Would someone please give me names of good publishers that don't require agents?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
The Best Place In The World...Absolute Write!!
Hello.

I am new here. I just started posting last night. This is a great place. I was wondering if someone will give me a list of good publishers that don't require authors to be represented by agents because it's hard for me to find an agent that doesn't require up-front fees. I have tried CreateSpace and LuLu, but I deleted my books from Lulu and as of Createspace I've considered not approving my proofs so that the book is not released yet. Does that seem like a good idea?

Please give me some good advice because I don't know what to do.
God bless
Magali.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Almost no reputable agents charge fees. They are paid with a percentage of your advance and royalties.

For fiction, the current standard order of operations goes something like this:

-write a book
-rewrite the book
-edit the hell out of the book
-have some highly literate someones read the book for you and recommend changes
-edit the book at least one more time
-query an agent who represents the type of book you wrote (you'll probably have to lather, rinse, repeat on this step at least several times, but maybe not if you're very good, very well-researched, and very lucky)
-agent agrees to take you on
-the agent shops the book to publishers
-publisher offers contract
-heaven and nature sings
-publisher pays agent, who takes probably fifteen percent and passes the rest on to you.

Some publishing houses will accept submissions without an agent.

What have you written? That will be vital in directing you toward any specific agent or publisher.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
1) What's your genre?

2) Any agent who wants a fee is a scammer.

3) Go to a bookstore. Find books similar to yours. Get the guidelines for those those publishers. If the publisher's guidelines say they require agented submissions, find out who represented those books you found in the bookstore, get those agents' guidelines, and follow them to the letter.

4) Write another book.

5) Starting with Lulu or CreateSpace isn't a good idea.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
4) Write another book.

This.

Any book already published with an ISBN is pretty worthless to agents and editors as you can't offer them First Publication Rights.

Write another book, make it even better and go buy a copy of W&A Yearbook.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone that replied. I've already changed the status of my books 2 of them in CreateSpace to Incomplete so those are going nowhere. I will follow your advice. My genre is fiction and I would classify it as drama.

Love
Magali.

Drama is more of a movie genre than a book genre. When you go back to pitch editors (or agents), you'll probably want to find a genre more standard within the publishing genre.

Ms Behaving

It's always something
Registered
Reaction score
This.

Any book already published with an ISBN is pretty worthless to agents and editors as you can't offer them First Publication Rights.

What is an ISBN? Are blogs considered an ISBN?

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
An ISBN is the number you find printed above the barcode on the back of the book. It's impossible to sell a book through retail without an ISBN.

It's a sales thing, nothing to do with blogs.

Reaction score
Ok, this is stupid, but the two books that I previously put on Create Space I might as well put them back on again and use word-of-mouth to promote them and then finish my other manuscripts and not give them to anyone 'til I find a good agent. Luckily for me, this has only happened with 2 books. Putting them back up on that site and having them on Amazon and then doing a little promotion on them, I think, is better than just having them lying around in my computer without any exposure after I worked so hard on them. Each book is over 450 pages, in 8.5 x 11 form. Go figure. Can't just throw that away.

Thanks to everyone though. I will follow your advice on my new books.
Love
Magali.

analias

Square Training Wheels
Registered
Reaction score
Can't just throw that away.

It's just possible (okay likely) that I don't know how this works but... if they were never sold/published couldn't you pull them down and submit them to actual publishers and agents? That's not "just throw[ing] them away" that's taking a different road. Or did they not get caught soon enough and you've already lost first publish rights?

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
1) What's your genre?

2) Any agent who wants a fee is a scammer.

3) Go to a bookstore. Find books similar to yours. Get the guidelines for those those publishers. If the publisher's guidelines say they require agented submissions, find out who represented those books you found in the bookstore, get those agents' guidelines, and follow them to the letter.

4) Write another book.

I'd do this if I wuz you.

Ms Behaving

It's always something
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your help CaroGirl and gothicangel
I have trouble deciphering some of the acronyms people use in their posts.
I am always going to the The Absolute Write Dictionary in FAQ's.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
The number one reason anyone buys a book is that they read and enjoyed something else by the same author.

The converse is also true. Making anything that isn't publishable available just in order to Have It Out There risks having someone read it, discover that it's ... not very good ... and never again reading anything that you write.

How do you know if your work is publishable? Find someone who's willing to give you money up front to publish it.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
James has it right (as well he should -- he's a career writer and he knows what he's talking about.)

Most writers finish a few novels before they write one that's really worth selling. The first are practice. Valuable, but just a warm-up for The Real Deal.

You can and should throw your fledgling efforts away -- or at least throw them in your sock drawer until you've learned more of the craft. Then you can go back and revise them, and turn them into novels you can sell to real publishers.

It sounds like you have a lot to learn about the publishing industry. Don't be discouraged! We all start out knowing nothing about it, and learning any new skill or niche is fun! You've come to a good place to get sound, realistic advice on the industry.

kangolNcurlz

Registered
Reaction score
The converse is also true. Making anything that isn't publishable available just in order to Have It Out There risks having someone read it, discover that it's ... not very good ... and never again reading anything that you write.

Oh, so true.

Reaction score
Last night I spent the whole night thinking about how to reply to your comments without offending you because I don't intend to do that at all. You are very nice people. However, I must tell you that some of these comments have made me feel that I can't write. You said something about my work not being publishable. Well, I don't think that's true because everyone who has ever read anything I've written says that it's great. Again I don't mean to offend you because I love you all but that's how I feel.

Thank you for everything, though.
Love
Magali Fuentes.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
You said something about my work not being publishable.

Nobody said that. They said that nobody knows for sure if their work is publishable until it's actually selected for publication--and that work which has already been self-published is only incredibly rarely selected for commercial republication.

As for finding an agent who doesn't charge fees, look at AgentQuery.com and QueryTracker.net, as well as the "Bewares and Background Checks" subforum here. There are literally hundreds of legitimate agents in the US, none of whom charge their clients fees.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
No-one here is trying to say your work isn't good. How could we know, since we haven't read it? I really don't understand why you wouldn't want to try to get an agent as your first step towards publishing, though. A lot of agents do queries by e-mail now, which is completely free, and those who still insist on paper queries only cost you the price of a stamp (if an agent is asking for any money beyond this, RUN, do not walk, away). A lot of the biggest and best publishers no longer accept unagented submissions, so working without an agent shrinks your possibilities considerably. Yes, agents do charge a percentage fee of your advance and royalties, but would you rather have 100% of nothing or 80-85% of a great publishing deal?

Most good agents will also work with you to get your book as good as it can possibly be for the publisher. They have an intimate knowledge of the market and of what each publisher is looking for, and are thus able to recommend changes from a place of knowledge that no writer, beta reader, or freelance editor can hope to match. This alone may make the difference between a publisher accepting or rejecting your book.

There are some large publishers who still accept unagented submissions (at least, several of my target publishers did last time I checked, which was a while ago), but they have massive slush piles which usually result in response times of 8 months or more, and accept extremely few of the unagented submissions they receive. Taking all this into consideration, I can't see why directly querying a large publisher would be anything but a last resort.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Last night I spent the whole night thinking about how to reply to your comments without offending you because I don't intend to do that at all. You are very nice people. However, I must tell you that some of these comments have made me feel that I can't write. You said something about my work not being publishable. Well, I don't think that's true because everyone who has ever read anything I've written says that it's great. Again I don't mean to offend you because I love you all but that's how I feel.

Thank you for everything, though.
Love
Magali Fuentes.

There isn't a day when I have thoughts that I can't write and the work isn't publishable. Now I've been writing for 10 years with poetry, articles and essays published. It's the novel that has eluded me.

If you're having doubts about whether your good enough, that's great. It means you care and you'll work hard to improve - just like I did. What is worrying is when new writers think they can produce a bestseller in draft one and don't think they have anything to learn.

Reaction score
There isn't a day when I have thoughts that I can't write and the work isn't publishable. Now I've been writing for 10 years with poetry, articles and essays published. It's the novel that has eluded me.

If you're having doubts about whether your good enough, that's great. It means you care and you'll work hard to improve - just like I did. What is worrying is when new writers think they can produce a bestseller in draft one and don't think they have anything to learn.

No, I am not having doubts about whether or not my work is publishable. If I had doubts, I wouldn't show it to anyone. I would keep it in my computer, but I have showed other people and they've said that they liked it. That's how I know that I am not a bad writer, otherwise I would've quit writing a long time ago, but I've actually been encouraged to keep writing. I will take your advice on my other books that I haven't published yet... Luckily for me I've only published 2 of my books, and not all the books I have... but I thank you for your feedback. I thank all of you and I love all of you and respect you. I always will. If any of my comments have offended any of you, my sincere apologies.

Love
Magali.

Reaction score
One more reply, I know I'm not the next Danielle Steel or the next Stephenie Meyer, but I don't think I'm the worst writer in the world, either, and thinking that I am a good writer, which I do because other people have told me so, many people... does not mean that I don't care about the quality of my writing and that I'm not willing to improve, so with all due respect I completely disagree on that comment.

Thanks and have a great night.
Love,
Magali.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Magali, what people are trying to say is that you could potentially be shooting yourself in the foot by attempting to promote your two stories this way. If they're not avaliable yet those stories could be sold in the future. That's not wasting them, that's making sure they DON'T get wasted! Once a story has an ISBN and is out there that's it. You wouldn't be able to sell that in the future unless you did end up being the next Steel or Meyer, because publishers are seldom interested in second publishing rights. It has nothing to do with whether the story's good or not. The folks here speak in generalities, so please don't take too much offense :) It all comes in the interest of giving a new writer like yourself the best possible chance to see success in your writing career. Thinking that self-publishing books will help a writing career is a big myth, one that's a little too propagated on the internet. Being unpublished is far better than being self-published ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.