Biggest let-downs in recent cinema... what's yours?

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
I am talking about that movie you were SO-so-SO looking forward to, only to find out that it is complete crap.

My most recent one was "The Spirit," which I eagerly anticipated like any true comic fan-girl. Samuel L. Jackson made it just barely watchable, as his scenes pretty much saved it from utter crappitude. But, overall, what a let-down.

What's yours?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not that recent, I'm still getting over Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Whiteout. I really wanted to like it -- it looked intriguing: a mystery set in Antarctica, with Kate Beckinsale?

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Not that recent, I'm still getting over Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

I didn't even see it. I knew it was going to be horrifying. And now with another one? Just let. it. go.

The last movie I was disappointed with ... I think Benjamin Button. I still liked it well enough, but it wasn't nearly on the scale I wanted it to be.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Probably 'The Spirit.' Frank Miller directing Gabriel Macht, ScarJo, Eva Mendes, etc. in an adaptation of Will Eisner's classic should have been a great film.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
Star Wars Episode I: Phantom Menace.

Seriously, I'm like Tim in Spaced. I will never recover.

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
Let's see...

Spider-Man 3
Superman Returns
Attack of the Clones
Funny People
X-Men 3
X-Men Origins
Deathproof

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. This thread made me realize my expectations for movies have dropped so low that I haven't really been let down in a long time. Only mildly surprised on the rare occasion it's better than I expected.

Miguelito

Filled with optimism. And scotch.
Registered
Reaction score
Burn After Reading.

It had everything I was looking for. The Coen Brothers at the helm. A plot with real potential. Great casting.

Instead, I had only one real out-loud laugh (the augmented rocking chair) and not so much as a chuckle before or after that. It was a huge disappointment.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score

No way I will see this movie. How can you top the Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

I mean, take the hint, it's called THE LAST CRUSADE. In the words of Paris Hilton, "Duh"

The last movie I was disappointed with ... I think Benjamin Button. I still liked it well enough, but it wasn't nearly on the scale I wanted it to be.

Yes, the trailer made the movie look EPIC, like the movie event of the century. And at best, the movie was "meh". I feel it could have been so much more, but they didn't really adequately use the time flow aspect IMO.

I wanted so much to love The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I tried HARD.

Probably one of the few movies where the B rated TV series is better. THey missed on so many levels with this movie. But IMO, there are some books that simply cannot be made into movies and this is definitely one of them.

The most recent severe let down for me was Terminator 4.

I mean, seriously, the story of John Connor. We've been waiting for that for like a decade and a half. And what do they give us? Another version of T-2 but set in the future. Geez-us. What a waste.

T-4 should have had zero to do with a 'good' terminator. They should have gave us the 100% story of John Connor building the resistance and the robots kicking are ass.

What a complete waste of potential.

Mel...

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
If you think Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was that bad, then you need to watch it again. It is NOT that bad. I liked it a lot more the second time around. It's just hard to live up to one of the greatest film trilogies of all time.

Anyway, back on topic...

Transfomers: Revenge of the Fallen.

Okay, I knew it wasn't going to be good, but I was expecting it to at least be entertaining...I wasn't expecting complete poop. I saw that at midnight, too. D:

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I'm gonna say Transformers 2 as well, cause the first one was at least watchable, if you turned your brain off.

But this!?

THIS!?

See, here's how Trans-2 effected me...a few hours later, I finally got home from the worst bachelor party ever (which included Trans-2 and a trip...TO APPLE BEES! How exciting!) and I watched The Rocketeer.

And it was POISON was being sucked from a wound! It was like...

"YES! A GOOD MOVIE! One that has craft, and care, and real effort behind it! Music that is good, and action you can see, and characters you FUCKING CARE ABOUT!"

It felt...so...so good after that 2 and a half hour long TORTURE SESSION.

Aaaaaaaarrrghaghsa

As a critic of mine said, "Transformers 1, shame on Michal Bay. Transformers 2, FUCK YOU ASSHOLES!"

Exir

Out of the cradle endlessly rocking
Registered
Reaction score
I was all for a mindless popcorn flick, but Transformers 2 made me unable to tell which robot was fighting which other robot. I couldn't root for anybody in the entire film.

Except Megan Fox.

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
Burn After Reading.

It had everything I was looking for. The Coen Brothers at the helm. A plot with real potential. Great casting.

Instead, I had only one real out-loud laugh (the augmented rocking chair) and not so much as a chuckle before or after that. It was a huge disappointment.

You've got to watch it more than once. I felt the same way the first time around, but then the jokes sort of grow on you.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Snow White and the Three Stooges. I hate Curly Joe.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
Pretty much every movie I've seen since 2004 (or whenever LOTR:ROTK came out). I can't remember all the ones we willingly went to see lately, but I was highly disappointed in all of them that I remember:

Star Trek
That movie with the chick cursed by the old Gypsy woman

Can't recall any other movies so they obviously made no impressions on me.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Superman Returns hurt. I mean, the scene with the plane was worth the ticket price (and the DVD price), but still, Bryan Singer single-handedly ruined the Superman franchise in it's return. Superman's a dead-beat dad. Not my Big Blue Boy Scout.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
You've got to watch it more than once. I felt the same way the first time around, but then the jokes sort of grow on you.

I'm the opposite. I loved it when I saw it. Wanted to see it again right away. Didn't like it as much the second time I saw it.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but the 'trash' they have put out in the last several years has made me stay away from the movies for the most part. I use to love going to the moves....but not any more. I think the powers that be have forgotten what their jobs/goals are.

IMHO

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Let's see, my last really major let down was Matrix Revolutions. The second one had the series teetering. The third one buried it. Such potential completely destroyed.

Since then I have not really looked forward to any one movie like I was that. It seems most of the main movies anymore are big tentpole features where they've upped the CGI and forgotten about characters, story, the good stuff.

Though I have to say I absolutely loved Iron Man. I think they really captured Tony Stark.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I hate to say it, but the 'trash' they have put out in the last several years has made me stay away from the movies for the most part. I use to love going to the moves....but not any more. I think the powers that be have forgotten what their jobs/goals are.

IMHO

Don't knock everything, though. There are still very good movies, some even great, out; you just have to look for them instead of blindly go where the crowd goes. There are always going to be trash (*cough*Transformers*cough), some even achieve super blockbuster status, but it doesn't mean we have to embrace them. Many great independent films need our support -- because without audiences, they will not get the green light in the future... I am a staunch supporter of indie films and I wish more people are, too.

Moon with Sam Rockwell, for example, was excellent. I really adored (500) Days of Summer. And the Hurt Locker was outstanding. There's nothing quite like going to the movies at the theater no matter how great your home theater is... you just need to pick a good one.

Last edited: