"Pre-packaged" novels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
AKA novels that closely resemble their predecessor, only have a slightly different plot and different/same characters.

Why in the world are they so damn popular? Why do people want to read the same thing again only with different characters and a slightly different plotline/place of action? Not only this, but also the super-duper-fantastic-the-Church-is-so-evil novels, spin offs of the Da Vinci Code.

Why?! I understand the idea they are popular and people want to read that, but that's taking it to a whole new level.

I'm clueless. Rant against the world.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been told since I was little, even before I was a writer, that the average person wants "the same but different." People, in general, want entertainment that isn't a risk--something they're in the mood for, but not the exact same thing that they've experienced before.

And, frankly, I'm one of them. When I'm in the mood, I don't want to risk my time, money or emotional investment on something I'm not sure I'll like. Same but different. The guarantee.

It's frustrating to me the writer, but it's totally true for me the consumer. *shrug*

mulcahy67

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
well, it's pretty much the same reason, out of the twenty most watched shows on cable, like half of them are law and order/csi/ncis stuff.

as which deleyanlee explained well, they don't want a risk. why watch lost when they can watch something they are familiar with and know they'll probably like?

Aphotic Phoenix

Reformed Extrovert
Registered
Reaction score
well, it's pretty much the same reason, out of the twenty most watched shows on cable, like half of them are law and order/csi/ncis stuff.

The advantage of Law and Order (and other crime shows to a certain degree), is that each episode is independent of one another. If you miss a few shows you don't feel completely lost as to what's going on, which does turn some people off. This is actually why I never watched Lost, or Heros, etc when they aired.

Now when it comes to books that are copies/rehashes/etc...the closer two works mirror each other, the less interesting I find them.

kaitiepaige17

Inappropriate smiley INCOMINGGGGGG!
Registered
Reaction score
Well, what everyone said was true, but sometimes people just like vampire/werewolf stories (examples.) I'm one of them. It's not that I'm afraid to get emotionally invested in something different. I just simply like those stories.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
What DeleyanLee said is the same thing I've heard (that was in reaction to someone saying, "Ugh, not another sequel video game!")

For me personally as a consumer it's not so much about fear, as it is about how rare it is to find a story that really speaks to me, and how glad I am when I find a series or author where all the stories resonate with me. I think everyone has certain types of story they adore and want to read again and again, but as adults we don't have the tolerance for repetition children do, so instead of just re-reading a book a lot we want to read a lot of similar books which are different enough to surprise us and get at different facets of the situation we are intrigued by.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
Cowardly publishers who only care about the bottom line? A big business that does not care about innovation? The readers are addicted to a certain style? The fact that reading has been set on the bottom rung of "important" subjects in school for so long that certain generations think reading YA is the ultimate achievement of a reading population? Hack writers using thread bare formulas?

Bunches of reasons.

It's pretty much the death spiral of arts, and literature is in one now.

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
It's the same as watching re-runs, or spin-offs. If the original is good, you figure you'll like the new one.

omega_n17

Read. Write. Knit. Repeat.
Registered
Reaction score
Cowardly publishers who only care about the bottom line? A big business that does not care about innovation? The readers are addicted to a certain style? The fact that reading has been set on the bottom rung of "important" subjects in school for so long that certain generations think reading YA is the ultimate achievement of a reading population? Hack writers using thread bare formulas?

Bunches of reasons.

Jeez. Apocalyptic much?

But seriously, this kind of thing really isn't anything new, or dooming. People felt the same way about the advent of the novel in the 1700's--it was a genre considered to be the area of lackwits and women, an idle pursuit with no art or intelligence required. Gothic romances a hundred years later (which are formulaic and often laden with the most purple of prose) received much the same reaction. Pulp SF of the 1940's-60s? Same deal. None of it has stopped good, original writers from being published or successful.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
I think this becomes a problem when something we don't really like becomes very popular. For example, I don't like medieval European fantasy settings, vampires, or werewolves. It's not just because they've all been overdone (though they have), it's because I didn't particularly care for any of those things in the first place so their saturation within the genre really, really annoys me.

I love united space-faring confederations and space battles, so no matter how many times I read this same Star-Trek-like setting in science fiction, I don't get tired of it (though I am thoroughly sick of some of the SF character clichés). I also never get tired of reading about dragons in fantasy, no matter how many times they're used.

So maybe a lot of it comes down to whether you like what's currently popular or not, lol.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
It depends what type of reader you're aiming for. Some readers just want a fast, easy read. I used to devour horror and crime in my early twenties. My favourite authors didn't produce fast enough.

Then there are the readers [which I have developed into]. I love my literary thrillers, writers like Ian Rankin and David Peace who write a blend of genre and literary. It takes longer to find those type of books, but trust me they are there.

I remember having a similar rant against chick-lit writers, when I was experienced my first 'rejection shock' moment. Turned out it was my writing that was shocking, and not the state of publishing that was resulting in rejections. :D

cutecontinent

Registered
Reaction score

/Salute

/Flamesuit

IDGS

@LeaveItToIan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.iandgsandusky.com

Sounds depressing, but I don't think it's really that bad.

Look at all the spinoff / clones that came out when Star Wars blew up box offices.

Look at all the serial killer clones that errupted when Silence of the Lambs hit.

Literature often mirrors what's going on in cinema. It often precludes it, but a lot of readers don't think that way.

Don't worry, as soon as this damn vampire thing dies a horribly painful death (I hope) a new shitty microgenre will explode for carbon-copying.

Massawyrm

Registered
Reaction score
It is about the duplication of an experience. You want to relive an experience, but ou can't re-experience a work for a first time, so you turn to something that looks like something you've enjoyed before, hoping to enjoy it again. If you enjoyed and were scared by a zombie book, you're likely to buy another hoping to be just as scared.

Cowardly publishers who only care about the bottom line? A big business that does not care about innovation?

This is just both bitter and wrong. The industries want nothing more than innovation. Editors and producers stake their careers on it. But time and again, people return to the familiar, neglect the original and leave these experiments busted. People long for the familiar, so that's what sells and that's what successful businesses offer. If they don't care about their bottom line, they go out of business. End of story.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
The fact that reading has been set on the bottom rung of "important" subjects in school for so long that certain generations think reading YA is the ultimate achievement of a reading population?

Huh? We must live in very different areas then, because all the schools I know about are trying to cram so much math and English in, it's making kids' heads spin. These are the two major subjects that standardized testing looks at. Some schools have even cut recess and music to fit more English in. I'd say they think it's important.

The reason many teachers think YA is great is because it's getting kids to read in their spare time *in addition to* the required reading for school. And I have to admit, a book that makes a non-reader sit down and invest their time in it (no matter how silly it is), accomplishes something pretty cool in my mind. And you never know what books the former non-reader may move onto next. How many teens have started reading Jane Austen because of the Pride, Predjudice, and Zombies series? Or picked up Wuthering Heights beacause it's Bella Swan's favorive book? There are also plenty of exceptionally-written and thought-provocing YA novels out there that should not be discounted simply because they were aimed at a younger audience.

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
The reason many teachers think YA is great is because it's getting kids to read in their spare time *in addition to* the required reading for school. And I have to admit, a book that makes a non-reader sit down and invest their time in it (no matter how silly it is), accomplishes something pretty cool in my mind. And you never know what books the former non-reader may move onto next. How many teens have started reading Jane Austen because of the Pride, Predjudice, and Zombies series? Or picked up Wuthering Heights beacause it's Bella Swan's favorive book? There are also plenty of exceptionally-written and thought-provocing YA novels out there that should not be discounted simply because they were aimed at a younger audience.

Fully agree with your point. (in bold)

However, why can't we promote some "smart" books such as Huckleberry Finn or any other of those classics which are real fun even now instead of promoting Twilight and the likes just because it makes young kids read? Pride and Prejudice is a bit too heavy for teens to digest, as an example, but that's only my biased opinion.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
How dare we give readers what they want? It's appalling!

Jake Barnes

Registered
Reaction score

Bunches of reasons.

Like Cezanne and his paintings of Mont Saint-Victoire. Why couldn't he just get it right the first time? Also, Monet and his damned waterlilies and haystacks.

djf881

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Media are big believers in franchises and brands. The power of name recognition and brand equity are significant economic values, and critical complaints of the artistic bankruptcy of such products aren't damaging enough to make original stories and content more economically valuable than sequels, spin-offs, adaptations and derivations.

Original works, no matter how good, have to build an audience. Franchise entries and derivatives, no matter how bankrupt or dubious, have an audience built-in. This has been going on since Arthur Conan Doyle, unable to otherwise disentangle himself from his popular creation, threw Sherlock Holmes off a cliff.

In short, the market for entertainment media is viewed by companies who pay the freight as being comprised of people who lack discerning taste and who make decisions based on name recognition rather than critical opinion. In the past, that view has been rewarded. This summer's dismal movie box office for a slate of films that's been franchise-heavy may indicate the tide is turning.

Last edited:

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I fail to see what's wrong with people liking what they like, and I fail to see why it's a bad thing for publishers (and writers) to provide them with more of what they like.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
There are many, many smart books being publshed now. If you are interested in YA, check out CarolRhoda's lab line. They've chosen some very creative books. Most publishers offer a mix of books each year that run the gamut from popular fiction to books that buiild a following more slowly but are more respected in the long run.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Original works, no matter how good, have to build an audience.

Exactly. It's not that writers can't create new and original things. It's just that writers have to work harder and write it better in order to make people want to read it and establish that as the new thing to read.

It can be done. William Gibson comes to mind as a prime example.

[quoteThis has been going on since Arthur Conan Doyle, unable to otherwise disentangle himself from his popular creation, threw Sherlock Holmes off a cliff.[/QUOTE]

I think it's benn going on as long as stories were being told to the public.

And that didn't work so well for Sir Arthur, BTW. He succumbed to pressure and brought Holmes back several years later and kept writing him for years more. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.