PDA

View Full Version : Music

Talihashi
04-10-2010, 01:41 AM
So I was wondering how many people listen to music while writing to help them concentrate? And what types of music if they do. I have a hard time concentrating on writing with all the noise that goes on around me. So i try to drown it out some with calm soundtrack music. Like the soundtracks for Searching for Bobby Fischer, Glory, Batman Begin's and Braveheart.

Lisa Cox
04-10-2010, 01:56 AM
Like you, I need music to drown out the noise around me. My playlist is a mad mix of genres, but I favour classic rock and other genres from the fifties through to the seventies. Ms Joplin owns my soul at the moment.

ebennet68
04-10-2010, 02:39 AM
I almost always listen to music while I'm writing. Sometimes it's classical, sometimes rock, sometimes country, etc. I find that it really does a lot for me and gets the creative juices flowing.

Linda Adams
04-10-2010, 02:55 AM
I don't listen to music when I write--I actually find music very distracting. TV is easier to tune out. The neighbors had some kind of party last week, with the volume turned up. Couldn't write at all. Too hard to concentrate at all.

Shadow_Ferret
04-10-2010, 03:03 AM
Isn't this topic a sticky somewhere, because it comes up like every other week?

But besides using music to drown out exterior noise, I use it to drown out interior noise. There's a highly distractible part of my brain and I need to keep it occupied with good music or it'll drag me away from writing to do something else.

semmie
04-10-2010, 04:59 AM
...I use it to drown out interior noise. There's a highly distractible part of my brain and I need to keep it occupied with good music or it'll drag me away from writing to do something else.

And a holy, hallelujah-amen to that.

The type of music, though, depends on whether I'm actually writing or brainstorming or whatnaught. For actual pen and paper writing, I almost always need music without singing, something calming and inspirational (Vivaldi is great; or any acoustic Phil Keaggy); but if I'm brainstorming, mapping, reviewing, etc, I need something heavy and engaging (Dimestore Prophets or Breaking Benjamin, usually).

Kitty27
04-10-2010, 05:08 AM
I not only listen to music,I create soundtracks for each series.

Music really gets me going and my genres range from Tupac to Mozart to Bauhaus.

Kateness
04-10-2010, 05:09 AM
Currently, I'm on a VNVNation kick; I've got 4.5 hours of them on my playlist

kaitlin008
04-10-2010, 05:11 AM
I don't listen to music when I write--I actually find music very distracting. TV is easier to tune out. The neighbors had some kind of party last week, with the volume turned up. Couldn't write at all. Too hard to concentrate at all.

This is me. I get too wrapped up in the music. I can sort of ignore all the other random background noises, because I'm used to it.

ebennet68
04-10-2010, 05:23 AM
but if I'm brainstorming, mapping, reviewing, etc, I need something heavy and engaging (Dimestore Prophets or Breaking Benjamin, usually).

Love me some Breaking Benjamin! By the way, I love the Wordsworth quote on your signature.

Jamesaritchie
04-10-2010, 05:38 AM
I sometimes listen to instrumentals, ranging from classical to new age, but I greatly prefer listening to Old Time Radio programs when writing. I love the old radio dramas, comedies, horror, suspense, and SF programs, though the mysteries are usually my favorite.

I most often lister to Crime Time here: http://www.otrnow.com/otrnow/

Devil Ledbetter
04-10-2010, 05:43 AM
Ah, the weekly music thread. What would AW be without it?

Welcome to AW!

Talihashi
04-10-2010, 05:45 AM
I have a really hard time concentrating with any background noise other then whats natural. So a lot of the time when I want to write I get stopped because people are watching movies, tv shows or playing video games with the volume blasting. Calm music without lyrics does help me get through this at times but its still distracting. Any ideas on how to get past this?

eurodan49
04-10-2010, 06:16 AM
In my office upstairs, I’m listening to opera. In my office, downstairs, yea, I have two, I’m listening to Beatles, well, maybe some Led Zeppelin. In the living room there’s always some piano concerts: Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin, List, Tchaikovsky, you get the idea, In the library, the only smocking room besides my garaje affice, there’s always jazz, the good old stuff. In my children’s rooms there’s noise, lots of it, they call it music but don’t ask me what kind. And in my bedroom there’s my wife, when she gets started she overpowers everything else in the house… so I go for a drive and play ‘60’s and ‘70‘s rock.

semmie
04-10-2010, 06:29 AM
Love me some Breaking Benjamin!
AAAAAAH! You're awesome. :)

By the way, I love the Wordsworth quote on your signature.
Thanks! And I love your avatar and user name! I'm rereading Pride & Prejudice right now.

Cliff Face
04-10-2010, 07:37 AM
I not only listen to music,I create soundtracks for each series.

Music really gets me going and my genres range from Tupac to Mozart to Bauhaus.

Woo! Bauhaus!

I mostly listen to Cradle Of Filth at the moment, though at some point I want to get the Lord of the Rings soundtrack...

willietheshakes
04-10-2010, 08:14 AM
I've made up a macro for this EXACT question!

Here it is:

Would someone, for the love of all that is holy, please make this topic a sticky!!!!

Anya S
04-10-2010, 08:38 AM
Depends on what I'm writing. Like PP stated above, I sometimes create a 'soundtrack' and the music inspires me as I write. Other times it's distracting.

mtrenteseau
04-10-2010, 08:49 AM
I find myself distracted by music, especially if it has words. If it's an instrumental piece I know well, I listen for every last detail. If it's a piece I don't know well, I listen for every last detail. :)

But I do sometimes listen to music before writing, to put me in the mood. I've put down about twenty pages of a story that has a contemporary plotline with flashbacks across the last one hundred years, so I'll probably put together some period music to help with the tone.

SirOtter
04-10-2010, 09:03 AM
Ms Joplin owns my soul at the moment.

Not a piece of your heart? ;)

I find music distracting when I write.

SirOtter
04-10-2010, 09:06 AM
I sometimes listen to instrumentals, ranging from classical to new age, but I greatly prefer listening to Old Time Radio programs when writing. I love the old radio dramas, comedies, horror, suspense, and SF programs, though the mysteries are usually my favorite.

I most often lister to Crime Time here: http://www.otrnow.com/otrnow/

I need as close to silence as possible when I write, but I listen to old time radio while driving. You can learn a lot about dialogue from OTR. Not necessarily the words, but the cadence and rhythm of dialogue.

Varthikes
04-10-2010, 01:40 PM
I listen to New Age and soundtracks mostly when I write.

DrZoidberg
04-10-2010, 03:05 PM
I listen to whatever I like at the moment. Right now it's these guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_pS46YRMIQ
http://www.dieantwoord.com/

It's on repeat. Spank Rock rules!

RosemaryWells
04-10-2010, 03:14 PM
I usually listen to music while I write. With my current WIP, I'm listening to a huge amount of Pearl Jam. I have 'Immortality', 'Nothing as It Seems', 'Indifference', 'Elderly Woman behind the Counter in a Small Town' and 'Dissident' on continuous loop. lol.

Music really helps me slip into the right frame of mind.

Jamesaritchie
04-10-2010, 11:02 PM
I need as close to silence as possible when I write, but I listen to old time radio while driving. You can learn a lot about dialogue from OTR. Not necessarily the words, but the cadence and rhythm of dialogue.

Yes, that's one of the things I love about it. I don't need silence when I'm writing, though sometimes I do love having everything quiet, which is why I often grab a backpack and head off to the woods to write.

But I think I can listen to old time radion and still concentrate on what I'm writing because of the cadence and rhythm of the dialogue.

shaldna
04-11-2010, 01:30 AM
I get distracted with music. I like to have the discovery channel on in the background while I write. Especially documetaries about the ocean

Greeble
04-11-2010, 02:16 AM
No way! Music is the tool of Satan! And since that guy visits me for coffee at least twice a week already, I'll pass.

Cliff Face
04-11-2010, 11:41 AM
I'm considering buying a second mp3 player and putting purely "writing" music on it, and keeping it by my laptop. I bought the soundtrack to Fellowship of the Ring yesterday. Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but I've ripped it and it'll be going on the mp3 player soon. I'm planning on doing as much writing today as I can (I feel particularly inspired - it's not that I wait for inspiration, but when it comes I let my dreams and aspirations propel me forward post-haste) so I don't doubt I'll hear some of the tracks as the random function brings them up.

It's harder for me to write when music is playing on the stereo as opposed to the mp3 player - I think it has something to do with being surrounded by the sound, but also the fact that I'm physically attached to something lying limp on the couch beside me may have something to say about my not getting up and getting a drink, or going for a smoke, or going to the bathroom, not until I absolutely have to.

I think I'll spend a good portion of tomorrow ripping all my CDs onto this laptop and sorting out which albums I want on my writing player, and which ones I want on my "travelling on the bus" player. I get paid tomorrow, and I've managed to save $40 this fortnight, so I'll definitely at least check out prices of mp3 players tomorrow at the shops when I go. If I remember. Which I probably won't, not until the last minute when I'm sitting there waiting for the bus that will come in 5 minutes and I pull out my current player and go, "Oh, right. Well, no time now, unless I want to wait an hour for the next bus."

Le sigh. I have rambled, and it was good. So spoketh the Avatar of the Cliff.

:)

LilliCray
04-12-2010, 07:38 AM
No way! Music is the tool of Satan! And since that guy visits me for coffee at least twice a week already, I'll pass.

:roll: (Sometimes, a smiley is all the expression one needs...)

I used to not be able to, but now I can. And do. All the time.

I'm in a J-pop phase right about now. Japanese music is freaking awesome! My playlist currently consists of opening and ending songs to some anime series, and right now "Koyoi Tsuki ga Miezu tomo" is stuck in my head. For some reason that song makes me want to write.

I go through music phases a lot. I expect by next week I'll have rotated to Parade or Ragtime or the soundtrack to The Man in the Iron Mask... sometimes unpredictability is annoying.

RemusShepherd
04-12-2010, 07:30 PM
I have tinnitus -- a ringing in my ear, that often manifests itself as songs that get stuck in my head. Which means if I don't listen to music, I find myself hearing music anyway from within my own brain. That's brainpower that could be put to better use, so I put real music on.

As for what I listen to, it depends on the story. I choose a different 'soundtrack' for every story I write. Usually the lyrics are something that one of my main characters could sing. My last novel was influenced by the music of Killola and The Action Design -- angry, violent female rock music, which fit my main character perfectly.

Tatiana
04-13-2010, 01:32 AM
I basically HAVE to wear my headphones and listen to music while writing, if I'm at my computer. It's located in the living room, where my husband's computer, the television, and the phone are also placed, so the 'ambient noise' distracts me too much otherwise.

But I listen to a wide variety of stuff. During NaNo, I listened only to Idle Warship's "Party Robot" album on repeat (for all 100k words) -- not because it had something to do with my story but simply because it was my favourite thing to listen to that month ;)

Greeble
04-13-2010, 02:09 AM
I have tinnitus -- a ringing in my ear, that often manifests itself as songs that get stuck in my head. Which means if I don't listen to music, I find myself hearing music anyway from within my own brain.

That doesn't sound like any form of tinnitus I have heard of. I have tinnitus too, by the way, and I hear this high whistling sound all the time.

stormie
04-13-2010, 02:20 AM
I know I've posted about this several times, but can't remember what I said.

So, at the risk of repeating myself or contradicting myself, when I do listen to music while writing, it depends: Writing romance--Andrea Bocelli. Writing horror--background music from the game Ravenhearst--the Return (or something erie).

But most of the time I don't listen to music.

lisalulu09
05-03-2010, 08:16 PM
I have to have music playing; mainly albums on repeat, but sometimes I'll listen to music tv, YouTube or last.fm.

What plays depends on the scene, though it helps if I can sing along for some reason. At the moment, All Time Low and Selena Gomez & The Scene are proving very inspirational, and Owl City will be at one point, I expect.

Margarita Skies
05-03-2010, 10:51 PM
I usually go to play.it and listen to a radio station of my favorite artist, like Christina Aguilera for example and they play Christina's music as well as music from other artists similar to her, and in addition to that I created two other stations of my own with my favorite artists.

Billingsgate
05-04-2010, 09:05 AM
Putting on headphones (real encompassing-the-ear headphones, not inner-ear buttons) triggers a tunnel-vision response in me, helping my writing focus. Often I forget to even turn on sounds.

I listen to binaural beats when writing. First, it's excellent white noise to cut out all outside noise, and secondly, it supposedly helps align your brainwaves (though I'm not sure how true that is).

I couldn't imagine trying to write with Christina Aguilera playing. How can anyone concentrate on writing words when a bunch of repetitive words are being shouted in your ears?

Cliff Face
05-04-2010, 09:21 AM
I'd much rather listen to Christina Applegate. :)

IDGS
05-04-2010, 10:21 AM
I use YouTube quick playlists as the soundtrack for my writing - along with satelite radio Sirius Channel 11 - BBC Radio One - also available online.

DnB, Dubsteb and house set the mood for energetic hammering, whereas grunge gets the gritty parts out for me.