Votes: 5 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diviner

Registered
Reaction score
In some mysteries and thrillers, prologues show villains planning or doing fiendish deeds, or they might show a villain being abused as a child, or they might show some horrible event where the MC suffers a hideous loss which scars them. Some of these incidents could be woven in as back story. Others might just open the novel without the prologue. In historicals, the information in the prologue can set a scene, provide information relevant to the action of the story. Some people here say they never read prologues. I suppose they are interested in action as it develops, less so in its causes. Maybe they are rightly suspicious of writers who stick essential information into a separate spot.

It seems to me that prologues appear more often in contemporary genre novels. I always read prologues. They are usually well-written and part of the story, but I am beginning to wonder if they are lazy writing, if the writer just doesn’t want to weave the material into a back story.

What do you think of the artistry or lack thereof when writers resort to a prologue?

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In some mysteries and thrillers, prologues show villains planning or doing fiendish deeds, or they might show a villain being abused as a child, or they might show some horrible event where the MC suffers a hideous loss which scars them. Some of these incidents could be woven in as back story. Others might just open the novel without the prologue. In historicals, the information in the prologue can set a scene, provide information relevant to the action of the story. Some people here say they never read prologues. I suppose they are interested in action as it develops, less so in its causes. Maybe they are rightly suspicious of writers who stick essential information into a separate spot.

It seems to me that prologues appear more often in contemporary genre novels. I always read prologues. They are usually well-written and part of the story, but I am beginning to wonder if they are lazy writing, if the writer just doesn’t want to weave the material into a back story.

What do you think of the artistry or lack thereof when writers resort to a prologue?

This is a topic that comes up a lot. A lot. Use the search function on the blue bar up top. Search for prologue. You'll probably find 4-5 threads from the last few months alone.

~suki

CheekyWench

O.o
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elysabethwilliams.com
Most of the books I've seen with a prologue are pieces of the whole puzzle. It may be a relative's background or myth relating to the story. Usually, they are stories that don't really fit into a particular scene or something the characters could chat about.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I think it all depends on the story. If there's something vital to the story but disconnected (time-wise, location, etc) from the rest of the story, or it sets up the overall question that the rest of the story will answer, then a prologue can be very effective and necessary. On the other hand, I've read a lot of prologues that were nothing but historical references or details about the location of the story, like the writer felt the need to "educate" the reader before they'd be able to read the story. So what little bits of those were necessary could've gone into the main story.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Why does it have to be a prologue- why can't it be chapter one?

EclipsesMuse

Questing
Registered
Reaction score
If it's a part that doesn't fit in the story why does the reader need to know about it?

Brukaviador

Registered
Reaction score
I don't use them myself but I can see a purpose to them. One in particular I'm thinking of showed a scene from the middle of WWII, then chapter one began in modern times (which I believe was the 90's when the book was written). The events of the prologue felt like a separate, unrelated story at first but as I got further into the book I began to see how the secondary characters motivations were influenced by the events from fifty years prior, and what effect that had on the main characters.

Like anything else, done poorly it's a waste of time but when done well I think it can be a remarkably effective storytelling tool.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Well, I have only contempt for people who skip prologues or other forms of introduction (unless it's the kind which just duplicates a scene from later in the book, those are pointless). The writer put it there for a reason, it's part of the book, skipping parts of any work of fiction is like saying you already don't particularly like or respect the book, you just want to get it over with.

I voted yes, other because I think the choice whether to have a prologue and whether to label it as such instead of chapter 1 should depend solely on what's appropriate and natural to the story's structure.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
No problems if it's well done. I've liked the prologues in Clive Cussler's books, as well as the Gears' Native American ones. Those fit well in the story as prologues and would be inappropriate being called Chapter 1--they're both in a very different time from the rest of the story. But I've also seen ones that I could have done without.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Yes -- if the info is absolutely VITAL to the story and you can't find any other way to include that information and you know exactly what you're doing.

Most new writers don't--along with quite a number of experienced writers.

No -- if it's in just-because.

I skip them for being a waste of my reading time and start on chapter one, maybe going back for a look if I get to a slow bit in the story. If it's really important, then make IT chapter one.

I was forced to write one once as part of a work-for-hire job and hated it. The book was just fine without a prologue, but the editor was a pretentious sort and thought it "set the scene." As if I didn't do that in the 1st chapter. Humph.
icon8.gif

third person

She blinded me--with magic!
Registered
Reaction score
Just get into the damned story. I don't want to hear OHHH BUT IT'S IMPORTANT. Guess what? EVERY damned paragraph should be important. And I'm done.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
For the dozenth time this month, no, I don't like prologs. They don't need to be there. If they did, they'd be labeled "Chapter One". I skip them.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I have a prologue *ducks head from possible flying tomatoes* in my current novel, the reason why I chose to use the prologue approach is because yet it is vital to the story and as Diviner mentioned it is where the villian so to speak is doing something important, years before the actual story takes place. It gives the reader a small understanding of what is going on. I suppose to could have been a chapter one, but I thought since it was way in the past a prologue would be better.

Now I'd like to make reference to a book I just read... and for the people who think prologues are bad... this is worse.
How about reading a prologue then move to Chapter 1, Chapter 2, then go to a Interlude One, then a Chapter 3, Chapter 4, Chapter 5 Oh and just wait... Lets have an Interlude to Chapter 2!! Then 6, 7, 8 and holy shit let's jump back and have an Interlude 3!!! Now some one please tell me what the F**k that is, why the hell not have all these chapters in succesion, why jump back so to speak and have interludes? It was the most annoying this in the world.
So one little Prologue is nothing when compared to reading a prologue with stupid interludes last throughout the book.

EclipsesMuse

Questing
Registered
Reaction score
A good prologue, a real prologue is part of the story, but it's pre-story.

Ok, I guess I can see that. My problem is that most prologues I see in published books could be part of the bckstory filtered through the book or they are there to catch the reader up on previous books in the story.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just wondering - if they called it Chapter 1 instead of Prologue, would people still hate them and skip over them?

Just a little chain pulling ;)

PGK

They put those words in my head!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just wondering - if they called it Chapter 1 instead of Prologue, would people still hate them and skip over them?

Interesting. I just started reading Stephen King's "Insomnia" and it started with a prologue I didn't even know was one. After the dedication page it goes to a page that has the number 1 and the story begins. I thought I was reading chapter one, but when it was done the next thing was "Part 1" "Chapter 1."

Though I would never skip a prologue just because it said "Prologue." I'd read it with trust in the author, agent (if there was one), and editor, and then decide for myself if it was needed or not.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com

Labeling something Prolog is like putting up a big neon sign proclaiming that it's outside the normal flow of the narrative--because it is--and therefore it's almost impossible to get away with labeling it Chapter One instead. Personally, I'm glad people label them Prolog. Makes it that much easier to skip them.

DisobedientWriter

Kirsten Lesko
Registered
Reaction score
Website
disobedientwriter.com
I do not use them, but I am not hostile to others using them if they work.

Same here. I find that I skip over them to get to chapter one, but I almost always go back & read them at the end. I do think a lot of prologues out there could just be called chapter one instead, but some actually are proper prologues & should remain that way.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with prologues. They're as much a part of the overall story as chapter one.

In my current WIP, the prologue sets a tone that cannot be just "included" into the chapters. The power in the prologue comes into play later on in the novel. An "as you know, Bob," or little filtering bits just won't work, or would at least water down the impact.

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
i have to say that most of the prologues I've read in unpublished work (as a beta reader) were a waste of time and words.

And very few published prologues have done much better.

i'm in the 'lazy writing camp for the most part' on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.