Summer Convention Schedule -- Who will be where?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Who's going to be where this summer? Would love to hook up with one or more of you!

I'll be at:

Romantic Times, Columbus, OH - 4/28-5/2
On tour (!) for Blood Song, various places in southern and western states - 6/4-6/25 More later when we know stuff.
RomCon, Denver, CO - 7/9-7/12
Dragon*Con, Atlanta, GA - Labor Day weekend, 9/3-9/6

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
I'm skipping cons this year and paying down some credit cards. It makes me sad, but it must be done. Sigh.

Ambri

Plotting something
Registered
Reaction score
Second star to the right, straight on till evening
Wow, I didn't know there WAS one in the Denver area. That's where I live. That would be really cool, if I could work it into my budget. So . . . dumb question . . . I'm not published yet (I have one WIP at about 85-90% done). I'm going to try to submit it by May, but I presume that I would still be considered unpublished by July . . . so, I would sign up as a "reader/ aspiring author"? The rules and regs on the RomCon website said I wouldn't be able to "promote" or "sell" with as a "reader," though. So . . . would I still be able to "network" with agents and editors and stuff? Sorry for all the noob questions . . . I've never attended a convention before.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Yes. You'd be a reader/aspiring. But oh, sure! You can network to your heart's content! That's part of the beauty of cons--meeting and greeting the editors, agents, authors and booksellers. This one is sponsored by Borders, so if you plan to sell to one of the majors that sell in their stores, meeting them now will be HUGELY useful to eventual sales. :D

Denver's my old stomping grounds so I'm really looking forward to it! I'll be renting a car on Monday to wander around and visit some old friends.

One of the big reasons I signed up for this con (other than the obvious wanting to visit) is that the cover artist of the book below, Rachel Davis, will be there. She's not only the photographer, but the model. She does self-portraits that she digitally manipulates. How cool is that?! :D

Last edited:

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
I would absolutely love to go to RomCon in Denver since it is so close (I live in Ft Collins) and I have never been to one. But no way can I afford it.

Ambri

Plotting something
Registered
Reaction score
Second star to the right, straight on till evening
Thanks, Cathy! That link was Exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to email it to myself, so I can find it again and print it or memorize it or what-have-you. Even though the Denver one is more geared toward romance readers, rather than authors, will there still be a time/ place where it's not a faux pas to "pitch" any editors/ agents I encounter? I'm so socially clueless . . .

CheekyWench

O.o
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elysabethwilliams.com
What is there to do at D*Con for writers? I know there are a few biggies going to be there to sign, (Charlaine Harris is one off the top of my head,) but honestly, I've only ever gone there because of the gaming, comics, and general debauchery.
So, what's on the writer's menu?

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Y'know, I honestly don't know! This will be my first D*Con because everybody said we simply HAD to do it with our first UF hitting the shelf in June. But people I've talked to say it's loads of fun for writers. More when I know it. :D

But no way can I afford it.

The admission or the hotel? 'Cause you can drive back and forth. It's just at DIA. Most cons let out pretty early so people can make dinner plans.

If 'the west' includes AZ, be sure and let us know.

From what I've heard, it may well. More as I know it. :)

If anyone hears of a con near Portland, OR

Well, "near" is sort of relative when it comes to conventions. How about this one: Emerald City Conference I have a lot of friends who attend and say it's awesome!

CheekyWench

O.o
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elysabethwilliams.com
Y'know, I honestly don't know! This will be my first D*Con because everybody said we simply HAD to do it with our first UF hitting the shelf in June. But people I've talked to say it's loads of fun for writers. More when I know it. :D

Oh it's TONS of fun. You'll have a blast, I'm certain! I just wondered what there was to do for writers...

(ya know, so I can convince the Dh I need to go there.. for.. er.. work... yeah :D )

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I'll be at RT as well, and at Dragon*Con again.

CheekyWench, there's tons of stuff for writers to do there! They have a specific Dark Fantasy track, with lots of writers; last year I ended up on, I think, five or six panels. We discussed everything from demonology to sex scenes. There were panels on specific creatures (vamps, weres, zombies) and on strong female characters, and on writing subculture characters, and all sorts of different craft aspects, too. (There's also a Writing track, which focuses more on craft/business; our own Ann Crispin does a couple of very popular workshops there every year on those subjects.) Plus they do some author-specific interview hours (generally the big names get those; them, and a moderator/interviewer, who asks them questions then takes questions from the audience) or discussions on a particular writer's books or characters or world.

(Oh, romance isn't generally part of Dragon*Con's programming, though; while a few para romance authors are accepted as guests, in general the focus is on fantasy. Just FYI. :Shrug: )

There are also readings/Q&A sessions without a moderator. I had a reading; I read the second chapter of UNHOLY GHOSTS and answered some questions after. I have video of it but the footage of me actually reading is 20 mins. long, so I need to either figure out a way to split it to load it on YouTube or find a place to host it that doesn't have such a short time limit. I do have a short video of me answering one of the questions that came up after, if you want to take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHg1o4345AA

(I'm just posting the link in case you want to see what kind of set-up there is; don't feel obligated to watch it or comment on it or anything. :) )

Plus there are some editors/agents who go there to speak about different aspects of writing or submissions, or about their upcoming releases/publishing programs. Plus other writers doing signings, and of course comic writers and artists, etc. etc. to hang out with. It's a total blast.

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
It's not a convention, just a writer's retreat but...is anyone going to the WRP retreat at the end of April in TX?

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
I won't be at National or RT. (Oh rats.) But I will be at Surrey International in Vancouver in late October to do workshops and presentations and suchlike.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
The admission or the hotel? 'Cause you can drive back and forth. It's just at DIA. Most cons let out pretty early so people can make dinner plans.

I wouldn't stay at the hotel, I could definitely drive back and forth. It is the admission price that is too much for me

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
I'm definitely doing RT next month and World Con (fantasy) in Columbus in October. I *may* be doing RWA since it's in Tennessee--maybe--and probably a couple of other smaller cons later in the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.