I need information on best handgun from around 1956

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thescribe.godaddysites.com
My MC needs it to be a quick and easy shot, easy to hold, etc. I'm reading about the Beretta with Windchester ammo. But basically, I am a clueless hippie and need more information. Thank you!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure you'll get a lot of replies (questions about firearms always do).

You might want to give a few more details about the MC and the setting. For example, the US or elsewhere? Is the MC ex-military? Prior experience with handguns?

Most of the time you don't really have to go into a lot of detail about either the gun or the ammo, unless it's needed for the plot of your story.

I don't usually point out typos (it's poor form), but it's Winchester, not Windchester. I thought you might actually want to know that.

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thank you alleycat!

The setting is Indiana,1956. The MC is a young woman who has never been around guns. She needs something that will kill her enemy quick, because she knows it might be a one-shot deal, literally. So again: easy to hold, easy to pull the trigger, female friendly, but very deadly.

Stanmiller

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:evil says,

Best of the semi-autos of that period? Probably the FN/Browning Hi-Power in 9mm and the Colt Government Model 1911A1 in .45 ACP.

Best revolvers? That's tougher. The Colt's Python .357 Mag and Smith and Wesson Registered Magnum or Model 27 .357s would be neck and neck, if it weren't for the S&W Model 29 .44 Mag introduced in 1955.

:evil flips a coin. It comes up...drum roll...Model 29 .44 Mag, Clint's Dirty Harry Special.

Oops. :evil just saw your post about being small female friendly. Now :evil says give her the gentleperson's pistol, the elegant Browning Hi-Power, instead of the brutal .44 Mag.

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you alleycat!

The setting is Indiana,1956. The MC is a young woman who has never been around guns. She needs something that will kill her enemy quick, because she knows it might be a one-shot deal, literally. So again: easy to hold, easy to pull the trigger, female friendly, but very deadly.
A double-action revolver is probably the easiest and most intuitive to use by someone with little or no experience with handguns.

I'll throw out one idea: a Smith & Wesson Chiefs Special in .38 Special (.38 Special is the ammunition used). It's powerful, but small enough for a woman to handle. The .38 Special was a popular round, and was commonly used by police departments at that time.

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Okay, thank you. Would she buy the gun and ammo at the local general store? Or would it be a special store? It's a very small town btw, not sure if I mentioned that.

Adding- looks like I will go with the Smith & Wesson w/ .38 Special ammo. Thank you!

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There were gun stores around, but back then most small town hardware stores also carried guns. That would be a good option to use, I believe.

Stanmiller

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A double-action revolver is probably the easiest and most intuitive to use by someone with little or no experience with handguns.

I'll throw out one idea: a Smith & Wesson Chiefs Special in .38 Special (.38 Special is the ammunition used). It's powerful, but small enough for a woman to handle. The .38 Special was a popular round, and was commonly used by police departments at that time.

Except that the glaring issue with the S&W J-Frames (the frame size of the Chief's Special) is that they are experts' weapons. The 2 inch barrel and short sight radius, along with the small grip makes them very tough to shoot. Many, many rounds have to be expended before the weapon is effective beyond five yards or so. :evil has been through two of the critters (Airweight Bodyguards) learning how to shoot them.

Mrs. :evil won't shoot the blasted things at all, preferring the controllability and feel of the Hi-Power. She's 5-4, weighs in about 110 lbs, with small hands. She took to it right away and regularly outshoots :evil himself with it.

--Stan

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I guess the main issue is, now that I think of it, what would have been available at the time? I'm guessing the Smith & Wesson. Emma would probably prefer a revolver to something that uses a clip, however I do agree that a fatter nose (?) would be of a hinderance. It's a close range shot, about ten feet or so, but still, she wants to be accurate.

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
Just want to point out, that you are basically receiving the dialog that can take place when she purchases the weapon.

"I need a gun."

"Well little lady, I have two guns right here that might do the trick. Then one is simple, point and shoot - this one takes a little training - you can practice right here at the range. In fact, let's go out back and shoot them both so you can pick out the one that feels best"

Something along those lines.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Sears would also have carried small arms in the sporting goods department during that time period as well as most local hardware and sporting goods stores in small town America.

While a lot of people might disagree, because of the stopping power, a 22 pistol would be a perfect weapon for a woman who has never handled a gun before. You can pop round after round off without worrying about recoil.

Also, the sound like a firecracker and more than likely would not draw much attention if she is worried about that king of stuff. Buying a 22 would also not draw much interest since lots of rural folks kept them around to scare off stray dogs and stuff. A woman buying something larger in a small town might get tongues wagging about what she needs a gun for...

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Any reason the weapon has to be a gun? If it's a small town, I'd imagine buying a handgun would raise some eyebrows. Unless, maybe, she takes a trip to Chicago?

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm going to ponder all of this tonight because it is all really good information. Thank you!

The main thing is to kill fast. Her target is the leader of a group of men who can paralyze with only one thought, so it has to be done quick and she's hoping to phase back into the future right after. That means a loud gun would be okay—what does she care?

I'm liking the hardware store. It sounds right to me.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
My wife, who is not a small woman, had difficulty working the slide on my 9 mm and my .45 ACP. She just wasn't strong enough. For close in work, the .38 chief's special is as good as any. It fits a woman's smaller hand, and has enough stopping power to do the job.

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thank you RJK, and to everyone. Yeah, I think I really am going to stick with a .38. A 22 pistol would be too small, from what I read last night.

So, she's doing target practice up on the bluffs. What kind of power does her ammo have with limestone? I know, probably a really stupid question. I'm going to have her setting up targets—drawings she's made of each person from the Soul Seekers ministry. Would Limestone crumble behind the picture, or is there a chance it could ricochet off?

Todd Bayliss

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mtoddbayliss.com
Both. The bullet would either ricochet or splatter itself into oblivion, but would also blast out a decent crater in the rock and send fragments flying.
Check out http://www.theboxotruth.com/ for pics of what happens when bullets hit stuff.
Don't discount the little .22 though. It penetrates deep and tends to explode when it hits something hard (like bone). Weapon of choice for professional hits because of the quiet report. Sounds like a nail gun, but does require skill and close range to be effective.

Tiger

AKA: "Gums of Steel"
Registered
Reaction score
I'd go with a S&W Chief's special... Still relatively new in '56. .38 is certainly lethal enough.

justAnotherWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Any reason the weapon has to be a gun? If it's a small town, I'd imagine buying a handgun would raise some eyebrows. Unless, maybe, she takes a trip to Chicago?

Not in the slightest. Not even today, but especially in the 50s.

You must be a city person think like that. :)

Gary

Registered
Reaction score
No problem buying a gun without generating curiosity, but finding a larger caliber handgun in a small town would be difficult unless the town was located in an area where there were bears and other large animals, and reasons for people spend time in the woods.

I lived in a small town in 1956, and while rifles were a glut, the local hardware store usually stocked only one or two cheap .22 caliber pistols. If you wanted something more powerful, you drove to a larger town with a well stocked sporting goods store, or you ordered it through the mail.

WWII German surplus 9MM Lugers were cheap and readily available from several outdoor magazine advertisers, but it took time to get them without the Internet and UPS.

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Okay Gary. Everyone made a great point, but you can't beat a real anecdote. I'll have to rethink the .38 special and consider what you said about the .22 caliber pistol. Darnitt too, because I read Annie Oakley had a Smith & Wesson, and I was all gung ho about that.

Thanks to every one again. The information has been amazing!

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
If your character is target shooting, she'd probably buy a box of wad cutters. The bullet is soft lead and the cartridge has a lighter charge of gunpowder. The softer bullet makes for lower chance of ricochet. These bullets are still deadly, but are commonly used for target practice.

Gary

Registered
Reaction score
One other thing to consider. In every small town or rural area, there is always a gun nut who owns dozens of guns and buys and sells constantly. Our neighbor was one of those guys, and those of us who couldn't afford to buy a gun would often borrow one of his when hunting season rolled around.

You character might try buying a gun in a hardware store, and the store owner might suggest she visit a collector to see if he had one to sell.

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
That's an interesting thought, Gary. There's a guy that lives out past town that Emma tried to buy a car from in the first book (when it's 1979) and she could buy a gun from him in this book as well. Hmmmm, wheels are a turnin'.'

And thank you for the info RJK.

Last edited:

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
My final decision is the .38—Emma will be obsessed with getting one after reading about Annie Oakley. She'll try the hardware store at first, but since it won't be stocked, she'll get referred to the guy who lives out past town. He's a collector and will have the gun and all the answers she could ever hope to ask (a conglomeration of you guys!).

I really appreciate all the help!