PDA

View Full Version : Threatening letters sent to 30 governors

MattW
04-03-2010, 03:30 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/03/us/03threat.html

Governors across the country said Friday that they had received letters from an extremist group warning that that they might be forcibly removed from office if they did not step down within three days. Officials from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/f/federal_bureau_of_investigation/index.html?inline=nyt-org) and the Department of Homeland Security (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/h/homeland_security_department/index.html?inline=nyt-org) confirmed that they had sent out an intelligence note with information about potential threats made to governors by a group calling itself Guardians of the Free Republics.

On its Web site, the Guardians of the Free Republics sets forth a plan to “restore America.” It describes the plan as “a bold achievable strategy for behind-the-scenes peaceful reconstruction of the de jure institutions of government without controversy, violence or civil war.”

Gretad08
04-03-2010, 03:35 AM
I'd loooooove to know what a "behind-the-scenes peaceful reconstruction" actually entails. I assume it goes something like this:

"You must step down."
"No."
"Why not?"
"I don't want to."
"But why?"
"Because I'm good at my job."
"No you're not."
"Yes I am."
"No you're not."
"Yes I am."

and it'll keep going like that until somebody's head explodes.

Shadow_Ferret
04-03-2010, 03:36 AM
Wait. THey believe in "peaceful reconstruction ... of government without controversy, violence or civil war" and yet they warned governors that "they might be forcibly removed from office if they did not step down within three days"???

I'm confused.

Gretad08
04-03-2010, 03:38 AM
Wait. THey believe in "peaceful reconstruction ... of government without controversy, violence or civil war" and yet they warned governors that "they might be forcibly removed from office if they did not step down within three days"???

I'm confused.

My bold:

So are they.

MattW
04-03-2010, 03:43 AM
Threats of violence aren't the same as actual violence. I can hold up a gun and tell someone to beat it, but if I don't actually shoot them, perhaps there's a twisted way I can rationalize that to myself.*

That's splitting hairs, but, to reference one of P&CE's old arguments, it's what keeps us paying the IRS.

*ETA - Not what I actually believe, but I can see the mental process to get there.

billythrilly7th
04-03-2010, 03:47 AM
Please tell me that David Patterson was one of the governors. Please.

He's the worst.

mscelina
04-03-2010, 03:57 AM
Isn't Patterson almost done anyway?

And despite my well-known and oft-publicized loathing of Ted Strickland, I have nothing to do with these letters.

clintl
04-03-2010, 04:03 AM
This sounds like one thing Arnold could handle.

Romantic Heretic
04-03-2010, 04:32 AM
It describes the plan as “a bold achievable strategy for behind-the-scenes peaceful reconstruction of the de jure institutions of government without controversy, violence or civil war.”

:D

Who do they think they're kidding? They can't wait to rock and roll.

Plot Device
04-03-2010, 04:44 AM
30 out of 50??

These guys must REALLY be unhappy!

mscelina
04-03-2010, 04:45 AM
It would have been thirty one but Palin resigned.

There you go, folks. I Palined the thread this time.

Slushie
04-03-2010, 04:53 AM
Guardians of Free Republics?

Why does that sound like "Hitler Youth"?

And now the Godwin (http://www.henrico.k12.va.us/HS/godwin/) is out of the way.

Death Wizard
04-03-2010, 05:06 AM
This sounds like one thing Arnold could handle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyPJBJCU28I

Ken
04-03-2010, 05:22 AM
... bad acid?

Kaiser-Kun
04-03-2010, 05:31 AM
They might be forcibly removed from office

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qvJeATp31dw&hl=es_ES&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qvJeATp31dw&hl=es_ES&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Death Wizard
04-03-2010, 05:33 AM
<EMBED height=385 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=480 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/qvJeATp31dw&hl=es_ES&fs=1& allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

Ha!

defcon6000
04-03-2010, 07:42 AM
On its Web site, the Guardians of the Free Republics sets forth a plan to “restore America.” It describes the plan as “a bold achievable strategy for behind-the-scenes peaceful reconstruction of the de jure institutions of government without controversy, violence or civil war.”

But according to Jefferson:
“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.”

:tongue

Kaiser-Kun
04-03-2010, 07:45 AM

But according to Jefferson:
“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.”

Man, this guys fail at everything.

Kateness
04-03-2010, 07:50 AM
a bold achievable strategy for behind-the-scenes peaceful reconstruction of the de jure institutions of government without controversy, violence or civil war

huh. So they think that everyone is going to just up and say 'sure, cool, whatev'. Because if they don't, I'm pretty sure that counts as controversy. Interesting.

jennontheisland
04-03-2010, 07:54 AM
Well, civil war and violence are the only other option, right? So nice of these guys to do it the non-violent and non-civil-war way. Very considerate.

And wft is with Kun and his Fresh Prince video as a response to all threads?

blacbird
04-03-2010, 07:59 AM
Isn't Patterson almost done anyway?

Patterson indeed is "almost done". He's abandoned an attempt at election, which isn't really re- election, since he wasn't elected Governor in the first place. He was an accident, and at best a reminder that when you go to the polls to vote, PAY ATTENTION. Lieutenant Governors may be obscure and have little real authority, but dammit, every now and then they succeed to the big office via some mischance, as Patterson did, and as did what's-her-name Swift in Massachusetts a few years ago.

Now, it doesn't always work out bad. This happened in my state just a year ago, when Sarah What's-Her-Name abruptly resigned "for the good of the people of Alaska", in her own words. Turns out almost everybody thinks she was right. She was succeeded by a relatively little-known, relatively standard Republican with a bland personality and little in the way of big ideas, at least so far, and most people, both Repubs and Dems, are fairly happy with him.

But these posts where a person can be suddenly elevated to higher office, without voter approval, via death or resignation or impeachment of the person above, are important and should be treated as such.

caw

Shadow_Ferret
04-03-2010, 08:09 AM

Or it might have been 29, but Palin resigned.

blacbird
04-03-2010, 08:14 AM

You beat me to it, but at least I was thoughtful enough not to mention her surname.

caw

Ken
04-03-2010, 08:48 AM
... perhaps they've put a letter aside for her in the event she becomes president.

astonwest
04-03-2010, 11:00 PM
She was succeeded by a relatively little-known, relatively standard Republican with a bland personality and little in the way of big ideas, at least so far, and most people, both Repubs and Dems, are fairly happy with him.
And people think I'm strange for wanting candidates that aren't interested in having big ideas and making wide-sweeping changes...see, they make people happy. ;)

blacbird
04-03-2010, 11:18 PM
And people think I'm strange for wanting candidates that aren't interested in having big ideas and making wide-sweeping changes...see, they make people happy. ;)

Well, only when they combine those traits with some semblance of sanity and competence. By no means always the case (google Herbert Hoover).

caw

StephanieFox
04-04-2010, 04:46 AM
They sent one to Pawlenty, too. He's not running for gov again, he's running for pres. Is that what this guy means?

Slushie
04-04-2010, 04:52 AM
They sent one to Pawlenty, too. He's not running for gov again, he's running for pres. Is that what this guy means?

ugh. Pawlenty. I get the feeling he puts his political ambition before policy--i.e. he'd gladly swing to the way, way right if it meant more votes, even though he started out as relatively moderate governor.

I doubt he'll make it past any Republican primaries if he tries. He doesn't have enough pizzazz and zap. The GOP can't afford to have another half-living candidate run for Prez.

robeiae
04-04-2010, 05:55 AM
Bobby Jindal also got a letter, apparently. I'd like to know which governors didn't get a letter.

Some sources are saying that every governor got one. Kinda like a sweepstakes mailing...

ETA: Linky (http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2010/0402/Guardians-of-the-free-Republics-tied-to-Texas-radio-station).