PDA

View Full Version : A downward trend?

Newport2Newport
12-06-2009, 08:23 PM
I just read an interesting piece in the (UK) Times Online: "Publishing House jobs go as celebrity books fail to sell." It's about the UK market, but perhaps it's instructive for us, as well.

"The lustre of celebrity memoirs, possibly the most reviled literary genre in history, is fading as publishers voice their alarm over returns from books that have been “authored” by star names to whom they have paid vast advances."

Read the entire article here (http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/article6941605.ece).

Have you read speculative/definitive articles about memoir sales in the US? Not only (ghost)written books about celebrities, but also memoirs about "ordinary" people with extraordinary stories to tell? If so, please pass along the link.

Bluegate
12-06-2009, 11:21 PM
Sorry Newport I have not read anything like you describe but I do have an opinion...which I will be more than happy to share. heheheh

I think that what it comes down to is extraordinary story telling. Personally I can't stand the animal that celebrity becomes when it is all growed up. I couldn't bring myself to read a celeb memoir. I also get quickly bored with someone telling me their extraordinary story if they are just throwing the info at me and letting the extreme nature of the events take the place of good story telling. I can easily read someone telling me what they had for breakfast if they do it well.

All that personal preference now said my point is this: I think that the shine of celebrity and shock memior has begun to tarnish and it will be the stories that are well written that survive. I mean honestly, there is a lot of crap out there and some of it really needs to be cut.

Chrisla
12-07-2009, 08:47 AM
We can only hope.

Wayne K
12-07-2009, 08:56 AM
I don't find many celebrities all that interesting.

the addster
12-07-2009, 07:48 PM
I wonder if most folks have figured out that there is no need to read celeb memoir. All the good stuff is going to be all over the net and the TV entertainment shows anyway. Why bother?

Wayne K
12-07-2009, 07:49 PM
And they don't write the book, most anyway. I read for the writing.

Bluegate
12-08-2009, 01:31 AM
Addster has a point. You almost have to find an obscure person to find a fresh story. Hey...now that's starting to look like odds in our favor!