PDA

View Full Version : Australian election: Oakeshott proposes unity cabinet

poetinahat
08-24-2010, 08:06 AM
Link here (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/08/24/2991520.htm).

Background: The governing Labour party rolled the Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd, a few months back, and put his 2IC, Julia Gillard, into the big chair. Australian elections are about every three years, but the sitting government calls the date. (Side note: The Economist doesn't appear to be too impressed (http://www.economist.com/node/16791926?story_id=16791926) with either candidate; in the print edition, an article referred this week to Gillard as "Labour's uninspiring candidate" and Tony Abbott, the Liberal, as "the Coalition's unappealing candidate". That's a pretty fair snapshot.)

On the premise, I suppose, of taking advantage of Gillard's honeymoon phase, the Government called an election, which took place last Saturday. The result: a hung Parliament; neither major party or coalition (Labour, or the Liberal/National Coalition) could form a majority, leaving the balance in the hands of the Greens and the independents; they're being heavily courted by both sides, of course.

So Oakeshott, an independent, has proposed a cooperative Cabinet.

I love that he's even countenanced the idea. I know there are arguments for and against it, but it's great to hear someone thinking this way, at least.

fredXgeorge
08-24-2010, 08:10 AM
So...there'd be no opposition?

poetinahat
08-24-2010, 08:17 AM
Maybe now this is when Natasha Stott-Despoja or Meg Lees rises from the political grave and brings back the Democrats...

fredXgeorge
08-24-2010, 08:25 AM
This whole thing is completely flipping my head out. Why couldn't I have an easy election for my first time?

blacbird
08-24-2010, 08:30 AM
I don't think I could vote for anybody named Oakeshott.

Or Huckabee.

poetinahat
08-24-2010, 08:43 AM
Those names Palin comparison to some others.

Albedo
08-24-2010, 10:23 AM
Hell, I'd support it.

I think that this election result could be the best thing that's happened to this country in decades. I've got a lot of respect for the independents even though I don't share a lot of their political convictions: Tony Windsor, especially, has always struck me as a person of fundamentally decent character, who has always been able to work with the parliament inside or outside the two-party system. He'd make a good speaker. And having a Green in the HoR finally gives some representation to what has indisputably become the third force in politics. Finally we might get some principled opposition to things like internet filtering from within the house of government.

Tony Windsor for Speaker, Julia Gillard for PM, Malcolm Turnbull for deputy PM, Kevin Rudd for foreign affairs, Adam Bandt for environment & science, Rob Oakeshott for communications & internet, Bob Katter as Minister for Porkbarrelling Far North Queensland. That's my ideal cabinet. :D

fredXgeorge
08-25-2010, 04:15 AM
Hell, I'd support it.

I think that this election result could be the best thing that's happened to this country in decades. I've got a lot of respect for the independents even though I don't share a lot of their political convictions: Tony Windsor, especially, has always struck me as a person of fundamentally decent character, who has always been able to work with the parliament inside or outside the two-party system. He'd make a good speaker. And having a Green in the HoR finally gives some representation to what has indisputably become the third force in politics. Finally we might get some principled opposition to things like internet filtering from within the house of government.

Tony Windsor for Speaker, Julia Gillard for PM, Malcolm Turnbull for deputy PM, Kevin Rudd for foreign affairs, Adam Bandt for environment & science, Rob Oakeshott for communications & internet, Bob Katter as Minister for Porkbarrelling Far North Queensland. That's my ideal cabinet. :D
Sounds good to me! In fact I'd say that's quite perfect.

Ruv Draba
08-25-2010, 02:27 PM
I think it's an interesting idea and I'd be disposed to supporting it depending on the details -- but I don't think it'd be either major party's first, second or third preference for forming government.

mccardey
08-25-2010, 03:04 PM
I'm loving Oakeshott and Windsor :)

I doubt the unity thing will work in the long run, but wouldn't it be great...?

Ruv Draba
08-25-2010, 03:13 PM
Tony Windsor could make a better party leader than either major party leader. Anyone who outright refuses a Speaker's chair and a Ministry position knows that it's his primary job to serve his electorate. :Thumbs:

Rufus Coppertop
08-26-2010, 07:18 AM
Libs and Labour in a coalition, let Brown and the independents form an opposition and let Barnaby Joyce drop dead.