US giving up the "war on drugs"?

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
The Independent is full of thoughtful articles today.

Here's one that claims that the US is giving up its war on drugs.

After 40 years of defeat and failure, America's "war on drugs" is being buried in the same fashion as it was born – amid bloodshed, confusion, corruption and scandal. US agents are being pulled from South America; Washington is putting its narcotics policy under review, and a newly confident region is no longer prepared to swallow its fatal Prohibition error. Indeed, after the expenditure of billions of dollars and the violent deaths of tens of thousands of people, a suitable epitaph for America's longest "war" may well be the plan, in Bolivia, for every family to be given the right to grow coca in its own backyard.

I would be pleased if that was so, but I don't know enough about it to make a judgement about it.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to think it may be true, but the investment in the drug war is stupendous, and the constituency is huge. Militarized police forces and thousands of new jail cells per year will hardly be needed for traffic offenders.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
Police are using controversial car-surveillance technology aimed at catching criminals and terrorists to target members of the public in order to meet government performance targets and raise revenue, The Independent on Sunday can reveal.

That's what happens when you tell the police to go arrest more people. They will do so...

I don't think the US war on drugs is any different.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, one piece of encouraging news on this front is that a California Assembly subcommittee this week voted in favor a bill to put the legalization, regulation, and taxation of marijuana on the California ballot as an initiative. It's not going any farther at the moment because the legislative session is ending, but it's a first step.

Slushie

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
That's good news. Just like with gay marriage, it's the states that are taking the initiative on this issue, while the feds squabble. Last time I checked, fifteen states have decriminalized weed. Unfortunately, my state isn't one of them. But it's good to see that the DEA could possibly be on it's way out; this will take a long time. As Don pointed out, there's a lot of money in the correctional system and those interests won't go away quietly. Still, we're moving in the right direction.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I get the sense that a lot of people here, on all points of the political spectrum, share a significant degree of general agreement on this issue.

Now, go listen to what the Pat Robertsons and John Hagees and James Dobsons and Ted Haggards have to say about it. Not to mention that bastion of purity about the abuse of illegal drugs, Rush Limbaugh.

Then you'll understand another of the major obstacles to be overcome.

caw

AryaT92

Banned
Reaction score
11865_1376584374455_1227212143_31935208_2088403_n.jpg

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Reducing the spending on trying to stop the overseas production of drugs is good, as that seems to be a very futile part of the War On Drugs.

But other parts are quite profitable for local and federal law enforcement, such as the forfeiture laws. Anyone found with large sums of money on their person or in their car gets the money (and probably the car too) confiscated with the reasoning that the only reason someone would have large amounts of cash is to use for drug dealing. Groups such as the ACLU have complained that this is an egregious rights violation, much like aspects of the more recent Patriot Act. I can see where this sort of thing could still go on, as harder drugs continue to be "highly" illegal. Confiscation of property, especially when it is only suspected to have a connection with illegal drugs, is a "profit center" for law enforcement that they may be reluctant to give up.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
While I was a kid, my hometown liked to take cars stolen--I mean, confiscated from so-called dealers and rebrand them for service as cop cars. These cars often had text painted on their sides proclaiming them as such, plus some lame slogan like "deal drugs, lose your car".

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
And forgive my ignorance, but why does the drug monster have an alligator clip head? I'm reminded of Bender abusing electricity on Futurama.

AryaT92

Banned
Reaction score
If you're referring to the roach of a blunt, does anyone use that clip??? If not, nevermind.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you're referring to the roach of a blunt, does anyone use that clip??? If not, nevermind.

Not everyone smokes blunts. Not a big fan, myself. But, regular joints, sure, lots of people use clips to keep fom burning their fingers as they pass it about or hold it. Or, um, so I'm told.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
If it's not your prescription, oxycontin is illegal.
No, it's the illegal use of a drug, not the use of an illegal drug. I'm not just picking nits here. In the context of this thread about the War on Drugs and legalizing illegal drugs like marijuana, the difference is important.

Legalized marijuana is still illegal to use without a prescription. And yet we are talking here about "legalization, regulation, and taxation of marijuana".

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, it's the illegal use of a drug, not the use of an illegal drug. I'm not just picking nits here. In the context of this thread about the War on Drugs and legalizing illegal drugs like marijuana, the difference is important.

Legalized marijuana is still illegal to use without a prescription. And yet we are talking here about "legalization, regulation, and taxation of marijuana".

You're still missing something, I think. If you do not have a prescription for a prescription narcotic, it is just as illegal for you to have as crack, or heroin. So, it's exactly the same as having medical marijuana without a prescription. So, yeah, Rush was arrested for illegal drugs. I'm not seeing the difference you seem to be seing. Maybe, I'm dense today (yeah, that's it, just today:))

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
You're still missing something, I think. If you do not have a prescription for a prescription narcotic, it is just as illegal for you to have as crack, or heroin. So, it's exactly the same as having medical marijuana without a prescription. So, yeah, Rush was arrested for illegal drugs. I'm not seeing the difference you seem to be seing. Maybe, I'm dense today (yeah, that's it, just today:))
Okay, let me try again.

Alcohol is a legal drug, and yet it is illegal to use it if you are under the age of 21. If a minor uses alcohol, that does not make it an illegal drug. Again, in the context of this thread, if that were so, "legalizing marijuana" would not be legalizing it at all, as long as there are some controls on it.

And in Rush's case, he wasn't arrested for "illegal drugs". The charge was "fraud to conceal information to obtain prescriptions". That doesn't make it okay, but it is far different from being arrested for possession of illegal drugs.