PDA

View Full Version : Decaffeinated Coffee. One of the ultimate indications of Humanity's craziness?

Paul
08-18-2010, 07:22 PM
POLL ABOVE

Ran out and accidentally bought decaf coffee.

I mean really. what kinda of nonsense it decaf coffee?
Have people now convinced themselves they they like coffee because of its taste???

Is that how self-delusional Humanity has become?

To the point that we'll drink the bitter, bitter, brew convincing ourselves it's for the goddarn taste???

It's sad.

Sad.

EDIT: NOTE: UNACCEPTABLE POSTS INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING.
Er, well actually dude, not all coffees are like, bitter, you know? I get mine imported from the '****' plains of west Africa/ Arabia/ Brazil and like, you can actually taste the rich loamy soil and the soft vanilla flavouring infused from the wagbonga tree sap, plus its aged in 1000 year old oak caskets and like... etc etc

coffee is bitter, end of.

Button
08-18-2010, 07:23 PM
Ew. Coffee. >.> *runs away before anyone shoots her!*

tjwriter
08-18-2010, 07:27 PM
For some of us gestating and soon to be breastfeeding AWers, it's a wonderful alternative to loading the kid up with caffeine.

amlptj
08-18-2010, 07:28 PM
I competely agree with you. I only ever drink coffee for the caffine. I force down the horrible bitter crap coving it up with shit tons of sugar and chocolate syurp. Years and years of training my taste buds to like it and i would still never put my self through the torment of drinking it if i didnt need to stay up.

In fact i need coffee right now... Not for the oh so pleasent taste but to keep my motor skills fuctioning!

Paul
08-18-2010, 07:38 PM
For some of us gestating and soon to be breastfeeding AWers, it's a wonderful alternative to loading the kid up with caffeine.

But why? why suffer the bitter taste without the compensation of the caffeine kick?

WHYYYYYY??????

KellyAssauer
08-18-2010, 07:47 PM
You do realize that so-called "decaffeinated" coffee does not mean caffeine free? That decaf contains only a lower percentage of it's original caffeine prior to the decaffeinating process.

You get that...

Right?

amlptj
08-18-2010, 07:55 PM
I know that but again the only reason i drink it is to get the kick from the caffeine. Why drink it for any other reason? Taste? I dont see a point in decaf coffee if its got less of the one and only ingredient that makes it appealing.

Paul
08-18-2010, 08:03 PM
You do realize that so-called "decaffeinated" coffee does not mean caffeine free? That decaf contains only a lower percentage of it's original caffeine prior to the decaffeinating process.

You get that...

Right?

you going all legalese on my ass? Me? Without my Coffee!!!????

:D

em yes, I am aware, but generally that's 1 - 2 % of the original caffeine, which is = nil. (in caffeine addict terms)

Edit; Well can't write no more, must go back to the shop.

kayleamay
08-18-2010, 08:24 PM
If I'm going for a non-caffeinated beverage, I drink this stuff called water.

It's not bad, just a little on the bland side.

I have never had a cup of decaf in my life. Nor will I.

Adam
08-18-2010, 08:29 PM
My brother and mum drink decaf, because they like the taste of coffee, but don't want the caffeine. Not everyone finds the stuff foul.

Personally, I'd rather chew on the milk bottle than drink any form of coffee. ;)

petec
08-18-2010, 08:31 PM
I am French.

Paul
08-18-2010, 08:37 PM
I am French.

nuff said.

;)

kayleamay
08-18-2010, 08:39 PM
My mom used to drink Postum. I don't think they even make that stuff anymore. Blech.

kaitiepaige17
08-18-2010, 08:41 PM
I've never understood the point of decaf. I mean...really....

Kitty Pryde
08-18-2010, 08:45 PM
I once heard Letterman refer to decaf as "useless brown water" which I think is the perfect description.

I was chatting with an AWer who lives outside of the US and s/he did not realize that decaf coffee was a real thing, despite having read about it. S/he thought it was a joke, like dehydrated water :D

Maxinquaye
08-18-2010, 08:51 PM
I competely agree with you. I only ever drink coffee for the caffine. I force down the horrible bitter crap coving it up with shit tons of sugar and chocolate syurp. Years and years of training my taste buds to like it and i would still never put my self through the torment of drinking it if i didnt need to stay up.

In fact i need coffee right now... Not for the oh so pleasent taste but to keep my motor skills fuctioning!

Well, if the coffee is bitter crap, you're doing it wrong! But considering the coffee culture of the US.... *shiver* :D

But I agree with Paul. Decaf drinkers should be shot on sight. It's the humane thing to do.

Paul
08-18-2010, 10:14 PM
Well, if the coffee is bitter crap, you're doing it wrong! But considering the coffee culture of the US.... *shiver* :D

But I agree with Paul. Decaf drinkers should be shot on sight. It's the humane thing to do.

Well humane or not, it's the only honourable thing to do.

just to reiterate no 'my coffee's not bitter dude, it's like totally naturally sweet n stuff' posts are not allowed.

:whip:

brainstorm77
08-18-2010, 10:17 PM

You get that...

Right?
This. There is still a fair amount in it.

darkprincealain
08-18-2010, 10:24 PM
I think it's sort of silly to get so addicted to something, but I suppose wakefulness is in the eye of the person who has had enough caffeine.

Sophia
08-18-2010, 10:32 PM
just to reiterate no 'my coffee's not bitter dude, it's like totally naturally sweet n stuff' posts are not allowed.

Dude!

Milk! Sugar! Espresso machine with frother!

Cappuccino-liciousness to the max.

Black coffee, decaffeinated or not, is like Guinness or 95% Cocoa chocolate - instant mouth-twisting bitterness.

Paul
08-18-2010, 10:32 PM
I think it's sort of silly to get so addicted to something, but I suppose wakefulness is in the eye of the person who has had enough caffeine.

Yup.

silly.

Paul
08-18-2010, 10:34 PM
Dude!

Milk! Sugar! Espresso machine with frother!

Cappuccino-liciousness to the max.

Black coffee is like Guiness or 95% Cocoa chocolate - instant mouth-twisting bitterness.

Exactly!

Coffee = bitter, end of. We have to add sweetner/ milk etc to make it barable and why? FOR THE CAFFEINE!!!

SO WHY DRINK DECAF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

amlptj
08-18-2010, 10:35 PM
I once heard Letterman refer to decaf as "useless brown water" which I think is the perfect description.

I was chatting with an AWer who lives outside of the US and s/he did not realize that decaf coffee was a real thing, despite having read about it. S/he thought it was a joke, like dehydrated water :D

Useless brown water is completely right! It should be a joke!

I used to work in my church rectory and every evening the priests would have decaf coffee after their dinner. I finally asked one why? He looked at me completely puzzled and finally said "It tastes horrible,and smells... I guess because its warm?" A few days after that they swiched to decaf tea! Simply because it tasted better. There really is no purpose for decaf coffee.

Charles Farley
08-18-2010, 10:45 PM
Not to derail but . . can anyone explain non-Alcoholic beer?

I mean seriously . . .

Paul
08-18-2010, 10:46 PM
Just to clarify the subtext of my point.

NO ONE.
NO ONE, DRINKS DECAF COFFEE UNLESS THEY HAD PREVIOUSLY DRANK REAL COFFEE.

everyone getting the subtext there?
now that's addiction at its most subtle.

Sheila Muirenn
08-18-2010, 10:51 PM

You get that...

Right?

A wonderful Spanish lady I work with gave me some whole bean Torrefacto coffee. OMG. I made it in the French Press and I'm in heaven. Heaven! Have a chilled jug of it on my desk right this moment!

True, coffee is bitter. But you develop a taste for it, and the less bitter tastes bland.

Torrefacto puts regular espresso roast to shame.

Long live bitter coffee! Yea!

Say yes to extra caffinated strong brewed grows hair-on-your-chest coffee syrup!

:)

Kitty Pryde
08-19-2010, 12:08 AM
I live on Kona-blends

and have forgotten what bitter is. =)

*makes a note of it for her visit to the coffee shop to buy fresh grounds*

My folks visited actual Kona this Spring and bought the 100% Kona coffee (they are crazy coffee addicts) but they found it to taste pretty much like other coffee.

Jess Haines
08-19-2010, 12:30 AM
I am French.

Wins the thread.

Satori1977
08-19-2010, 12:55 AM
:Coffee: Mmmmm, coffee. I like the taste of coffee. After I put about 6-8 spoonfuls of sugar in it and my caramel vanilla creamer.

I do admit to being a caffeine addict, and take it in coffee or soda. I do need it to wake up in the morning. I will drink it without creamer if I have enough sugar, but if I don't have either, I will pop open a Coke.

My Mom drinks it black...that I don't understand. I can't do it.

backslashbaby
08-19-2010, 01:16 AM
It's Pavlovian conditioning, I think. I drink decaf if I have to, and I love the taste of coffee, including decaf. If I smell any of it, someone may as well be ringing a bell to watch me drool.

Give me decaf 3 meals in a row and then you'll regret it, though ;)

<------ I'm even drinking coffee in my frickin avatar :D

sassandgroove
08-19-2010, 01:53 AM
I drink Decaf at night in winter. I had some the other night because I made pancakes for dinner. But I don't drink black coffee, I put creamer and sweetner. My excuse is habit.

I won't say that if you brew it right it isn't bitter...as those posts aren't allowed.

Satori1977
08-19-2010, 01:56 AM
It's Pavlovian conditioning, I think. I drink decaf if I have to, and I love the taste of coffee, including decaf. If I smell any of it, someone may as well be ringing a bell to watch me drool.

Give me decaf 3 meals in a row and then you'll regret it, though ;)

Now I adore the smell of coffee. Even if I don't want or need it (like night time), if I smell it, I will drink some.

Paul
08-19-2010, 01:59 AM
I drink Decaf at night in winter. I had some the other night because I made pancakes for dinner. But I don't drink black coffee, I put creamer and sweetner. My excuse is habit.

I won't say that if you brew it right it isn't bitter...as those posts aren't allowed.

Dats righ.
not allowed.

tjwriter
08-19-2010, 02:10 AM
But why? why suffer the bitter taste without the compensation of the caffeine kick?

WHYYYYYY??????

I always cream and sugar mine, but part of it is habit. Right now, in pregnancy I still have some caffeine, but I've cut back. I still enjoy coffee. Part of that is conditioning. Nothing wakes me up better than a hot cup of coffee, and I'll take it any way I can get it.

KellyAssauer
08-19-2010, 03:51 AM
I remember stopping at this tiny little A&P: Christmas break, cold, snow on the roads. My friend Chris drove. He had a red jeep then with the canvas top and those plastic windows. We stopped because his girlfriends' Mom asked him to pick up coffee. He bought the Eight 'o Clock kind and ground the beans there in the store aisle. Then we headed out: twenty two miles in the West Virginia woods. The sun set as he drove. The little squarish bag of coffee sat at my feet, near where the heater blew a constant warm air.

When we finally got there, and inside. The Mom asked if we wanted anything... we each looked at each other and said "coffee?" in unison. =) One of the best cups ever!

KTC
08-19-2010, 03:56 AM
yeah...give me a drug that doesn't hit the g-spot of my addiction.

Der.

decaf is like a clown without clown hair

Paul
08-19-2010, 04:02 AM
I remember stopping at this tiny little A&P: Christmas break, cold, snow on the roads. My friend Chris drove. He had a red jeep then with the canvas top and those plastic windows. We stopped because his girlfriends' Mom asked him to pick up coffee. He bought the Eight 'o Clock kind and ground the beans there in the store aisle. Then we headed out: twenty two miles in the West Virginia woods. The sun set as he drove. The little squarish bag of coffee sat at my feet, near where the heater blew a constant warm air.

When we finally got there, and inside. The Mom asked if we wanted anything... we each looked at each other and said "coffee?" in unison. =) One of the best cups ever!

I think I just spoiled my undies.

Jersey Chick
08-19-2010, 04:06 AM
:Coffee: Mmmmm, coffee. I like the taste of coffee. After I put about 6-8 spoonfuls of sugar in it and my caramel vanilla creamer.

I do admit to being a caffeine addict, and take it in coffee or soda. I do need it to wake up in the morning. I will drink it without creamer if I have enough sugar, but if I don't have either, I will pop open a Coke.

My Mom drinks it black...that I don't understand. I can't do it.
This post made all my teeth hurt at once. :D

I drink decaf after dinner - I like relaxing with my after dinner coffee. Used to go great with my cigarette, but since I quit smoking... (As a matter of fact, I'm enjoying it right now. :D)

I can't function w/out my fully-leaded version in the morning though.

And someone upthread mentioned chilled coffee... someone explain this to me. Cold coffee??????? I throw that out. :D

rhymegirl
08-19-2010, 04:12 AM
Well, I really like coffee. My husband insists on having the kind with caffeine or else he can't wake up in the morning.

But I'm supposed to have decaf because of my fibrocystic breast problem (caffeine makes them hurt like crazy). My doctor actually wants me to give up coffee altogether but that's not happening.

I think I will have to buy a can of decaf ground coffee and dump it into the empty caffeinated coffee so he won't know he is drinking decaf.

Jersey Chick
08-19-2010, 04:18 AM
Heh - my husband bought decaf by mistake once (at least, he claims it was by mistake) and I didn't realize it. By about noon that first day, I felt all out of sorts and evil - then I happened to go into the pantry for something and saw the can.

And it all made sense.

Now I buy the coffee. :D

Paul
08-19-2010, 04:19 AM
Well, I really like coffee. My husband insists on having the kind with caffeine or else he can't wake up in the morning.

But I'm supposed to have decaf because of my fibrocystic breast problem (caffeine makes them hurt like crazy). My doctor actually wants me to give up coffee altogether but that's not happening.

Em, but you already have! ;) (sorry to hear that.)

I think I will have to buy a can of decaf ground coffee and dump it into the empty caffeinated coffee so he won't know he is drinking decaf.

No, but you'll know, when he starts chewing on the chair legs and wonders why. hehehe

Cella
08-19-2010, 04:26 AM
I like decaf. And herbal tea.

*dodges tomatoes*

Paul
08-19-2010, 04:30 AM
Yup, some one hadda come straight out n say it. And without shame, neither.

I also notice a lot of 'kindness' towards these heretics - 7, pity calls, tut tut.

Cella
08-19-2010, 04:38 AM
Kindness..

As in "shot on sight" ? LoL...

(or was it 'site'? I don't recall)

I have a gun myself, btw. Just in case anyone gets any ideas...

Kitty Pryde
08-19-2010, 04:38 AM
Ice coffee is pretty good. Apparently there is a fancy way to cold brew it (or something) although sometimes I just put regular coffee in the fridge and then pour it over ice with milk. MMM

Paul
08-19-2010, 04:43 AM
I have a gun myself, btw. Just in case anyone gets any ideas...

em, hey ,look, I mean I'm just sayin, I mean it's not that I personally believe they should, em, be shot per se, em well not without ,you know, due process, em - and hey we live in a democracy right, so em, if you wanna put down that pistol for a moment...

Well I'm off to bed, to dream of certain gun toting cuties... bye for now. :)

Cliff Face
08-19-2010, 05:53 AM
If I wanted caffeine I'd drink a Red Bull. If I want a sophisticated hot beverage that tastes great, I go for a coffee.

I know I'm not allowed to say this, but I don't think coffee tastes bad. I've had it without sugar before (though still with milk) and it was then a little bitter, but I loved it so.

What - next you're going to tell me I'm not allowed to think cigarettes taste good?

Bah, I say. Bah!

Shadow_Ferret
08-19-2010, 06:00 AM
I mean really. what kinda of nonsense it decaf coffee?
Have people now convinced themselves they they like coffee because of its taste???

I drink coffee for the taste. The stronger the better. No cream. No sugar. Straight up from my French Press.

If I didn't like the taste of coffee I'd probably drink something noxious like tea. Or soda.

And I like to drink coffee most of the day, but my stomach doesn't like me drinking it all day long. That's why there's decaf. So I can have the taste of coffee without my stomach trying to digest itself.

joyce
08-19-2010, 06:06 AM
My mom used to drink Postum. I don't think they even make that stuff anymore. Blech.

I haven't seen that stuff in quite a few years. I remember when I was a kid I used to think it was coffee made out of a possum. I would never let the stuff touch my lips just because of its name. Yes.....a southern girl here that knows many things can be made from a possum.

I didn't drink coffee until about ten years ago. I always loved the smell though. I can't stand the instant crap and if I drink it at all it's got to be fresh brewed. I like the chocolate flavored kind. I have a coffee in the morning with a coke chaser.

Cliff Face
08-19-2010, 06:10 AM
I had my first coffee at 16. Parents wouldn't let me try it before then.

Instantly loved the taste.

Shadow_Ferret
08-19-2010, 06:16 AM

I tried that. It wasn't bad. Made of barley or something. I had to check to see if they still made it, but it was discontinued in 2007.

Cliff Face
08-19-2010, 06:38 AM
Never even heard of Potsum. Must be an American thing...

Shadow_Ferret
08-19-2010, 06:53 AM
Made by Kraft. Although Nestle's is supposed to make something similar called Caro, which is available in Germany, the UK, and New Zealand. There's also something out of Switzerland called Pero.

Cliff Face
08-19-2010, 07:17 AM
Hmm... we have Kraft and Nestle here in Australia... just never heard of that stuff. *shrug*

darkprincealain
08-19-2010, 07:27 AM
I live in America and I've never heard of either of those. It must be a regional thing.

Raindrop
08-19-2010, 09:01 AM
Caro is similar to chicory coffee, if I'm correct. I saw some on the shelves yesterday, but I went with straight chicory. I switch to it when I'm twitchy from too much coffee.

Also, THE g-spot coffee? Black espresso, without sugar, thank you very much. Rawr.

Paul
08-19-2010, 12:19 PM
If I wanted caffeine I'd drink a Red Bull. If I want a sophisticated hot beverage that tastes great, I go for a coffee.

I know I'm not allowed to say this, but I don't think coffee tastes bad. I've had it without sugar before (though still with milk) and it was then a little bitter, but I loved it so.

What - next you're going to tell me I'm not allowed to think cigarettes taste good?

Bah, I say. Bah!

from wiki
Coffee was initially used for spiritual reasons. At least 1,100 years ago, traders brought coffee across the Red Sea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Sea) into Arabia (modern-day Yemen), where Muslim monks began cultivating the shrub in their gardens. At first, the Arabians made wine from the pulp of the fermented coffee berries. This beverage was known as qishr (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qishr) (kisher (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Kisher&action=edit&redlink=1) in modern usage) and was used during religious ceremonies.[136] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee#cite_note-Pendergrast5-138)

Its early association in Europe with rebellious political activities led to Charles II (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_II_of_England) outlawing coffeehouses from January 1676 (although the uproar created forced the monarch to back down two days before the ban was due to come into force).[116] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee#cite_note-Pendergrast13-118) Frederick the Great (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_II_of_Prussia) banned it in Germany in 1777 for nationalistic and economic reasons; concerned about the money leaving to country on the popular beverage, he sought to force the public back to consuming beer.[138] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee#cite_note-Pendergrast11-140)

now that's my kinda emperor...

Cliff Face
08-19-2010, 01:30 PM
Actually, I think I prefer coffee over beer.

Well, it depends on the day. If it's a typical Australian summer's day, then a nice cold beer is muchly appreciated. But for the taste, coffee all the way.

Neither really affect my senses or hyperness or drunkenness unless I drink about 8 of them in 4 hours.

But that's the price you pay for drinking so many of them over the years - desensitized to the max.

Seb
08-19-2010, 03:24 PM
I drink coffee for the taste. The stronger the better. No cream. No sugar. Straight up from my French Press..

Hurrah:snoopy:! There's someone else. It's gotta be 'high octane' before 2pm, then 'unleaded' after, or I don't sleep a wink :Coffee:. Of course, the real problem is instant coffee...

Cliff Face
08-19-2010, 04:19 PM
Instant coffee is to caffe latte what rolling your own cigarettes is to tailor-mades. An acceptable substitution when you can't get the real thing, but damned if I'd prefer it.

sassandgroove
08-19-2010, 06:10 PM

That would be evil beyond compare. If he is used to caffeine everyday, and drinkds decaff unknowingly, he could get a massive headache. Believe me, I know of what I soeak. If you love your husband do not do that. And I am not jesting. I had a headache for three days becuase I was sick and drinking tea which I thought had caffiene but didn't.

tjwriter
08-19-2010, 06:32 PM
Caffeine withdrawal is a b!tch to deal with. The better way is to start mixing regular and decaf and slowly increase the proportion of decaf to regular until you eliminate the regular all together.

Satori1977
08-19-2010, 08:23 PM
I always cream and sugar mine, but part of it is habit. Right now, in pregnancy I still have some caffeine, but I've cut back. I still enjoy coffee. Part of that is conditioning. Nothing wakes me up better than a hot cup of coffee, and I'll take it any way I can get it.

Probably the hardest part of being pregnant for me was cutting back on caffeine. I did, but it about killed me!

Satori1977
08-19-2010, 08:24 PM
This post made all my teeth hurt at once. :D

I drink decaf after dinner - I like relaxing with my after dinner coffee. Used to go great with my cigarette, but since I quit smoking... (As a matter of fact, I'm enjoying it right now. :D)

I can't function w/out my fully-leaded version in the morning though.

And someone upthread mentioned chilled coffee... someone explain this to me. Cold coffee??????? I throw that out. :D

LOL, sorry. And I love iced coffee in the summer. Iced caramel latte, YUM.

Satori1977
08-19-2010, 08:26 PM
Never even heard of Potsum. Must be an American thing...

I'm American, never head of Potsum.

shyne
08-19-2010, 08:27 PM
Tried it once when I was eight. I prepared it while the parental unit was away. Blacked out and when I came to I was in a corner, clutching half and half in one hand, sugar in the other; alternated pouring them onto each of my big toes.

honeysock
08-19-2010, 08:38 PM
I had a love affair with coffee going on nigh 34 years. I respected it, savored it, drank it in all forms (espresso, iced, lukewarm, other people's leftovers), took it with me everywhere, 24/7. At home I had a special slow-extraction device for my refrigerator to make coffee concentrate. In addition to a standard drip coffee-maker, I also owned an espresso machine, an old-fashioned percolator (oh the heavenly smell!), three European-style stove-top coffee makers (they're small), and a giant coffee dispenser for parties.

I devoted most of my life to coffee, and it was good to me. Until . . .

My body betrayed me. Now, I cannot tolerate any caffeine. I can't even drink decaf (I tried, I really really tried!) So I have woefully replaced coffee with weak herb tea.

I loved coffee and I will always miss coffee. Those of you who drink it for the caffeine without appreciating all its other wonderful qualities . . . well, I will refrain from name-calling here, but you are not welcome in my home.

Icedevimon
08-19-2010, 09:13 PM
I actually do like the taste of black coffee, but I know I'm in the minority! lol

Anything I drink has to be decaff. If I have too much caffeine, I get heart palpitations, which not only keep me up all night, but also are rather uncomfortable and make me somewhat zombie like, what with the random beating of the heart and the jolt of panic it gives you.

So yeah, if I have soda, it has to be decaff, and if I have coffee, it has to be decaff, and if I have tea, it has to be decaff. Water is fine and all, but there's a reason for all the different flavors of stuff out on the market :P I like some variety in taste.

backslashbaby
08-19-2010, 09:15 PM
^^^ So true. I have an ulcer now and am not supposed to drink coffee for a while.

The withdrawal headache? Man, I first had that after wisdom teeth surgery, and I didn't realize there was this whole withdrawal thing. The headache was amazing and constant (and I get migraines). The doc thought I was allergic to the pain meds. I finally had some coffee and it went away, easy as you please. I had no idea it was such a big deal.

darkprincealain
08-19-2010, 09:47 PM
I just like it to taste like something. If it tastes like water, you've got a big problem.

*coughWendy'scough*

Paul
08-19-2010, 10:35 PM
I feel I need to clarify Paul's position on this whole issue.

It is true, yes, that one may grow accustomed to the taste of coffee - even to the point of not using a sweetener (which includes milk) IOW the Humphrey Bogart drinker.

But my dear, dear people, we do so only to get that caffeine into our bloodstream.

Think back dear friends, to the first time you tasted the demon brew.
Can you remember?
Do you see it in your mind?
Good.
It was 'ucky' at best. But the grown ups were drinking it, so....

Then with practice you grew accustomed to it (with a few brave souls going commando), finally reaching a relationship with it in college/work or similar.
And you kept going, the more determined of you, that is.

And why?
Why, my dear friends, why?

Can you guess?

That's right, the nicotine caffeine. THE CAFFEINE.

not the taste, (though now it's a 'hazelnut, oak aged, hint of the forest, crushed by ancient stones, roasted under the midnight glow of mount ****, filtered through hand made filters', experience of course.) but the caffeine.

With me so far? Good.

And then came Decaf.

Now, load them shotguns up and lets go a huntin.

Sheila Muirenn
08-19-2010, 11:16 PM

Chilled: take cup, fill with very stong coffee, put in fridge, let temperature drop, remove, drink.

Or, pilfer a cup from yesterday's pot at work.

Both good options.

Medievalist
08-19-2010, 11:22 PM
I like good decaf, sometimes. I still want it in bean-form.

And Paul, coffee does taste wonderful. It doesn't need to be bitter.

I will also admit that I used to sometimes like instant Sanka.

But it's been twenty years since I tried it, and I suspect I'd hate it now.

Medievalist
08-19-2010, 11:23 PM
Cold filtered coffee is amazing.

You essentially brew it by steeping overnight. It produces a thicky, slightly syrupy coffee elixir that you drink by adding hot or cold water.

It has almost no acid at all.

What I like best about it is that you can cook with it and have rich coffee flavor. Fabulous in desserts, and in chili.

Sheila Muirenn
08-19-2010, 11:41 PM
Cold filtered coffee is amazing.

You essentially brew it by steeping overnight. It produces a thicky, slightly syrupy coffee elixir that you drink by adding hot or cold water.

It has almost no acid at all.

What I like best about it is that you can cook with it and have rich coffee flavor. Fabulous in desserts, and in chili.

How do you make this?

I want!

Medievalist
08-19-2010, 11:48 PM
How do you make this?

I want!

I wrote about it here (http://latte.us/news/making-coffee-cold-brewed-coffee).

Sheila Muirenn
08-20-2010, 12:16 AM
Thanks Lisa!

I googled it and became rather, goggled.

Oi, I need coffee;)

Edit: just read it. MUCH easier than the other directions I checked!

Bartholomew
08-20-2010, 12:30 AM
Coffee that is not mixed with iced-cream is a crying shame.

sassandgroove
08-20-2010, 01:09 AM
I feel I need to clarify Paul's position on this whole issue.

It is true, yes, that one may grow accustomed to the taste of coffee - even to the point of not using a sweetener (which includes milk) IOW the Humphrey Bogart drinker.

But my dear, dear people, we do so only to get that caffeine into our bloodstream.

Can you remember?
Good.

Then with practice you grew accustomed to it (with a few brave souls going commando), finally reaching a relationship with it in college/work or similar.
And you kept going, the more determined of you, that is.

And why?
Why, my dear friends, why?

Can you guess?

That's right, the nicotine caffeine. THE CAFFEINE.

not the taste, (though now it's a 'hazelnut, oak aged, hint of the forest, crushed by ancient stones, roasted under the midnight glow of mount ****, filtered through hand made filters', experience of course.) but the caffeine.

With me so far? Good.

And then came Decaf.

Now, load them shotguns up and lets go a huntin.

LOL
you know, i started dringdrinking coffee at work becuase i was the only tea drinker and it was easier to just get coffee. I maitained I wasn't a coffee drinker the whole time I worked there and even after for another year until I got a french press at a garage sale. even though I drank it en masse for all that time, i maintained i wasn't a coffee drinker. Now I have a french press, a stove top cappaccinno thingie (it's italian), a coffee grinder, and a fancy drip maker with a timer. ACK!!!!

Medievalist
08-20-2010, 03:31 AM
Thanks Lisa!

I googled it and became rather, goggled.

Oi, I need coffee;)

Edit: just read it. MUCH easier than the other directions I checked!

You can make little ice cubes of the elixir and use them in ice coffee, or in alcoholic delicacies.

And it makes the best coffee ice cream or sorbet you've ever had.

Shadow_Ferret
08-20-2010, 03:42 AM
Caffeine withdrawal is a b!tch to deal with. The better way is to start mixing regular and decaf and slowly increase the proportion of decaf to regular until you eliminate the regular all together.
Oddly enough, I don't suffer from caffeine withdrawal. Some weekend days I'm just too lazy to make coffee.
I'm American, never head of Potsum.

It was much more popular before they invented Decaf. Decaf pretty much killed it's market. But Postum was a national brand and during the 40s and 50s, it regularly sponsored some popular old time radio shows.

I
Can you remember?
Good.
I first started drinking it in the Navy. I've never thought it was "ucky."

Medievalist
08-20-2010, 03:55 AM
I liked coffee with milk even as a child.

But when I discovered brewed coffee?

Religious experience.

Paul
08-20-2010, 04:00 AM
I liked coffee with milk even as a child.

But when I discovered brewed coffee?

Religious experience.

That's a relief.

I kinda had you down for one of dem atheist types...

Medievalist
08-20-2010, 04:20 AM
That's a relief.

I kinda had you down for one of dem atheist types...

Ha!

I write about coffee, fairly often.

I'm going to try experimenting with Greek coffee this fall.

Paul
08-20-2010, 04:31 AM
Ha!

I write about coffee, fairly often.

I'm going to try experimenting with Greek coffee this fall.

wow.
I'm lucky if I get to try herbal teas these days....

(em, we have gone metaphoric,yes?)

Cliff Face
08-20-2010, 05:00 AM
I'm about to have my morning coffee, and I just want it stated on record that it tastes FANTASTIC.

So there. *tongue*

Paul
08-20-2010, 05:03 AM
Yeah yeah. Just cos you know it's my bedtime this side of the world and i cant' have any.
but tomorrow is coming....

Cella
08-20-2010, 05:08 AM
Yeah yeah. Just cos you know it's my bedtime this side of the world and i cant' have any.

You could If it was decaf.

Cliff Face
08-20-2010, 05:08 AM
*sings*

Morning's here!
Morning's heeeeeerreee!!

Medievalist
08-20-2010, 05:26 AM
wow.
I'm lucky if I get to try herbal teas these days....

I'm talking about this:

Greek coffee (http://latte.us/news/making-coffee-greek-coffee).

I'm hoping to pick up a briki at a local Greek festival, and the properly ground coffee.

Franklin Beaumont
08-20-2010, 08:35 AM
I love coffee so much. Black no sugar. I couldn't write without it.

I don't think decaffeinated coffee should even be called coffee. Maybe "I can't believe it's not coffee." Or "noffee".

Though sometimes I get so jittery after a pot that I can't sit still at the computer screen and have to go for a walk.

backslashbaby
08-20-2010, 08:37 AM
I had coffee first as a kid in church, actually. Like during church. It's a thing we do at Christmas (I'm betting Medi knows my obscure religion now).

It was icky. But it was decaf :D

Paul
08-20-2010, 02:09 PM
You could If it was decaf.

:e2zipped:

Ha! Well its morning here now Cliff!

:tongue

Cliff Face
08-20-2010, 02:19 PM
Hmm, it's morning for you, and 7.19pm for me... I better have a coffee!

darkprincealain
08-20-2010, 05:02 PM
Or, pilfer a cup from yesterday's pot at work.

It tastes wrong this way. I'll only do that if I'm desperate. Otherwise, I fill the cup with ice and sprink a few packets of stevia before pouring. Also milk helps it not to taste extremely bitter cold.

Cliff Face
08-20-2010, 05:02 PM
*still drinking coffee at 10.01pm*

Curiously, I don't think I'll have any trouble sleeping. My kidneys are fucking machines! I keep pouring in stimulants, it keeps breakin' 'em down! Booyah!

Cliff Face
08-20-2010, 05:05 PM
This current cup was made using a coffee BAG. Y'know, like a tea bag, but with coffee... I didn't know they did that until yesterday when my lecturer (of a small class of 9 or so) gave me 6 or 7 sachets containing a coffee bag each. Apparently I was the only coffee lover in the class, so I got all of them.

Not sure how I feel about coffee in a bag...

Paul
08-20-2010, 05:43 PM
Well long as its not decaf....

I'm counting 5 'friends' in the poll.

That's 5 'friends' walking around , alive, without a care in the world.

jus sayin

sassandgroove
08-20-2010, 06:08 PM
This is why decaf exists my friend.

Paul
08-20-2010, 06:17 PM
friend? you suggesting I'm a decaf user????

sassandgroove
08-20-2010, 06:48 PM
I am suggesting you could be, or should be. I am pointing out why it was invented, with your own words.:evil

Jess Haines
08-21-2010, 12:26 AM

I went a step further and put it (and chocolate) in the acknowledgements page of my first book.

darkprincealain
08-22-2010, 02:46 AM
Oh, I like Café du Monde's chicory coffee. I buy it all the time for winter. I'm sometimes known for cutting back on my consumption during the summer months.