I can't unring the bell.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I won't bore anyone with details. Short version: Book went live. Book wasn't ready. Book now has a life of it's own. I can't unring the bell.

Do I:

A) Say "Yeah for me!" and tell friends/family that it is now live.
B) Hang my head in sorrow and change my name.
C) Tell everyone that book is live and prepare to tell people to screw off when they harsh on it.
D) Stick head in oven.
E) Drink myself into stupor then get back to work on WIP.

Please all-knowing OP persons, share thy wisdom.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Yay for you and damn the torpedoes. Never hang your head for anyone, unless you're telling them how ugly their shoes are.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
By all means, tell everyone the book is live. Then, listen carefully to the comments made on your book and use them as fuel instead of fear.

Then, after a couple of days, sink back into your WIP and forget about it. Quite frankly, a writer can't really afford the luxury of wasting time on either a failure or a success.

And, in the end, don't be so hard on yourself. I doubt there's an author alive who is happy with their book right after it comes out. The first time I had a book released, i was reading through it on THE day--so excited that I finally had a book.

Then I found an error on page eleven. I didn't get out of bed for two days. This book isn't the end of your career. It's the beginning of the rest of it. Now relax and get your butt back to work.

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's only one real option there and that is number A.

Yeah for kaylea!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Oh. Good. God. Did you PA?

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
No. I iU'd, which I think is just as frightening.

No. I don't think so. I think it's a different ball of monkeys all together. I had a great experience with iU last year. Not me, personally...but I'll tell you what they did--which makes them aces in my book.

There was a posting here by Jenna, who used to own the site...asking if there was anybody interested in editing a fantasy manuscript for a wish foundation. They were going to have the manuscript published for a child whose wish it was to have his book published. I volunteered and I edited the manuscript. A very talented kid. I was pleased to be involved...showed much promise. Anyway...once I edited the 170,000 word manuscript down to I'm not going to tell you how many thousands of words...I sent it back to the wish foundation. iU published it...and sent the young author a bucket full of books for free. That, to me, was decent social conscience.

That is all.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No. I don't think so. I think it's a different ball of monkeys all together. I had a great experience with iU last year. Not me, personally...but I'll tell you what they did--which makes them aces in my book.

There was a posting here by Jenna, who used to own the site...asking if there was anybody interested in editing a fantasy manuscript for a wish foundation. They were going to have the manuscript published for a child whose wish it was to have his book published. I volunteered and I edited the manuscript. A very talented kid. I was pleased to be involved...showed much promise. Anyway...once I edited the 170,000 word manuscript down to I'm not going to tell you how many thousands of words...I sent it back to the wish foundation. iU published it...and sent the young author a bucket full of books for free. That, to me, was decent social conscience.

That is all.

Well THAT is a cool story. (And one seriously dedicated kid! 170k? Geesh.) Kudos to you. Make-A-Wish is my favorite charity.

Unfortunately for me, I've already noticed that they didn't correct the cover copy as asked and they cut and pasted the inside blurb so it runs together as one paragraph instead of two and I'm pretty sure I should have gotten a hard copy before they listed it on Amazon and B&N so I have no idea what the final product really looks like. But it's out there. The bell has been rung.

Maybe I'll just buy a helmet and throw a party.

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sod the helmet. Throw the party. It's cool that your stuff is out there. Cosmetic issues aside, I'm sure it's great.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I agree. Celebrate. Please.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess throwing a party beats bludgeoning myself to death over this. I had a friend who failed the nursing boards twice. When she took them the third time, she failed. BUT, instead of wallowing she threw herself a big ol' "What Color Is My Parachute" party. It was friggin' awesome. She's a social worker now.

Oh shit. This doesn't mean I have to become a social worker does it?

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I vote for A)! And :Cake: You go enjoy and feel proud of your accomplish, or I'll have to ((((((((TACKLE HUG)))))))) you a dozen times a day. :D

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com

Oh shit. This doesn't mean I have to become a social worker does it?

Yes, I'm sorry. You'll have to buy those polyester pants with the high waist and the elastic band. Too bad. You'll get over it.

kidding.

On a serious note - just celebrate. Maybe the next printing will have it corrected! :) I say, dance and wiggle. You deserve it!

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
A + E sounds like a mighty fine combination to me.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
this guy would like to unring it too but you've got good advice here, kayleamay. no need to unring the bell.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
To be honest when I had a book go out truly badly edited I did minimal promotion on it. It depends. Is there a mistake or two in the whole book, or one on every page?

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I vote for:Hug2:And :Cake: You go enjoy and feel proud of your accomplish, or I'll have to ((((((((TACKLE HUG)))))))) you a dozen times a day. :D

:cry:

On a serious note - just celebrate. Maybe the next printing will have it corrected! :) I say, dance and wiggle. You deserve it!

Oh, I'm wriggling all right.

A + E sounds like a mighty fine combination to me.

I was leaning that way myself.

this guy would like to unring it too but you've got good advice here, kayleamay. no need to unring the bell.

Friggin' hilarious.

To be honest when I had a book go out truly badly edited I did minimal promotion on it. It depends. Is there a mistake or two in the whole book, or one on every page?

I don't know how many errors are in it. I haven't seen it yet!

*rocks back and forth chanting*

"I love my writer friends, I love my writer friends, I love my writer friends..."

Option F?

Congrats! on that!

Can't help ya with the wisdom part...

=)

No shit. ;)

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I bought a helmet and a bottle of whiskey, so I'm all set for the harshing to begin. I'm now thinking of publishing as a contact sport. Ole...ole, ole, ole.

Funny part: I called iU to ask when I would receive my copies, since I'd really like to know what the final version of my own book looks like. They told me it would be here within 10 business day. I got off the phone slightly disgruntled then ordered a copy on Amazon. My confirmation e-mail said it would be here in three days. How friggin' stupid is that?

*tightens chin strap and takes a swig off bottle* ON TO THE NEXT PROJECT!