The conspiracy theory that refuses to go away

ReallyRong

Registered
Reaction score
Apologies for the long rant here, but indulge me if you will. This may have been reported on here before, but I haven't seen it so am posting. It relates to the reasons for invading Iraq when Saddam was running the country, and the infamous "Weapons of mass destruction" that he supposedly possessed. At the time, over here in the UK, Tony Blair's government was trying to drum up support for a foreign incursion that was receiving little domestic support. Suddenly a report came out that not only did Saddam have these weapons, but that they could be deployed against British targets (military bases in Cyprus as it turned out) within 45 minutes. Not long afterwards BBC radio reported a story from an unnamed source saying that this was a load of rubbish, the spin doctors had "sexed it up" and there was no valid reason to invade Iraq. This caused a huge legal argument between the BBC and the government which the government won. It subsequently turned out that the unnamed source was a civil servant named David Kelly who was a weapons inspector and probably knew a lot more than anyone else. The spin doctors set about him, he was called into a parliamentary commitee and well, the next thing he was found dead, apparently having commited suicide. And that's where this story begins really, because nobody believes that he actually commited suicide, despite a whitewash enquiry. Link below.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...uest-death-weapons-expert-prove-murdered.html

ReallyRong

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I was hoping for a response of "Oh, this is how these things work. How did George W do the same thing to us?" but obviously it's not a big enough story for you guys...

Prozyan

Are you one, Herbert?
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I was hoping for a response of "Oh, this is how these things work. How did George W do the same thing to us?" but obviously it's not a big enough story for you guys...

Or . . . its like . . . ya know . . . a conspiracy theory?

Prozyan

Are you one, Herbert?
Registered
Reaction score
You mean the one that says six doctors believe he was murdered and are trying to force a "real" investigation?

Yup. Read it.

Still conspiracy theory. Will be until they have something concrete.

Over here, people still believe we never landed on the moon, Lyndon Johnson arranged Kennedy's murder, and Roswell is a massive coverup. And they are filing lawsuits all the time to "prove" it all.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
I don't see anyone denying it's a theory. But, at this stage, that seems to be all it is.

Stateside, what the WMD folks need is for someone to show that this actually happened, and that Pres. Bush got his intel from Mr. Blair. Then it can be ALL THEIR FAULT! :)

As a friend from Manchester likes to say, "Not bloody likely."

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
Interesting One.
Soon as i heard of the banker hanging form Blackfriar bridge my instincts were 'foul play' - same with this one.
Strange the mail are involved (right wing publ.) as M16/M15 may be fingered.
Wonder if an investigation will be opened - but not sure what impact the truth - if there is another truth - will have.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
The thing is, RR, the problem with conspiracy theories is that none of them go away.

ReallyRong

Registered
Reaction score
The Daily Mail???

Reputation wise, how do they fare?

Okay, wise one. You got me and I stand defeated. Seriously. Not only by you but the general indifference on this board to a war that was not only a form of Greek tragedy where the son avenges his father's dishonour, but one that was built on lies. But the British tabloids (even the Daily Mail) have their moments when the editor realises that he's been deceived, and I'm a great believer that what goes around comes around, and that one day those people who caused the death of so many innocent people will receive their justice. Call me naive if you want.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Don't mistake this for indifference.

We all care a great deal about the war and the death, destruction and loss of property that it has caused. That still earns a load of discussion (just look at Haskin's thread about Obama's plan for Afghanistan) and debate.

Unsupported conspiracy theories written in the DAILY MAIL, a known hate-rag...well, that'll give us a big eh.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
The thing is, RR, the problem with conspiracy theories is that none of them go away.

Well there's con. theories and there's con. theories...

Just bec. one is paranoid doen't mean...

;)

Have to admit, this one always interested me, will be waiting and watching with an open (ish) mind

ReallyRong

Registered
Reaction score
The problem with the Daily Mail is that it's not ALL rubbish. Some of it (but i have to admit not a lot of it) is worthy. Can you really tell me that 6 doctors trying to publicly get this case re-opened is a bad thing and not worthy of discussion?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
The problem with the Daily Mail is that it's not ALL rubbish. Some of it (but i have to admit not a lot of it) is worthy. Can you really tell me that 6 doctors trying to publicly get this case re-opened is a bad thing and not worthy of discussion?

It depends on the doctors. There are some doctors I wouldn't trust with my spare change, let alone my body (or the future of my country).

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Not only by you but the general indifference on this board to a war that was not only a form of Greek tragedy where the son avenges his father's dishonour, but one that was built on lies.

You've been around since Aug of 2007, you should know that "indifference" is not a word associated with any war around here, particularly this one.

I'm with Paul. I'm interested and will be paying attention, as I have in the past. But right now this theory is up there with the ones surrounding Princess Diana.

ReallyRong

Registered
Reaction score
The power of the Dick was boundless.

I like that line and might steal it from you sometime, but it's kinda come from left or right field somewhere. Unless I'm the powerful Dick, but I'd rather not go there. It's late over here and I'm off up to bed now.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
99.9% of major conspiracy theories founder on the shoals of Occam's Razor.

That having been said, I always have this one caution: The single major event in my lifetime that was vociferously denounced as a crazy conspiracy theory, and turned out to be true, provable, and proven, was the Watergate scandal, 1972-1974.

It foundered because it had too many participants (a dozen or so major ones), and eventually some of them faltered under legal pressure. Which is another lesson: a conspiracy theory that involves countless hundreds or even thousands of people in multiple major governmental agencies is mathematically absurd at the footings.

caw

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
It foundered because it had too many participants (a dozen or so major ones), and eventually some of them faltered under legal pressure.

Not to mention a president too stupid to turn off the tape recorder when he was conspiring.