• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Confused About Preposition(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoomieBey

Registered
Reaction score
Hey,

Which of the following is correct?

How to Excel at Personal Development

or...

How to Excel in Personal Development

or is there another word that should go in its place. Thanks in advance.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Either is correct - depends upon context.

'In' if it's one's own personal development.

'At' if it's general Personal Development, like, say, studying a course so you can teach it.

Last edited:

flood

Registered
Reaction score
I have seen many self-improvement books on the shelves, and those that I remember used AT.

That may be incorrect, but I think it makes a better title.

Other options, to avoid the question:

How to Excel: Personal Development

Personal Development: How to Excel

Cuts a word, leaves the meaning open.

DoomieBey

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. Actually, my full title is,

Redefine Your Mind!: How to Excel [blank] Personal Development

I wanted to be absolutely certain of which preposition to use before the cover designer places it on the book.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
I'd question why you have an exclamation (!) and a colon ( : ) together. The colon can act as a summation to the previous statement: Redefine Your Mind: How To Excel In Personal Developement. The exclametion is acting to put emphasis on 'Redefine Your Mind'. Both shouldn't really be together like that.

DoomieBey

Registered
Reaction score
Well I certainly appreciate that. I'll use the exclamation point to place emphasis on the main title (thanks). Now to my original question: Which preposition is appropriate?
I'd question why you have an exclamation (!) and a colon ( : ) together. The colon can act as a summation to the previous statement: Redefine Your Mind: How To Excel In Personal Developement. The exclametion is acting to put emphasis on 'Redefine Your Mind'. Both shouldn't really be together like that.

bonitakale

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bkedits.com
I'd do 'at.' You excel 'at' a skill, and you excel 'in' a field or class, usually.

But there's something grating about the word, when used with 'personal development.' I think maybe it's because 'excel' assumes competition, and competing in personal development is a very weird idea.

"I'm more sensitive to nuance than you are, nyah, nyah!"

"Oh, yeah, well I've overcome my childhood fears, so there!"

DoomieBey

Registered
Reaction score
Okayyyyy, now that you've indirectly suggested that I take something off of my "plate", what would you suggest I replace it with? I'm still hungry. But thanks for taking the time to reply.
I'd do 'at.' You excel 'at' a skill, and you excel 'in' a field or class, usually.

But there's something grating about the word, when used with 'personal development.' I think maybe it's because 'excel' assumes competition, and competing in personal development is a very weird idea.

"I'm more sensitive to nuance than you are, nyah, nyah!"

"Oh, yeah, well I've overcome my childhood fears, so there!"

flood

Registered
Reaction score
Doomie,

Not to beat the point to death, but perhaps the title is too long, or should be split into two lines, with whichever you or your publisher thinks most important appearing at the top in a larger font.

That way, you can keep it as written, one way or the other, and use a preposition or the colon without having a giant spattering of punctuation and a large title.

I also clearly see Bonita's point, and yours. There is no easy way I can think of to reword it, though. While the preposition IN is probably correct, the use of AT seems more prevalent among the books I have seen.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If she says, "Hey baby, looking for a date?" it means you have to pay her. Oh, wait...you said prEposition.

Never mind...

bonitakale

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bkedits.com
Okayyyyy, now that you've indirectly suggested that I take something off of my "plate", what would you suggest I replace it with? I'm still hungry. But thanks for taking the time to reply.

Hmm. How to Maximize Your Personal Development? Or is that a cliché?

How to Deepen...

How to Shape...

I guess it depends on what kind of personal development you're into.

DoomieBey

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Bonitakale!

That takes care of everything. Ya, see, I just knew you had it in you. I love this site!

DoomieBey

Registered
Reaction score
@gothicangel: Didn't know AW had one specifically for that. It may be okay here, since the Mods usually move the threads that are in the wrong forum - if they catch it.

But, er, since you took the time to post, do you have something to bring to the party?

jairey

Registered
Reaction score
Just a suggestion -- lose the "How to" and make a verb the first thing:
"Shape Your Personal Development"
"Excel At Personal Development"
"Succeed In Personal Development"
"Win At Personal Development"

IMHO

Jean

DoomieBey

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, but doing so would probably make the main title (Redefine Your Mind) appear awkward, since it (redefine) also begins with a verb. your suggestions certainly make for some interesting back cover copy info. Thanks.
Just a suggestion -- lose the "How to" and make a verb the first thing:
"Shape Your Personal Development"
"Excel At Personal Development"
"Succeed In Personal Development"
"Win At Personal Development"

IMHO

Jean

Status
Not open for further replies.