The Meaningful Thread

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
dear sweet aadams suggested I start this thread, (yes you can blame her) and okay so here it is.

share something meaningful, uplifting or down right sentimental.

I love my kids. *sniff* all three of them went out of their way today, to make me laugh myself silly. They always seem to know when I need them. Nothing majorly new going on, just life.

okay, your turn. (yes I mean you aadams) ;)

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was dropping my 8-year-old off at the bus stop this morning when he leaned back into the car and thanked me (again) for buying him new shoes. What an appreciative little sweetheart he is.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
:ROFL: Since I asked...

Today I was waiting at PF Changs for my food(I was getting my order to-go,) and I began chatting to the guy waiting on me about the weather. It poured like crazy today and he was concerned because he had to pick up a new suit that night for a wedding he's attending tomorrow afternoon/evening. He was desperate for everything to be perfect because he's planning on proposing to his girlfriend after the wedding.

He started telling me how he'd connected with her on Facebook of all things(he's 39, she's a few years younger,) she was a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend, and it turned out she'd been a freshman at his highschool when he was a senior. They started talking, and now 9.5 months later he's determined to make her his.

Anyway, when he started talking about this woman, he just came alive. There was such joy and passion in this guy that I just stood there and smiled and listened because that's just not something you see every day. This guy was radiant.

And it was wonderful. And I know it's not MY meaningful story, but in a small way I'm forever altered by his happiness. :)

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
I was dropping my 8-year-old off at the bus stop this morning when he leaned back into the car and thanked me (again) for buying him new shoes. What an appreciative little sweetheart he is.

Aww...that's priceless....what a good kid.

My 18 year old and I have been going the rounds lately. So much so that three days ago, I was praying he'd just move out.

He had the day off today, and I woke up to him cleaning the entire basement. It's 1200 square feet. And given I had sanded my office desktops down and restained and varnished them, one room was a disaster...but he put together the wet dry vac and vacuumed. He did all kinds of stuff for me today and when he left to go sleep over at a friend's house he said he'd be back at 10 am to mow our lawn and help out some more.

I know it's just his way of making up for being so difficult lately.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
:ROFL: Since I asked...

Today I was waiting at PF Changs for my food(I was getting my order to-go,) and I began chatting to the guy waiting on me about the weather. It poured like crazy today and he was concerned because he had to pick up a new suit that night for a wedding he's attending tomorrow afternoon/evening. He was desperate for everything to be perfect because he's planning on proposing to his girlfriend after the wedding.

He started telling me how he'd connected with her on Facebook of all things(he's 39, she's a few years younger,) she was a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend, and it turned out she'd been a freshman at his highschool when he was a senior. They started talking, and now 9.5 months later he's determined to make her his.

Anyway, when he started talking about this woman, he just came alive. There was such joy and passion in this guy that I just stood there and smiled and listened because that's just not something you see every day. This guy was radiant.

And it was wonderful. And I know it's not MY meaningful story, but in a small way I'm forever altered by his happiness. :)
Priceless. Joy is contagious. You and Devil have added to my day. THANK YOU!

Last edited:

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Priceless. Joy is contagious. You and Devil had added to my day. THANK YOU!

You're welcome. :)

Life is a funny, funny thing. Sweet moments hide in the unlikeliest of places.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
A couple of weeks ago, my husband came home from work with a brand new Robin action figure (see avatar). He ordered it online and had it delivered to the office, just so he could give it to me. No reason in particular, no anniversary, no special occasion. He just knew I'd like it so he got it as a surprise. I like Robin, but I like my husband even more. :)

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago, my husband came home from work with a brand new Robin action figure (see avatar). He ordered it online and had it delivered to the office, just so he could give it to me. No reason in particular, no anniversary, no special occasion. He just knew I'd like it so he got it as a surprise. I like Robin, but I like my husband even more. :)
I love random acts of thoughtfulness. They seem even more meaningful than those attached to an occasion.

I bet he got a big hug and smooch for that one. ;)

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
The Jets beat New England and the Giants are slated to go to the Super Bowl.

*sniff!* Even now, it still gets me all choked up.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
The Jets beat New England and the Giants are slated to go to the Super Bowl.

*sniff!* Even now, it still gets me all choked up.
We are so grateful, today, that BF has participated. *claps* GREAT moment sharing! woohoo!

What? sports can be meaningful too, ya know. ;)

Last edited:

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I bought my wife three bras the other day (really good ones at Victoria's not so Secret place). You'd have thought she'd won the lottery or something.

See, she won't spend a hundred bucks on comfort for herself, but I will. :)

And that gesture seemed to have tremendous meaning for her...

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
I bought my wife three bras the other day (really good ones at Victoria's not so Secret place). You'd have thought she'd won the lottery or something.

See, she won't spend a hundred bucks on comfort for herself, but I will. :)

And that gesture seemed to have tremendous meaning for her...
Of course it means a lot to her.

1. Her wonderful husband spent money on something she probably thought would be considered frivolous.
2. You let her know she's worth it.
3. and finally, you let her know you think she's sexy enough to wear them.

SK, you rule in my book!

Reaction score
I hope he got her size right...

*cough*

Neil Robertson's through to the semi finals of the GP.

What? WHAT? It's important to me.

Oh, you want something meaningful? Uh...well...

I gotta come back to this.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
SK's story illustrates how important it is to know the person you're giving a gift to. I think I would have burst into tears if my husband bought me some bras. Nevermind how nice. ;)

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
1. Her wonderful husband spent money on something she probably thought would be considered frivolous.

I think it's a habit of many women to not spend money on ourselves for things that might be perceived as frivolous. I know I'll spoil the man in my life when I have one, my sister, my friends' children, etc., and yet I'll overthink any purchase for myself that isn't a replacement item, and wind up not getting it in the end.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
share something meaningful, uplifting or down right sentimental.

My relatives suck. I always give people every chance but I've totally given up on these people. They do not mean us well. I immigrated with my family to Canada in July 2009 (my dad was already here). These relatives did the utmost to ensure that we receive as little information as possible.

Now, with the entire family in this country, there were some financial strains. Then, totally out the blue, my dad's friend called in one day and said that there was a vacancy at his office and that he'd reserved it for my mom. He wanted her to attend an interview at once. A hectic 24 hours later, she got the job and we're all the better off.

So I'd say that's really uplifting. My dad has known this guy for just a couple years and he helped us so much. But these close relatives are total opposites. Sometimes, total strangers may be your best friends.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I hope he got her size right...
That part was easy. I know her really well. :)

SK's story illustrates how important it is to know the person you're giving a gift to. I think I would have burst into tears if my husband bought me some bras. Nevermind how nice. ;)
The nice part is, she never expected such a gift. At first she acted like they were too expensive and I was out of my mind for the purchase. Afterward, though, she was happy for the "support." :)

One cool thing I've learned while bra shopping is that cup sizes have everything to with weight of the breast, and very little to do with size and/or shape.

Who would've known?

[/QUOTE]

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
That part was easy. I know her really well. :)

The nice part is, she never expected such a gift. At first she acted like they were too expensive and I was out of my mind for the purchase. Afterward, though, she was happy for the "support." :)

One cool thing I've learned while bra shopping is that cup sizes have everything to with weight of the breast, and very little to do with size and/or shape.

Who would've known?
I didn't know that! Thanks SK.

So in other news....um...did I mention my son called me today from college and we gabbed for an hour? He's so cool, now that he's not a teenager anymore. ;)

MoonWriter

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
My son is a junior in high school. He said "Hey" to me today. I just had to share.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
My 6 year old daughter was watching me cut up potatoes for dinner, and said, "I love potatoes. I'd marry a potato. But I couldn't sleep with a potato because I might roll over on it and get potato all over my shirt."

It made me so happy to be a mom. :D

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
There's a recording of this out there on the InnarWebs somewhere, for anyone who can find it (and yeah, as a matter of fact I DO have the legal right to post all these words here):
This song is gonna be a good song
This song is gonna be fine
This song is gonna be a great song
I know it's good 'cuz I know it's mine.

This love is gonna be a good love
This love is gonna be fine
This love is gonna be a great love
I know it's good 'cuz I know you're mine

(bridge)
Through trials and tribulations and vexatious agitations
I had to go and find my own way
The cheats, the thiefs and liars nearly got the best of me
I learned to live life the hard way

This life is gonna be a good life
This life is gonna be fine
This life is gonna be a great life
I'll live it right 'cuz I know it's mine.