PDA

View Full Version : Um... facebook?

Lisa Cox
10-02-2009, 01:08 PM
I'm sure the topic of facebook has been batted around here since the dawn of time, but...

I can't figure it out! Well, I can, kind of. Maybe. It's all a bit like walking down the procrastination red light district, and I'm just trying to figure out how it can be useful.

So what I really need are some 'friends'. I could start adding people I haven't spoken to for ten years, next door's dog-walker, the SO's hairstylist and my mum -- but I'd rather stick to the people with whom I have things in common (ie. writing).

So where can I find you? I don't mind if you're 10% writing, 90% random RL. I just care that the people I friend will see me write things like this -- 'CH10 NEEDS CONFLICT, LESS TELL, WILL BE LONG NIGHT' -- and know what the hell I'm going on about.

So where can I find you? I'm here, I think... http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000308440361&ref=profile Did I do that right? o.0

In other news, I had the fleeting idea I could find my long-lost (to me) father on Facebook, seeing as he doesn't even know he has a grandchild. So I typed in his name and fifty squillion results came up, even when I filtered. Bah. Too much effort.

ETA: My 500th post was about facebook? Dammit.

Wayne K
10-02-2009, 01:13 PM
I have two facebook friends, my nephews. One is twelve and the other is eight. I feel so popular :D

Lisa Cox
10-02-2009, 01:16 PM
What's the facebook lingo for hooking up? You know, adding someone.

Whatever it is, let's do that. We can be unpopular together.

thethinker42
10-02-2009, 01:32 PM
It's called "friending" someone. :D

I have a rather large menagerie of friends on FB because I use it to keep up with everybody: family, friends, classmates, writer friends, etc. Since we live so far away from everyone, it makes it easier to keep up. Plus, I can put more pics on a FB album than on my blog.

I ignore most of the apps and quizzes and crap, so it hasn't been as much of a time vampire as it could be. and my friends and family are pretty well-accustomed to random writing-related status messages ("X,000 words done today", "aiming for X,000 words on this WIP, need to line-edit that WIP, got another form rejection", etc etc et).

It's also been nice for whoring out my book. :D

Wayne K
10-02-2009, 01:33 PM
I hear it's nioe for good old fashioned whoring too :D

Wayne K
10-02-2009, 01:37 PM
I don't even know how to use the thing. I just went to it after reading this thread, and found there's an inbox. I didn't know there were private messages. Apparently, I was invited to have pizza friday night in July sometime. I'm going to show up tomorrow clueless-like, and get that damned pizza.

thethinker42
10-02-2009, 01:49 PM
I hear it's nioe for good old whoring too :D

I haven't tried that particular app. ;)

It's also created new opportunities for awkward moments between family members. These are actual screenshots from my Facebook wall...

Read this one from the bottom up...the blurred out name is one of my cousins:

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i177/thethinker42/FBfunnyblur.jpg

---------------------------------------

Read this one from the top down. Dave is a friend, Betty is my mom...

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i177/thethinker42/FBwallfunny.jpg

Gotta love it.

KTC
10-02-2009, 01:58 PM
Oh Lori...you really captured that one. (no pun intended) I too have relatives AND weird friends. That's a funny status thread there. Really shows one of the truths about facebooking.

I really like having that more frequent connection with faraway relatives. And most of my relatives are faraway. (-;

Wayne K
10-02-2009, 02:11 PM
I haven't tried that particular app. ;)

It's also created new opportunities for awkward moments between family members. These are actual screenshots from my Facebook wall...

Read this one from the bottom up...the blurred out name is one of my cousins:

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i177/thethinker42/FBfunnyblur.jpg

---------------------------------------

Read this one from the top down. Dave is a friend, Betty is my mom...

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i177/thethinker42/FBwallfunny.jpg

Gotta love it.

Wait till your family finds out about me :D

fringle
10-02-2009, 02:46 PM
I'll be your friend. I added you. You'll get used to it quickly and find that it's rather handy and fun.

truelyana
10-02-2009, 02:47 PM
I think am on it to give exposure to my blog and at the same time keep in touch with my AW buddies, close family members, and one or two friends who I like pestering. (the feeling is mutual)

I have just added you too - I'm the one with no picture.

scarletpeaches
10-02-2009, 02:57 PM
I've tried Facebook several times and really, really don't see the point of it. If I want to keep in touch with someone on the other side of the world, I email them. I don't need a separate website for that.

As for promotion of books? Feh. Email people. FB just seems to me like a public way of saying private things. If you can make your profile private so only 'friends' can see your photos, why not just email them the photos in the first place?

KTC
10-02-2009, 03:25 PM
I've tried Facebook several times and really, really don't see the point of it. If I want to keep in touch with someone on the other side of the world, I email them. I don't need a separate website for that.

As for promotion of books? Feh. Email people. FB just seems to me like a public way of saying private things. If you can make your profile private so only 'friends' can see your photos, why not just email them the photos in the first place?

your crustiness is duly noted.

Lisa Cox
10-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Yeah, I prefer old-school methods of communication (email, text, MSN -- lol 'old-school'), but I thought I'd give this new-fangled social-wotsit stuff a try.

If you ever re-join facebook, I'll totes write pervy things all over your wall.

KathrynLang
10-02-2009, 04:00 PM
I'm still learning Facebook - but I've struggled with finding friends outside my "forgotten circle" of school mates. I have started looking for the facebook link on some of my favorite blogs and then using those to meet others in the industry. I'm slowly building my friends in the writing and speaking industry and not just those from high school.

Lisa Cox
10-03-2009, 12:03 AM
I have started looking for the facebook link on some of my favorite blogs and then using those to meet others in the industry.

I'll be doing the same, I think. I can't add many of my friends/family because not a lot of them know I write, and writing's the reason I (eventually) joined FB. So I'll be looking at it as another way to keep up with the industry.

Liosse de Velishaf
10-03-2009, 01:44 AM
Eh, I'm on facebook and I have one friend. That friend has twelve friends. Most of them (and him) are writers. I don't facebook with any school friends or family, because they are not writers, and I think most of the apps are stupid. I can just call or e-mail them. I know another guy who has 187 friends on facebook, all from school. He doesn't do apps either, and very little wall-to-wall or messaging, so really not that much point there, he's found.

But for someone with content and or serious networking plans, it can be a good way to get some free publicity.

But anyway, someone friends me! Look for atsiko ureni.

Kitty Pryde
10-03-2009, 01:55 AM
There's a FB group called AW Addicts. There's a ton of us on there!
PS I am friending you!

katiemac
10-03-2009, 01:56 AM
I'll be doing the same, I think. I can't add many of my friends/family because not a lot of them know I write, and writing's the reason I (eventually) joined FB. So I'll be looking at it as another way to keep up with the industry.

If that's the case, you might want to put your energy into Twitter instead. On Twitter you can follow publishing houses, agents, published authors, editors and things like Publisher's Lunch. If you use it right, you can turn Twitter into a news/information feed about a specific industry. You can also meet lots of other writers very easily.

Facebook, in my opinion, is still very much a private (personal) networking tool. You won't, for example, be able to 'friend' an agent and get updates. (Unless she's your agent.)

Liosse de Velishaf
10-03-2009, 02:05 AM
If that's the case, you might want to put your energy into Twitter instead. On Twitter you can follow publishing houses, agents, published authors, editors and things like Publisher's Lunch. If you use it right, you can turn Twitter into a news/information feed about a specific industry. You can also meet lots of other writers very easily.

Facebook, in my opinion, is still very much a private (personal) networking tool. You won't, for example, be able to 'friend' an agent and get updates. (Unless she's your agent.)

Twitter is great, too. I've only just started using it, but the #queryfail discussion there (before I joined) was awesome. If anyone here has twitter, I'd be happy to follow them.

katiemac
10-03-2009, 02:15 AM
I haven't searched the queryfail hash tag, but that does sound amusing. Thanks for letting me know it exists!

Lisa Cox
10-03-2009, 02:28 AM
Yeah, Twitter's my next stop. Just want to get the hang of FB first. I figure I'd have to eventually (agents and publishers are always going on about 'facebook presence', which makes it sound somewhat important). It can't hurt.

I already keep well up to date with Google reader, so I'm not worried about using FB to keep up with the industry. I'm more interested in learning what all the fuss is about, if I'm honest! :D

Liosse de Velishaf
10-03-2009, 02:33 AM
Yay! I joined the aw addicts group on facebook. (I refuse to stoop to "fb", dammit!)

Also, I sent you a friend request, Lisa.:)

Er... confirmed your friend request.

Angela_785
10-03-2009, 02:57 AM
Oh, didn't know there was an AW group on Facebook! I'll have to check it out!! :)

Liosse de Velishaf
10-03-2009, 03:04 AM
Oh, didn't know there was an AW group on Facebook! I'll have to check it out!! :)

Yup, with about 219 members.

pink lily
10-03-2009, 03:18 AM
I've abandoned my Livejournal, Plaxo, Orkut, MSN Groups, OkCupid, YouTube and MySpace accounts, not to mention two blogs, so I'm not going to latch on to (or even try) Facebook, Twitter, Classmates, or whatever new social networking site that comes down the pike.

I'm old, I guess.

Rowan
10-03-2009, 03:26 AM
I'm sure the topic of facebook has been batted around here since the dawn of time, but...

I can't figure it out! Well, I can, kind of. Maybe. It's all a bit like walking down the procrastination red light district, and I'm just trying to figure out how it can be useful.

So what I really need are some 'friends'. I could start adding people I haven't spoken to for ten years, next door's dog-walker, the SO's hairstylist and my mum -- but I'd rather stick to the people with whom I have things in common (ie. writing).

So where can I find you? I don't mind if you're 10% writing, 90% random RL. I just care that the people I friend will see me write things like this -- 'CH10 NEEDS CONFLICT, LESS TELL, WILL BE LONG NIGHT' -- and know what the hell I'm going on about.

So where can I find you? I'm here, I think... http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000308440361&ref=profile Did I do that right? o.0

In other news, I had the fleeting idea I could find my long-lost (to me) father on Facebook, seeing as he doesn't even know he has a grandchild. So I typed in his name and fifty squillion results came up, even when I filtered. Bah. Too much effort.

ETA: My 500th post was about facebook? Dammit.

Yay, we're now friends on FB. I decorated your wall. Who else is on FB (from AW)??? :) I'm a FB moron but I'm trying... it's too much like work.

Wayne K
10-03-2009, 03:30 AM
I just joined aw addicts. It seems I also missed the people who want to friend you feature too. I now have many friends, but I can't figure out how to friend other people. I stink at computerising, so it'll take me a while to figure everything out.

Apparently, supermodels have also been searching for me with lusty intentions. Isn't that good news?

cscarlet
10-03-2009, 03:30 AM
*gasp* AW Addicts Group?!

(running to go look).

Lisa Cox
10-03-2009, 04:20 AM
Apparently, supermodels have also been searching for me with lusty intentions. Isn't that good news?

Feel free to send some my way if there are too many for you to handle.

Liosse de Velishaf
10-03-2009, 10:26 AM
I just joined aw addicts. It seems I also missed the people who want to friend you feature too. I now have many friends, but I can't figure out how to friend other people. I stink at computerising, so it'll take me a while to figure everything out.

You use the search function to find people and/or go to their page, and there will be some areas that prpompt you to "Friend" them.

JoNightshade
10-03-2009, 10:48 AM
Okay, I'm a facebook noob. Can someone tell me what happens if I join the AW Addicts group? I ask because I used facebook mainly for family and I don't want it to be too much of a time-waster. If I join am I like automatically "friended" to everyone in the group or something? What actually shows up on my main page?

Rowan
10-04-2009, 05:41 PM
Okay, I'm a facebook noob. Can someone tell me what happens if I join the AW Addicts group? I ask because I used facebook mainly for family and I don't want it to be too much of a time-waster. If I join am I like automatically "friended" to everyone in the group or something? What actually shows up on my main page?

I'm no Facebook Pro but I signed up for the AW Addicts page a few days ago and you aren't automatically "Friended" to anyone. It's just like any other link/page you join (remains listed on your Link/Page tab thing). You have to actually send Friend Requests to individuals just like you would for anyone else. The only thing that shows up on your Wall is a note that says "Jo joined AW Addicts" (and you can remove that link from your wall - erase it if you will.

Good luck!

Samantha's_Song
10-04-2009, 07:26 PM
I'm on FaceBook too. The strange thing is, I have my account so that only my friendslist can see it, and yet I say bugger all on there anyway, I say much more personal stuff here on AW. :D

But I do plague my page with music links from YouTube a lot of the time,

Rowan
10-04-2009, 07:37 PM
I'm on FaceBook too. The strange thing is, I have my account so that only my friendslist can see it, and yet I say bugger all on there anyway, I say much more personal stuff here on AW. :D

Same here! I have it set to private or whatever. FB seems a lot more secure than MySpace... I've gotten some strange messages and invites over there.

Samantha's_Song
10-04-2009, 07:46 PM
I get guys adding me as a friend because they've seen me on my friends' friendlists. I just write straight to the friend and ask them what the guy is like, if it's answered that he's okay, I'll add him. No skin off my nose, my profile states that I'm married and I have my hubby on my friendslist too, so they know it's not looking for lust from my side. :D
I have a good laugh with some of them too. The weirdest one was a bloke with a gun pointing at the camera in front of his face. It worried me a bit, I thought he was a redneck or something, but he's actually quite a nice fellow to talk to.
Same here! I have it set to private or whatever. FB seems a lot more secure than MySpace... I've gotten some strange messages and invites over there.

firedrake
10-04-2009, 07:48 PM

Tell me about it. :D

Damn you, I'm addicted to Vangelis' Prelude now.

Samantha's_Song
10-04-2009, 07:56 PM
But at least I put something on there that you actually like. Like I said at the time, it's good writing music, it conjures up brilliant images. :)
Tell me about it. :D

Damn you, I'm addicted to Vangelis' Prelude now.

firedrake
10-04-2009, 07:58 PM
But at least I put something on there that you actually like. Like I said at the time, it's good writing music, it conjures up brilliant images. :)

Yup, and if the WIP is ever made into a film, I want it as the theme.

Rowan
10-04-2009, 07:59 PM
I get guys adding me as a friend because they've seen me on my friends' friendlists. I just write straight to the friend and ask them what the guy is like, if it's answered that he's okay, I'll add him. No skin off my nose, my profile states that I'm married and I have my hubby on my friendslist too, so they know it's not looking for lust from my side. :D
I have a good laugh with some of them too. The weirdest one was a bloke with a gun pointing at the camera in front of his face. It worried me a bit, I thought he was a redneck or something, but he's actually quite a nice fellow to talk to.

There are some strange ones out there... no doubt! Can't you delete people you've added if they turn out to be a nuisance or total nutjobs?

Samantha's_Song
10-04-2009, 08:03 PM
Yes, just go to your friendslist and press the X on the right hand side against each of their names.
There are some strange ones out there... no doubt! Can't you delete people you've added if they turn out to be a nuisance or total nutjobs?

Wayne K
10-05-2009, 04:05 PM
Now I have so many friends it would take me a week to read all the stuff that comes up.

Celia Cyanide
10-05-2009, 08:01 PM

I'll tell you why...it's because you don't really know who wants to see them and who doesn't. You may think you know, but you don't. I have someone in my friends list who is a director I auditioned for once about a year ago. Any time I get new photos done, he comments on them and always asks when I'm doing new ones. If I only emailed my new photos, I never would have thought I should send them to him, but he likes to see them. Likewise, my close friends might be interested in my photos, but they don't want me to email them every single time I do a photo shoot.

If you have a blog, facebook can be a good way to promote it. When you update your blog, you can post it as a link, and people who have you in their newsfeed will check it out.

And of course you can email people to promote your work. But with facebook, I get friend requests from all over the world. Lots of them are interested in my work, even though I don't have them in my address book.

I did not know there was an AW group! Will someone invite me to join?

Kitty Pryde
10-05-2009, 08:32 PM
Now I have so many friends it would take me a week to read all the stuff that comes up.

If you have friends who are prone to frequent annoying updates ("I'm at the coffee shop watching cute boys!" "I'm at Disneyland!" "Disneyland is full of cute boys!" "Going out to dinner with cute boys lol!" "Back at the coffee shop! Lots of hot guys!") you can hide their status updates from your home page.

Mouse over the offending person's update. On the right side of it the word 'Hide' appears. Click it and then select 'Hide [Person's Name]'.

You can also hide those really stupid facebook programs if you want, but still get status updates from people who use them. If they are using a program, "Annoying Farm" or whatever, Click 'Hide' then select 'Hide Annoying Farm'.

Rowan
10-07-2009, 02:40 AM
If you have friends who are prone to frequent annoying updates ("I'm at the coffee shop watching cute boys!" "I'm at Disneyland!" "Disneyland is full of cute boys!" "Going out to dinner with cute boys lol!" "Back at the coffee shop! Lots of hot guys!") you can hide their status updates from your home page.

Mouse over the offending person's update. On the right side of it the word 'Hide' appears. Click it and then select 'Hide [Person's Name]'.

You can also hide those really stupid facebook programs if you want, but still get status updates from people who use them. If they are using a program, "Annoying Farm" or whatever, Click 'Hide' then select 'Hide Annoying Farm'.

Thank you, I was wondering how to do that!!!!!!!!!!! :)

LordDelusions
10-10-2009, 11:58 PM
This is a debatable topic. I get friend requests from people I never heard of. And I kinda leave them hanging.

Wayne K
10-11-2009, 12:10 AM
'.

Why in the heck would I want to block that?

S.C. Denton
10-12-2009, 08:03 AM
I'm just starting to utilize Facebook as a platform for my humble lil monthly blog, but other than chatting with my sister, other family members, and old friends from time to time, I can't seem to tear myself away from that freakin' Mafia Wars.

I was also unaware that AW had a group on Facebook. I go now to add it, and search for my two AW friends. I hope you don't mind, I'm gonna add you too LisaMarie. If everyone accepts I'll have like five writers as friends. Yippie. :D