need advice - genre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pale Moon Rider

Registered
Reaction score
Advice please:
My book is similar to The Never Ending Story in that it has a few human characters and mythical or fantasy animal characters that talk. Shrek is another story that is similar in that way.
My question is: Is this a Children's Book? The main human character is a boy of about eleven years, but the book, like Shrek and The Never Ending Story, has a wider appeal, including adults.
I say this because every adult that has read it has really enjoyed it and when it was read by Care Providers in Day Care Centers, the kids loved it and so did the adults reading it.
But what genre is it?

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
If the main human character is about eleven and most of the characters are (presumably friendly) animals of some sort, and there're no sex scenes, drinking, cussing, or other adult themes, then it sounds like you've got a children's fantasy. It'll certainly be marketed for kids even if it also appeals to adults, and in fact the best children's lit generally appeals to adults as well. Sounds like a winner. :)

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Try your themes. Do you think a ten-year-old could understand them? Would they bore an adult? Be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.