school teachers off anyday they want off, as long as I don't have to teach the little monsters...

Xelebes
10-11-2010, 10:08 PM
Today is Thanksgiving here. My family has it off. :)

icerose
10-11-2010, 10:14 PM
Our post office has it off which seems like a first but I could have just convienently forgotten about it. I'm just miffed this year because they're holding my vanilla beans hostage until Tuesday. They refused any packages Saturday because Monday would be their holiday so I've had to wait an extra three days for it to come when I could have had it Saturday if Monday hadn't been a holiday.

CACTUSWENDY
10-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Wish I could have worked where they had Valentines day off......lol

Oh, wait....I am retired...so I have everyday off. (Even if I don't get off anymore...):evil

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-11-2010, 10:33 PM
I'm off... and to make it even sweeter, my #1 client is currently in my backyard with one of his employees and Ol' Boy building my new deck.

cray
10-11-2010, 10:37 PM
I not only have off on Columbus day, I also have off on Leif Ericcson Day, Vasco Da Gama Day, and a host of other maritime explorer-themed holidays.

i'm not off today but along a similar vein we are off on leif garrett day.

Maxinquaye
10-11-2010, 10:40 PM
I'm not getting off today, but the night is still young...

ChronicSelfEditor
10-11-2010, 10:43 PM
I don't ever remember having the day off in school and the only reason that I even remember this day exists is because my grandmother's birthday was right near Columbus Day.

Diana Hignutt
10-11-2010, 10:43 PM
Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving to our Canadian friends (who stole our holiday and moved it to earlier in the year, so it would look like they came up with it first)! Do you guys eat Turkey and pay football (wrongly) on your Thanksgiving Day?

Vince524
10-11-2010, 10:45 PM
I think if you work for the feds, you are off. That doesn't count for military or police. Also, its a holiday so unions may have the day off, depending on your contract. I think those things are negotiated with an eye towards spreading the days off.

I have today off. When you think about it, that's the important thing!!

Rowan
10-11-2010, 10:57 PM
Is this one of those days where our public servants get to lord their special status which entitles them to extra days off that no one else get over the rest off us? I don't like it.

So, who's got off and who has to work?

I'm off, and I'm not lording anything over anyone.

Shadow_Ferret
10-11-2010, 11:13 PM
And you don't work for the government. Oh well, it was a good theory for a second there....

Technically, I'm unemployed. But I start my new job tomorrow, in Federal Government. So I'm assuming I'm not starting today because it's a Holiday.

Rowan
10-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Technically, I'm unemployed. But I start my new job tomorrow, in Federal Government. So I'm assuming I'm not starting today because it's a Holiday.

Congrats! :D

backslashbaby
10-11-2010, 11:57 PM
Happy Thanksgiving!

I've never had Columbus Day off, but I do get to hear a lot of angst from my brother around this time of year. Columbus Day, Thanksgiving. Apparently I'm supposed to scalp someone or something ;)

Watch out for who made that pumpkin pie. Just sayin' :D

Synonym
10-11-2010, 11:57 PM
I'm off, but that just means it'll take two long days to get caught back up. Minor holidays are not worth it, sometimes.

(work for the Post Office)

rhymegirl
10-12-2010, 12:04 AM
It's a holiday here and my hubby is home. My son has the day off from college.

But I'm a freelance writer with assignments so there's no rest for me! I've already visited a few places where I snapped some photos. It's a beautiful fall day here and it was great walking about.

Banks are closed and no mail delivery.

Vito
10-12-2010, 12:31 AM
Never could figure out why the U.S. celebrates Columbus Day. I mean, who gives a fuck about some city in Ohio? Might as well have Dayton Day, Toledo Day, and Akron Day too, while you're at it. :rant:

SPMiller
10-12-2010, 12:41 AM
I'm not sure why we even have a Columbus Day when Columbus wasn't the first person to find the Americas.

There were people there first, y'see. We call them American Indians. They got here first.

And from Europe, Leifr Eiriksson visited and (at least temporarily) settled the Americas about five centuries before Columbus.

Synonym
10-12-2010, 01:01 AM
Hot dog! We should change it to Native American Day. At least I'd have some sort of ancestral connection. I don't seem to have any Italian/Spanish blood. :(

maxmordon
10-12-2010, 01:30 AM
The doctor that was supposed to do surgery on me took the whole damn week off.

maxmordon
10-12-2010, 01:36 AM
Hot dog! We should change it to Native American Day. At least I'd have some sort of ancestral connection. I don't seem to have any Italian/Spanish blood. :(

Here it has changed over the years; when I was a kid, it was called The Crash of Two Worlds or Race Day (as its called in most Latin American countries), and now it's called The Indigenous Resistance Day, for some odd reason. To get away with all this fuzz, we simply say October 12th. Spain, on the other hand, calls it "Hispanicity Day".

What about a John Smith Day, Plymouth Day, Sir Walter Raleigh Day or something along those lines?

Anyway, you folks already have Thanksgiving, which pretty much celebrates the same thing (European settlement in the Americas) but with a far smaller scope.

Synonym
10-12-2010, 01:47 AM
Yeah, but we get to eat like pigs and blow our diets on Thanksgiving. And watch football. yay.

:D

benbradley
10-12-2010, 01:49 AM
We know the Post Office is closed, and we know it's a Government entity despite trying to give an imporession otherwise by running its website on a .com domain (see where http://usps.gov gets you to). But at least they post what days they close (big long URL, for some unknown reason) (http://faq.usps.com/eCustomer/iq/usps/request.do?session=%7B40cc0e20-d57c-11df-c932-000000000000%7D&event=3&status=close:%7B87beac30-c96a-11de-e420-000000000000%7D&forward=casefeedback&retMsg=Thank%20You%20for%20Submitting%20Your%20Fee dback&session=%7B40cc0e20-d57c-11df-c932-000000000000%7D&event=1&view%28%29=c%7B87beac30-c96a-11de-e420-000000000000%7D&objectId=&eksObjectId=&objectType=Case&isJumpEnabled=false&isContentJumpEnabled=false&vendorKey=&objTitle=&versionId=4802&searchProperties=type:natural&naturalAdvance=false&allStr=&phraseStr=&anyStr=&noneStr=&keywordStr=&tTitle=Customer%20Service&topicFromSub=&topicsORSubUrl=&report%280000%29=p%7Be4ae5a10-6973-11dd-e6c4-000000000000%7D&bcobjectId=%7Be4ae5a10-6973-11dd-e6c4-000000000000%7D&search=&topicAndSubtopic=About%20USPS$ALL#feedbackTop).

Why don't banks post what days they close on their websites?

???

Robin Bayne
10-12-2010, 01:49 AM
I work for a bank and we're closed today-- public schools are open.

(Ben, good question, I am going to suggest our webguy put holidays on our site!)

Synonym
10-12-2010, 01:50 AM
Ben. It's easy. If the Post Office is closed, so's the bank. See. Easy peasy. ;)

Vince524
10-12-2010, 01:53 AM
Yeah, but we get to eat like pigs and blow our diets on Thanksgiving. And watch football. yay.

:D

I protest this!!!!!! I feel it is.... well something bad!!!!! Therefore I hereby announce that I will not take one single day to blow my diet and watch football!!! I will do that every day!!!!!

:e2cookie:

Dinner will be served at 6pm. Chicken Marsala with stuffed mushrooms and some sort of veggies on the side since I have kids. Hand me the remote, there must be a game on somewhere!!!

:nothing

Synonym
10-12-2010, 01:59 AM
Every day? I'd never make it out of the kitchen. LOL

kuwisdelu
10-12-2010, 02:07 AM
We don't have classes today or tomorrow. It's "October Break" though, so we might have had it regardless of this Columbus dude.

I'm not sure why we even have a Columbus Day when Columbus wasn't the first person to find the Americas.

There were people there first, y'see. We call them American Indians. They got here first.

And from Europe, Leifr Eiriksson visited and (at least temporarily) settled the Americas about five centuries before Columbus.

:e2headban

Alan Yee
10-12-2010, 10:20 AM
No Columbus Day off here at my college. Just as well, anyway. I'm not really fond of dudes who took land from other people (who had lived there for thousands of years) and contributed to the annihilation of extremely high numbers of said people.

frimble3
10-12-2010, 11:05 AM
Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving to our Canadian friends (who stole our holiday and moved it to earlier in the year, so it would look like they came up with it first)! Do you guys eat Turkey and pay football (wrongly) on your Thanksgiving Day?

We didn't move the holiday to earlier in the year so it would look like we came up with it first, we moved it so that the two annual turkey feasts would be better distributed. Turkey tastes better if you haven't just had a turkey.
Also, it gives whoever is the traditional turkey-cook in your household a bit of a breather.
Canadian football, not so much of a tradition, because it's the start of HOCKEY SEASON! :hooray::snoopy::partyguy:
Indeed, one game in, and my team had already lost, but hey, the season is young - plenty of time to get used to defeat.

not_HarryS
10-12-2010, 01:26 PM
I totally get off on Columbus Day. What a freakin' sexy holiday, if I do say so myself. In fact, I'd get off on Columbus himself if that ol' bag-o'-bones was willin'.

night-flyer
10-12-2010, 01:37 PM
I'm off today, but not because it's Columbus Day. Just because it's my day off. I work at a drugstore, we don't get Christmas, or Thanksgiving off either. We never close for any holiday. :(

Diana Hignutt
10-12-2010, 03:26 PM
I'm off today, but not because it's Columbus Day. Just because it's my day off. I work at a drugstore, we don't get Christmas, or Thanksgiving off either. We never close for any holiday. :(

that just sucks...