Is this allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlee

Sometimes I have no Y
Registered
Reaction score
I spotted something and I've never seen it before and I'm wondering if it's actually allowed... I'll explain.

I have a really good memory which is great but is a bit of a pain because I can't read books again (unless I really love them) because I remember every word! I tend to get through about a book every two days, so wondering around Waterstones looking for my next fix and I saw a new release by an irish author I've never read before.

So I took the book and read it that night, thing is while reading I kept having the feeling I'd read it before then after reading one page that I knew I'd seen before, it clicked and I realised this book had taken paragraphs, jokes and whole conversations from someone else. I checked it and it is the same word for word, not all the way through but huge chunks of it.

The first author wrote this stuff about 10 years ago and she is American and this new author is irish. It's strange because she has taken things word for word, for example the girls in her story are irish, so they see people, they go out with people and they knock about with people. because the original author is american her characters 'date' (as in a verb) for most of the book you don't see the word 'date' until you come to the copied bit where suddenly the characters are talking about dating!

It really bugged me because like i said I remember everything and it was not an enjoyable read, I'm just wondering if this is acceptable practice, she hasn't copied everything and her story line is different is this something that is just done and I've never come across it before?

Last edited:

Sentosa

Banned
Reaction score
For starters it's likely to be illegal with every chance the original author could successfully sue for breach of copyright -- unless, of course the original work is out of copyright.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Are you sure? I know it's a stupid question.

Also, can you provide any more details?

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
If this is true, the second writer plagiarized the first and you should let the publisher of the first book know; better yet, let the writer know if you can manage to find him/her, because if the first book is out of print, the publisher might not take the trouble to pass on that message.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I've certainly never seen this happen. but if you're positive and have both books to be able to prove it, I think you need to notify somebody. I'm not sure who, I guess like Barbara said, the publisher.

Rebekkamaria

Pixie with dust, beware
Registered
Reaction score
I'd inform all parties: the publisher, the author of the first book and the author of second book. After that, it's up to them.

ETA. I'd love to have your memory. Mine is horrible. And yeah, the situation is bad. But it happens. Oh, and you might want to check if someone has already done something about this. I've heard about a few similar situations

Last edited:

Ehab.Ahmed

Drifting Silently
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, what a great memory :) I wish I had one like that. See if the first book is out of copywrite or not, then see whom to contact based on that... that is, if you wanted to anything about it in the first place. But if your question is about whether copying is allowed or not, I guess the answer is obvious: no, it's not allowed :)

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
ETA. I'd love to have your memory. Mine is horrible.

So is mine. So many times, I'm halfway through a book before I realize I've read it before. It'll kind of feel like a dream sometimes, and then halfway through, I suddenly remember the ending. It isn't always a bad thing, but I don't always want to reread.

As for this situation, honestly, I'm shocked at everyone involved, other than the original author. I mean, I don't know how someone can live with false glory like that, live knowing they ripped someone else off. And how could the publishers and editors and agents...I mean, aren't they supposed to look into this stuff? I know there are a lot of books out there, but still...it just seems like this shouldn't happen outside of high school bullies and cheaters.

And even that shouldn't happen.

Charlee

Sometimes I have no Y
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't want to name, names in case I was saying bad things about a writer that had not done anything wrong.

I will have a quick scan in a bit put up some extracts from the book along side the orginals, I'm sure other people will recognise it also.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
If the words are exact, and the original's still protected by copyright, then it's illegal.

If the book's old enough to be Public Domain, then it's not.

There's a scene like in both Ivanhoe and Robin Hood that are almost identical (the archery contest, IIRC). It's obvious that the person who wrote the "first" novel account of Robin Hood lifted it from Ivanhoe, but as copyright wasn't an issue then, no one balked.

Just like the Thursday Next novels incorporate well established characters, themes, and situations, but they're all from works out of copyright.

Charlee

Sometimes I have no Y
Registered
Reaction score
My top tip is to destroy all photos of you as a couple where he looks hot and you look happy it could set the whole recovery process back months if you happen to stumble across it at a weak moment

compared to:
my top break up rule - destroy all pictures where he looks sexy and you look happy if you happen to stumble across it in a weak moment it coudl set the recovery process back by months

and:

I panic dated... then I panic married now I've met the one

compared to:

I panic dated, now I've panic married just before I met the one

and:

It's a huge mistake to think you can change a man, apart from clothes and hair that's it because mark my words once you pull at that thread the whole fabric falls apart

Compared to:

The only things you can work on are their hair and wardrobe.
-But even then, it's a constant battle...
Be careful with alterations. If you pull the wrong thread, everything falls apart.

This is a selection from about four pages of the book there is lots more... I'm not imagining this am I?

Charlee

Sometimes I have no Y
Registered
Reaction score
P.S: I love the Thursday Next books

TheWordsmith

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Illegal? When someone (I won't dignify it by calling him or her a writer) takes an author's work and knowingly uses it and presents it as their own work, this is outright plagiarism. That's theft and that is illegal. I don't know what the laws are in Ireland for such intellectual property theft but in America, the punishments can be quite harsh and deservedly so. Should the original author of the passages learn of the acts, she could file plagiarism charges in both United States and Ireland - leaving the thief to face charges on two continents. In fact, do all authors a favor and contact the injured author.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Yup. It should be reported.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
If I were the original author, I'd be grateful for the tip-off. Giving her a chance to defend her work is the right thing to do.

Charlee

Sometimes I have no Y
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just goggling looking for info

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
That doesn't sound at all right to me. I would certainly encourage you to report to the publishers, and if that gets no response, to send it to a good publishing website or post it online yourself.

Charlee

Sometimes I have no Y
Registered
Reaction score
I've sent emails to the two publishers I suppose that's all I can do.

I don't know how this could happen that book must have been read hundreds of times before it was published and no one noticed it's got all these nicked bits in it!

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Some of these (at least) are from Sex and the City. The thread one and the pictures one, anyway.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I don't know how this could happen that book must have been read hundreds of times before it was published and no one noticed it's got all these nicked bits in it!

Easy enough; unless the first book was a huge bestseller that every second person who doesn't live under a rock has read, the chances are low that anoyone would remember after ten years. Not everyone has your amazing memory!

I might remember plots that have been used before, but not words. Never words.

Recently I read a Dick Francis novel and I just "knew" I had read it before but I couldn''t believe it -- it was Silks, a new one written with his son Francis, and I was quite certain I would not have read it because I don't like his recent books, but when I kept "knowing" what was going to happen I realised I had indeed read it.

If it is genre fiction people wouldn't remember the actual sentences.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
If the publishers say nothing, you can always give it to Fandom Wank. They'll get it some attention quick enough...

Status
Not open for further replies.