• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Flashbacks... Should They Be Italicized?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
The Best Place In The World...Absolute Write!!
Hello. How are you all doing?

I came here for help because I am about to write a flashback scene in my WIP, but I'm having trouble because I don't know if flashbacks should be italicized or if there's something that has to be done to set them apart from the other scenes.

ETA: While I'm at it, I should go ahead and ask the same question for dream sequences, if there's something that should be done to set them apart from other scenes.

I will be waiting for your responses and they will be greatly appreciated.
Love
Magali.

Last edited:

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't italicise them personally. It should be obvious to the reader that it's a flashback; they probably will get it, don't worry.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I'd stay away from the italics as well - especially if the flashback is more than a couple sentences. Very hard on the eyes. As Lady Ice said, it should be obvious without.

Reaction score
I wouldn't italicise them personally. It should be obvious to the reader that it's a flashback; they probably will get it, don't worry.

Ok, thank you!! I'm going to go ahead and write the flashback scene and then I'm going to go watch Days of Our Lives. When Days is over, I'm going to come back to this thread to see if there are any other suggestions and then I'm going to go back to the scene to do what other future posters have suggested.

Thanks so much!

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say also not to italicise, as doing so would usually be unnecessary unless it is interspersed confusingly (like every few lines it switches back and forth or something).

Usually through context readers can figure it out, if you've written clearly.

CraftyCreations411

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know the specifics. I'm busy learning but in my book, because of the lengths, I gave them their own chapters and titled them along of flashback to xxxxxxxx (whatever.)

It's a thought.

Candy

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I've used italics for flashbacks before and it's worked fine. What probably prompted me to do so was seeing italics used in flashbacks in many published stories. I've also seen flashbacks that weren't italicized. So, use them or don't use them, it's your choice. And ditto for dream sequences.

-Derek

Danthia

I use italics for short flashbacks, but it never goes more than half a page, because italics are harder to read. I've found it works well for short dramatized lines, then I go into a more traditional narrative to continue it.

Such as...

It was just like before, the day Sally died.
"So, this is what killed her?" the sheriff asked.
I nodded, too stunned to speak. Zombies. She'd been eaten by zombies.

The sheriff hadn't believed me of course, said I was crazy, had killed her myself, but I knew better.

The mix works for me because you get the sense of immediacy and intimacy with the italics, then flesh it out with a bit of internalization.

But you can do it any way you'd like, really. As long as you make it clear that you're going into a flashback, you should be fine.

Oppsy, hehe, I posted before I saw the decision was made :) Guess I'm the minority!

defyalllogic

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
italicize them so they know where they are. I personally hate them so i like to know where they are so i can skip them... no offense. I'm sure yours are different but i want to be IN the story not day dreaming. they feel like commercial breaks to me so if you kindly italicize them i can Tivo style skip them.

*Personal Preference*

I use italics for short flashbacks, but it never goes more than half a page, because italics are harder to read.
i don't know why everyone can't see that or be as kind to my eyes. if i have to read six pages of italics... oh wait I don't have to do anything, i'm skipping ahead. Italics are Hard to Read.

Dr.Gonzo

Wonderfully Irreverent
Registered
Reaction score
If it's a lengthy flashback, I'd lead into it by starting to describe it/scene break/then write it as if I'm there.

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Most guidelines I've read say center a # to indicate scene break.

#​

-Derek

Dr.Gonzo

Wonderfully Irreverent
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, very true. Have one of those in said gap and you'll be fine.

Reaction score
Most guidelines I've read say center a # to indicate scene break.

#​

-Derek

I will do exactly that! Thank you so much! :)

Yep, very true. Have one of those in said gap and you'll be fine.

Wow, thank you so much for all your help! I know how to write flashbacks now, although I will barely use them. I hereby consider this question solved. :) Thanks a million, everyone!! :D You're all amazing!

-Magali.

PoppysInARow

Book Reviewer y'all
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I use --- to indicate scene breaks.

---

I've never had an agent criticise me for it. So long as it makes sense and not over the top.

Would work too.

And I jumped on board with everyone about the italics issue. Short and sweet win's fair agent's heart!

SadieCass

Queen of Trauma Drama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorsarahcass.com
I've always done flashbacks and 'letters' in italics. For my current novels flashbacks and letters are a big part of them (my MC has amnesia and when things are revealed it's often through a letter or a short flashback). I never thought they were hard to read (for me personally, but I also don't seem to get screen fatigue), now you all have me worried *lol* Well for this draft I'll keep them as is, but I may change it in final edits!!

(hooray for enlightenment)

Reaction score
Personally, I use --- to indicate scene breaks.

---

I've never had an agent criticise me for it. So long as it makes sense and not over the top.

Would work too.

And I jumped on board with everyone about the italics issue. Short and sweet win's fair agent's heart!

That's original. I've never seen a scene break like that. :)

I've always done flashbacks and 'letters' in italics. For my current novels flashbacks and letters are a big part of them (my MC has amnesia and when things are revealed it's often through a letter or a short flashback). I never thought they were hard to read (for me personally, but I also don't seem to get screen fatigue), now you all have me worried *lol* Well for this draft I'll keep them as is, but I may change it in final edits!!

(hooray for enlightenment)

I remember only adding letters between my characters in 5 of my works and what I do is center them and write them in capital letters because that's what I've seen in other books. Thanks for the suggestion, though. That is a great idea.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
if it's more than a line to two then no. Italics are very hard to read and the last thing you want is for someone to be annoyed with three pages of iltalics.

That said, the publisher will make that decision when it comes to formatting. So I wouldn't worry about it.

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Must say, this all sounds rather odd to me, I've never had a problem with reading italics and don't skip text just because it's printed in italics. Maybe this is some kind of "overcritical writer" quirk or conceit, I dunno. Just bizarre.

-Derek

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Must say, this all sounds rather odd to me, I've never had a problem with reading italics and don't skip text just because it's printed in italics. Maybe this is some kind of "overcritical writer" quirk or conceit, I dunno. Just bizarre.

-Derek

I think a lot of it depends on the size print, as well. I do have a hard time getting through lengthy italics, and it has nothing to do with being overcritical. It has to do with headaches :tongue

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I think a lot of it depends on the size print, as well. I do have a hard time getting through lengthy italics, and it has nothing to do with being overcritical. It has to do with headaches :tongue
That there's a good solid logical reason, which I can cope with. :)

Tho' text size doesn't tend to vary in novels just because there's a switch to italics. If I can read non-italic text, I can read italic text too.

-Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.