PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Zombie Flick?

Diana Hignutt
06-29-2010, 06:09 PM
I love zombie movies. I don't know why, honestly. But, there it is. There are so many good ones.

-though I love Shaun of the Dead, for funny zombies I'm gonna go with the American Zombieland.

-for serious zombies, I gotta go with Danny Boyle's classic 28 Days Later with the dreamy Cillian Murphy(not exactly zombies but close enough).

Sometimes, I just sit back and wish for the Zombie Apocalyse....

Your faves?

seun
06-29-2010, 06:11 PM
Night of the Living Dead.

End of.

Calla Lily
06-29-2010, 06:19 PM

End of.

The original, of course. I also have a soft spot for Carnival of Souls. Not sure if that's technically a zombie movie, tho.

And Zombieland was a hoot.

ether
06-29-2010, 06:28 PM
Dawn of the Dead (Remake)
Zombieland
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later

I guess I can toss the Resident Evil movies on there, even if they're an atrocity compared to the games.

ChaosTitan
06-29-2010, 06:44 PM
I'm partial to the remake of DAWN OF THE DEAD. It's just plain fun.

Calla Lily
06-29-2010, 06:51 PM
Almost forgot: Return of the Living Dead (the first one). Braaaaiiiiiins!

seun
06-29-2010, 06:53 PM
The original, of course.

But of course.

mellymel
06-29-2010, 06:54 PM
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland
I Am Legend (does that qualify as a zombie movie?)

Shadow_Ferret
06-29-2010, 06:56 PM
White Zombie
Revolt of the Zombies
King of the Zombies
Revenge of the Zombies
I Walked With a Zombie

Nothing like the classics.

Diana Hignutt
06-29-2010, 07:15 PM

If 28 Days Later counts then I am Legend counts.

sassandgroove
06-29-2010, 07:19 PM
I think i've only seen Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland. I enjoyed them all.

Celia Cyanide
06-29-2010, 07:27 PM

End of.

Yeah, that one still holds up after all these years. And it's featured in every low budget horror movie because it's public domain!

Some unconventional zombie movies I like are STACY, the Japanese movie, and SUGAR HILL, which is a blaxploitation zombie movie.

BenPanced
06-29-2010, 08:29 PM
Yeah, I'd have to go with the original Night of the Living Dead as absolute favoritest zombie movie. It's just damned good movie-making: a reasonably intelligent script, believeable and sympathetic characters, and a soul-crushing ending that was pretty much unheard of in horror at the time.

seun
06-29-2010, 08:33 PM

Well, it counts as a really awful film :)

Diana Hignutt
06-29-2010, 08:37 PM
I also enjoyed Diary of the Dead, one of Romero's more recent endeavors.

How was Dead Snow? Anyone see that? Looks creepy. Should I rent it or whatever?

Shadow_Ferret
06-29-2010, 08:44 PM
Yeah, I'd have to go with the original Night of the Living Dead as absolute favoritest zombie movie. It's just damned good movie-making: a reasonably intelligent script, believeable and sympathetic characters, and a soul-crushing ending that was pretty much unheard of in horror at the time.

Yeah. I saw it when it came out. I was 11. Snuck into the theater where a friend's brother was an usher. Terrified me. Had to walk home in the dark and my imagination just made things worse. Zombies were hiding behind every bush, every tree. I wasn't able to watch another zombie movie until just a few years ago. I own the original, but I've only been able to watch it once since, and that with the lights on during the day. It still dredges up all sorts of childhood fears.

Kitty Pryde
06-29-2010, 09:40 PM
Let me go against popular opinion and say Reanimator. I remember watching it in my living room in high school during a slumber party. Some adult had inappropriately recommended it to us, possibly my history teacher. At the scene with the head, and the absolutely unforgettable line "I think I've always loved you", we all screamed. My parents came sprinting out of the bedroom thinking disaster had befallen us. Then we all screamed NO DON'T COME IN! so they wouldn't see what was on the tv screen :D

Dead Alive (aka Braindead) is a very close second. Rarely have zombies been so much fun and so darn bloody.

shawkins
06-30-2010, 12:13 AM

I saw it. I thought it was pretty good, but it didn't absolutely knock my socks off. Definitely worth a rental though.

My faves:

The Dawn of the Dead remake. Sarah Polley FTW! Actually this is probably my favorite movie of the decade. I'm a sucker for nihilism.
Dawn of the Dead original.
Return of the Living Dead. Send more cops.
As a kid I was really fond of one called Dead and Buried. I haven't seen it in ages & I couldn't tell you how well it holds up.
Dittoing Re-Animator.
Rec and Rec2 are probably in there somewhere as well.

Have you guys heard about the upcoming TV series The Walking Dead (http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/films.php?id=14666)? Frank Darabont (The Mist, Shawshank Redemption, Green Mile) is writing & directing. Should be out this fall. I've seen some stills and it looks frigging fantastic.

Diana Hignutt
06-30-2010, 12:17 AM
How did I forget Rec?

And, there's a Rec2? Hold the phone. I am so on that shit. Thanks for the head's up (and the nod for Dead Snow).

Calla Lily
06-30-2010, 12:30 AM
Shakycam. (Pardon me while I puke.) I. Hate. Shakycam.

I would've liked [REC] more if I wasn't constantly looking away to give my gills a chance to fade from green to normal.

shawkins
06-30-2010, 12:37 AM
How did I forget Rec?

And, there's a Rec2? Hold the phone. I am so on that shit. Thanks for the head's up (and the nod for Dead Snow).

Just FYI, Dead Snow is currently available on Netflix on demand.

Medievalist
06-30-2010, 12:40 AM
I love the squirrel in Shaun of the Dead.

EFCollins
06-30-2010, 01:18 AM

End of.

QFT. There hasn't been anything quite like it.

seun
06-30-2010, 01:36 AM

It was disappointing. Not funny in an Evil Dead 2 and 3 way, and not at all frightening. Maybe worth a watch on a Friday night if there's nothing else on but that's about it.

kaitiepaige17
06-30-2010, 01:37 AM
Zombieland!

SPMiller
06-30-2010, 01:43 AM
Dawn of the Dead.

What boggles me? People keep talkin bout some remake. I don't know nothin bout no remake. It don't exist.

Preacher'sWife
06-30-2010, 02:20 AM
Dead Alive Best bloodbath scene ever! MC uses a lawmower like a shield in a room packed with zombies.

clockwork
06-30-2010, 04:22 AM
I love Night but prefer Dawn (the original) simply because it's the one I watched growing up. I too liked Romero's later Diary and Survival but didn't care for Land.

The Living Dead At Manchester Morgue is another that messed me up as a kid but I haven't re-watched in years.

Smileycat
06-30-2010, 04:33 AM
Hi, Diane. Honestly, I kind of like Day of the Dead Romero's original. I also like Plants vs. Zombies (online game). :Shrug:

Geeks
06-30-2010, 05:03 PM
Shaun of the Dead -- which was far superior to Zombieland in everyway.

Other than that, the original Dawn of the Dead.

Kathleen42
06-30-2010, 05:20 PM
I'm partial to the remake of DAWN OF THE DEAD. It's just plain fun.

It's the opening credits, I think. Can't go wrong with Johnny Cash.

Mine:

28 Days Later (I don't care what the zombies snobs say--for all intensive purposes, they're zombies) (also, hello score/soundtrack of awesomeness)
Night of the Living Dead (original)

Diana Hignutt
06-30-2010, 05:48 PM
Shaun of the Dead -- which was far superior to Zombieland in everyway.

Actually, not in everyway.

One thing is a pretty major cultural difference. In the Brit Shaun (which I do love) there's only one gun in the whole movie, in the American Zombieland, there are lot's more guns, everyone is loaded to the teeth with guns, and a much bigger budget.

Zombieland also features Bill Murray's house, Bill Murray, and (SPOILER ALERT), Bill Murray's accidental death.

seun
06-30-2010, 05:59 PM
I keep meaning to put myself through Survival of the Dead again just to see if it improves with a second viewing. Problem is, the first viewing made me feel dirty.

Wayne K
06-30-2010, 05:59 PM
They had the release party for Return of the Living Dead at the Red Parrot when I worked there, so its the only one I've ever seen. I liked it

clockwork
06-30-2010, 06:07 PM
I keep meaning to put myself through Survival of the Dead again just to see if it improves with a second viewing. Problem is, the first viewing made me feel dirty.

I think you have to embrace the goofiness in order to stand a chance of liking it. It came apart by the end for me (mindless shoot-outs) but I did strangely enjoy the over the top 18th century Irish feudin'. I half expected Father Ted to wander through it all at some point. :)

seun
06-30-2010, 06:08 PM
I think you have to embrace the goofiness in order to stand a chance of liking it. It came apart by the end for me (mindless shoot-outs) but I did strangely enjoy the over the top 18th century Irish fuedin'. I half expected Father Ted to wander through it all at some point. :)

That would have been extremely cool.

The problem with Survival for me was that it didn't feel like a Romero film. It felt like a tribute to him.

DrZoidberg
06-30-2010, 06:11 PM
My favourite is the 90's remake of the Night of the Living dead. I think its the most well made of them all. And the one with the best focus on the basic idea of the whole zombie thing... ie most living people are barely alive anyway.

Shaun of the Dead is the funniest.

Loop
07-01-2010, 09:27 AM
Survival of the Dead was horrible. And I like Romero's other movies, and can always watch a zombie flick.

But SotD barely had a plot, and seemed more like a lame attempt at Zombieland type humor. Like how the MC in that knew the kills of other zombie...um, hunters without explanation. Except here, there was just a mention of a youtube type site and exposition on what was happening in the world, and that was it.

So yea, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later, and every other zombie flick except SotD are my favorites.

Rhys Cordelle
07-01-2010, 09:53 AM
28 Days Later (I don't care what the zombies snobs say--for all intensive purposes, they're zombies)

I agree. It had a gritty realism about it. I was horrified with 28 Weeks Later.
They took a brilliant film and made a cheesy hollywood sequel. I mean, the father just happens to show up at the end? Bollocks! What happens to the woman who carried the virus is so horrific I felt like throwing up. I haven't been that disturbed since the opening scene of Saw III.

seun
07-01-2010, 06:20 PM
I watched Flight of the Living Dead last night and laughed a lot. Even though it was complete crap.

SPMiller
07-01-2010, 11:25 PM
None of the endings for 28 Days Later, IMO, were any good.

robeiae
07-01-2010, 11:31 PM
Favorite zombie film?

The English Patient.

BenPanced
07-02-2010, 01:49 AM
NO, no, robovowels. A movie about zombies.

mellymel
07-02-2010, 03:44 AM
I also found myself throughly engrossed in the Norwegian made zombie film, Dead Snow. very entertaining. Had some good jumping moments, the acting was fairly decent and had a good mix of comedy, suspense, and gore.

Here's the trailer. http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi4236378905/

I also love the Spanish film [REC]. The English version was pretty decent as well, but I liked the original better.

mario_c
07-02-2010, 08:32 AM
First Dawn Of The Dead, no question, powerful stuff. I was let down by SOTD, I think Romero was aiming his satirical fangs at factory farming and he missed. The action was spot on at least.
Was having a good laugh a long time ago at some of the Blind Dead (http://blue-underground.com/product.php?product=63) movies - there were four that I know of, but I can't remember which one it was. Probably Night Of The Seagulls. Cheesy but the monsters were great and what a nice spooky atmosphere!