PDA

View Full Version : Unicorns and Pegasi

Rhys Cordelle
10-25-2009, 03:48 AM
Is there an established name for a unicorn/pegasus cross? That is, a winged horse with a unicorns horn? Or does no such thing exist in mythology?

Sevvy
10-25-2009, 03:52 AM
Unisus! Pegacorn? Any combination sounds kinda ridiculous, but I think that if it has a horn you call it a unicorn no matter what, or a winged unicorn if there is more than one kind in your setting (one with and one without wings). At least, that's how I've seen it done elsewhere.

veinglory
10-25-2009, 03:54 AM
It isn't a traditional creature, so you could probably make up your own name? Perhaps Pegakeros.

MattW
10-25-2009, 04:17 AM
Pegapotamus.

Rhys Cordelle
10-25-2009, 04:30 AM
Yeah combining the names is a bit meh :S

I'm still not sure if these will feature in my novel. I was also considering a winged white tiger :-)

Canotila
10-25-2009, 06:27 AM
Yeah combining the names is a bit meh :S

I'm still not sure if these will feature in my novel. I was also considering a winged white tiger :-)

You could make it a winged white liger, bred for it's skills in magic. ;)

Sage
10-25-2009, 06:32 AM
There is a name. It's something like alicorn. I will look it up.

Sage
10-25-2009, 06:42 AM
Okay, so alicorn appears to be the name of the unicorn's horn. But also has been applied to winged unicorn in some fiction.

Brutal Mustang
10-25-2009, 06:45 AM
I would just call it a winged unicorn.

Smiling Ted
10-25-2009, 07:19 AM
I would call it "too cutesy to live." In Latin.

But seriously, folks...
"Unicorn" is the name of a type of creature. "Pegasus" is the proper name of a particular beast. Your best bet would be to create a Latin term for "flying one-horn."

Rhys Cordelle
10-25-2009, 12:16 PM
[QUOTE=Smiling Ted;4185518]I would call it "too cutesy to live." In Latin.
QUOTE]

Fair enough >< That's what I was afraid of. But the more I think about it, the more I like the flying tiger ';..;'

Vomaxx
10-25-2009, 09:15 PM

:tongue Very good.

Xelebes
10-25-2009, 10:39 PM
Avicorn maybe?

Shadow_Ferret
10-25-2009, 10:45 PM

Why do people think unicorns are cute? Hardly cute when that 20" long horn explodes out of someone's chest in a spray of blood and gore. ...Or are my killer unicorns rare?

Sage
10-25-2009, 11:00 PM
Why do people think unicorns are cute? Hardly cute when that 20" long horn explodes out of someone's chest in a spray of blood and gore. ...Or are my killer unicorns rare?
Well, there's a new book out about killer unicorns in the YA section: Rampant.

Smiling Ted
10-26-2009, 12:08 AM

Not "cute." "Cutesy." Like dolphins under rainbows on a poster in your little sister's room, next to the photo of the New Kids on the Block.

Willowmound
10-26-2009, 01:39 AM
Pegapotamus.

= spring river. ?

Rhys Cordelle
10-26-2009, 01:50 AM
Not "cute." "Cutesy." Like dolphins under rainbows on a poster in your little sister's room, next to the photo of the New Kids on the Block.

Stop, please stop! I'll never be able to write about unicorns again! lol

MumblingSage
10-26-2009, 04:18 AM

I just remember the cover of "The Last Battle" in my set of the Chronicles of Narnia. A very pretty unicorn, with its horn dripping blood...

Yeah, I think they're all killers, too. Although that doesn't mean they can't frolic under rainbows in their spare time, or rinse the blood from their horns in showers of Liquid Sparkles & Happiness.

defcon6000
10-26-2009, 04:40 AM
You would think the horn is there because unicorns evolved a way to defend themselves (they're not cowards who'll run away :tongue).

Could call them 'wings of death'.

Rebekah7
10-26-2009, 11:16 AM
How about a unicorn that has skeletal bat wings, venomous fangs and a serrated horn that it uses to disembowel virgins? It's would smell of death and waste and it would have organs embedded in the long mats of its blood stained fur? - There...I think that takes care of the "cutesy" quotient.

You should call them Kannuz's. That's a mixture of the Turkish words for wing and horn. At least I think it is. Google may have lied.

Sai
10-26-2009, 07:43 PM

http://www.dorkingout.com/images/pbf.jpg

jinkang
10-26-2009, 08:12 PM
I knew all that surfing was for something. Here you go: The Killer Unicorns (http://thebooksmugglers.com/2009/08/killer-unicorns-attack-joint-review-rampant-by-diana-peterfreund.html) [thebooksmugglers.com].

DeleyanLee
10-26-2009, 08:20 PM
Originally, unicorns were vicious and the only thing that could tame them, even momentarily, was a virginal (ie: pure) girl. Her purety would captivate the evil in the beast and allow the hunters to slay it and harvest the horn, which was believed to have very strong medicial qualities.

So the legend goes, of course.

Unicorns looked more like goats than horses, originally, with a beard, slittled pupils in their eyes and a long tail with little tufts of hair sticking out at odd places as well as the at the end. Somewhere along the line, they got translated into horses (probably about the same time angels all became beautiful women, probably) with horns instead of the fearsome creature it used to be.

Irishgirl
10-26-2009, 09:58 PM
"Unicorn" is the name of a type of creature. "Pegasus" is the proper name of a particular beast. Your best bet would be to create a Latin term for "flying one-horn."

Thank you! Yes, Pegasus was supposedly the last one. I suppose you could say he mated with a unicorn and the resulting creature is what you have and no one really knows what to call it. :D But, I would call it a winged unicorn.

JimmyB27
10-29-2009, 10:43 PM
I'd make up a whole new term. Like how a horse/donkey cross isn't a honkey or a dorse, it's a mule or an ass.

Hummingbird
11-02-2009, 03:40 AM
It makes me mad when people hear that I like unicorns and they assume I mean the happy-prancing-rainbow-pony type. Yeah, they are cute, but unicorns can be so much more than that.

Anyway, I have also heard people use the term Alicorn for winged-unicorns, even though it is the material of the unicorn's horn. Apparently someone used the term Alicorn for a winged-unicorn in a book and it caught on. I don't remember the author or book at the moment.
I usually just call them winged-unicorns or horned-pegasi, but I agree with JimmyB27 in making up a whole new term. Maybe your term would be the next to catch on. ;)

Rhys Cordelle
11-03-2009, 02:58 AM
I quite like the sound of Alicorn, lol. But I'm unlikely to use it.

Gynn
11-03-2009, 05:56 AM

Speaking of, is there a proper name for dolphins with unicorn horns and angel wings?

Rhys Cordelle
11-03-2009, 06:33 AM
That would be a Winged Narwhal

bettielee
11-04-2009, 03:11 PM
I have coined the term Pegasaur, and will hunt down and kill anyone who tries to take it from me.

:)