Shorter than I thought, Now what?

scfirenice

professional multitasker
Registered
Reaction score
I recently finished what I hope is the last major edit on my second book. It's tight, it reads well, and my Betas are applauding. One problem, the thing is shorter than I anticipated; around 70,000 or so words. I hate to go back in add scenes when it really goes where I want it to. I've noticed a few authors are writing shorter novels, MaryJanice Davidson's new one is about 68,000 words. So should I leave it? Or add more to get to the magic 80,000?

Thanks in advance,
Sheryl

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
scfirenice said:
I recently finished what I hope is the last major edit on my second book. It's tight, it reads well, and my Betas are applauding. One problem, the thing is shorter than I anticipated; around 70,000 or so words. I hate to go back in add scenes when it really goes where I want it to. I've noticed a few authors are writing shorter novels, MaryJanice Davidson's new one is about 68,000 words. So should I leave it? Or add more to get to the magic 80,000?

Thanks in advance,
Sheryl
I would pitch it and see what agents and publishers think. It's dumb to add scenes just to bump up your word count at this point. You might receive feedback on the novel that will mean adding scenes or whatever, so send it out and see what happens. Good luck!
Lauri

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
70000 words is fine. It's a short novel, but if it's a good one, I don't think it matters.

Mine is about 75,000-word. It comes to about 240 pages (paperback) -- I think it's a good size. Nicholas Spark's The Notebook is only 56,000 words. It's a best seller.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Hasn't anyone ever told you: size doesn't matter!!!
C'mon, I'm sure you heard it from at least one or two old boyfriends. (he, he) Sorry.

Actually, what is wrong with 70,000 words? Does your genre have a specific wc to land in? Is this WAY to short? Or just a little? I have the opposite problem, my books are too long, which is detremintal to a first sell (costs publishers more $ to print a book from an author they don't even know will sell yet). I wouldn't add scenes or you'll just slow the pace, and it sounds like the book is great. You might be worrying too much.