location, location, location

peyton67

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, folks-
I have a general question about use of a real location in a novel or work of fiction- Disney World, etc.
Is this a violation of copyright? Is this allowed? If I wrote a novel that took place in Disney World, or Sea World, might I get sued?

I have seen such works that are not published by the company, but thought I'd ask the experts!
Thanks,

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Business names and such are protected by trademark, not copyright. That aside, as long as you aren't trashing the company in question or alleging wrong doing, you should be fine. Publishers have lawyers on hand to vet for problems, so you'd be notified whether anything needs to be changed, or cleared with the company in question.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It's fine. Just don't accuse Dinsney World or being in league with the devil, or of secretly kidnapping and torturing visitors.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Business names and such are protected by trademark, not copyright. That aside, as long as you aren't trashing the company in question or alleging wrong doing, you should be fine. Publishers have lawyers on hand to vet for problems, so you'd be notified whether anything needs to be changed, or cleared with the company in question.

Trusting a publisher's lawyers might not be a bad idea for some small item that could be changed in a minute or two, but it's a horrible idea when it involved the entire setting or plot.

If the plot depends on something that needs changed, or if the entire setting is wrong, the only thing you'll get from a publisher's lawyer is a second hand rejection.

You need to know what you can and can't write about before you submit a novel, before you even write the novel, not after.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
It's fine. Just don't accuse Dinsney World or being in league with the devil, or of secretly kidnapping and torturing visitors.

James we talked about this. Those guns were real!