PDA

View Full Version : Biggest let-downs in recent cinema... what's yours?

sleepsheep
09-28-2009, 05:47 AM
I am talking about that movie you were SO-so-SO looking forward to, only to find out that it is complete crap.

My most recent one was "The Spirit," which I eagerly anticipated like any true comic fan-girl. Samuel L. Jackson made it just barely watchable, as his scenes pretty much saved it from utter crappitude. But, overall, what a let-down.

What's yours?

alleycat
09-28-2009, 05:50 AM
Not that recent, I'm still getting over Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

sleepsheep
09-28-2009, 05:52 AM
Not that recent, I'm still getting over Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Yes, me too. So sad. So, very, very sad. Huge let-down.

maestrowork
09-28-2009, 06:00 AM
Whiteout. I really wanted to like it -- it looked intriguing: a mystery set in Antarctica, with Kate Beckinsale?

katiemac
09-28-2009, 06:30 AM

I didn't even see it. I knew it was going to be horrifying. And now with another one? Just let. it. go.

The last movie I was disappointed with ... I think Benjamin Button. I still liked it well enough, but it wasn't nearly on the scale I wanted it to be.

childeroland
09-28-2009, 06:40 AM
Probably 'The Spirit.' Frank Miller directing Gabriel Macht, ScarJo, Eva Mendes, etc. in an adaptation of Will Eisner's classic should have been a great film.

Kathleen42
09-28-2009, 06:46 AM
Star Wars Episode I: Phantom Menace.

Seriously, I'm like Tim in Spaced. I will never recover.

KCathy
09-28-2009, 07:10 AM
I wanted so much to love The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I tried HARD.

Cybernaught
09-28-2009, 07:35 AM
Let's see...

Spider-Man 3
Superman Returns
Attack of the Clones
Funny People
X-Men 3
X-Men Origins
Deathproof

katiemac
09-28-2009, 07:38 AM
Oh god, Spider-man 3. You made me remember.

brokenfingers
09-28-2009, 07:40 AM
Wow. This thread made me realize my expectations for movies have dropped so low that I haven't really been let down in a long time. Only mildly surprised on the rare occasion it's better than I expected.

Miguelito
09-28-2009, 08:26 AM
Burn After Reading.

It had everything I was looking for. The Coen Brothers at the helm. A plot with real potential. Great casting.

Instead, I had only one real out-loud laugh (the augmented rocking chair) and not so much as a chuckle before or after that. It was a huge disappointment.

dgiharris
09-28-2009, 08:33 AM

No way I will see this movie. How can you top the Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

I mean, take the hint, it's called THE LAST CRUSADE. In the words of Paris Hilton, "Duh"

The last movie I was disappointed with ... I think Benjamin Button. I still liked it well enough, but it wasn't nearly on the scale I wanted it to be.

Yes, the trailer made the movie look EPIC, like the movie event of the century. And at best, the movie was "meh". I feel it could have been so much more, but they didn't really adequately use the time flow aspect IMO.

I wanted so much to love The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I tried HARD.

Probably one of the few movies where the B rated TV series is better. THey missed on so many levels with this movie. But IMO, there are some books that simply cannot be made into movies and this is definitely one of them.

The most recent severe let down for me was Terminator 4.

I mean, seriously, the story of John Connor. We've been waiting for that for like a decade and a half. And what do they give us? Another version of T-2 but set in the future. Geez-us. What a waste.

T-4 should have had zero to do with a 'good' terminator. They should have gave us the 100% story of John Connor building the resistance and the robots kicking are ass.

What a complete waste of potential.

Mel...

Wavy_Blue
09-28-2009, 08:37 AM
If you think Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was that bad, then you need to watch it again. It is NOT that bad. I liked it a lot more the second time around. It's just hard to live up to one of the greatest film trilogies of all time.

Anyway, back on topic...

Transfomers: Revenge of the Fallen.

Okay, I knew it wasn't going to be good, but I was expecting it to at least be entertaining...I wasn't expecting complete poop. I saw that at midnight, too. D:

Zoombie
09-28-2009, 09:03 AM
I'm gonna say Transformers 2 as well, cause the first one was at least watchable, if you turned your brain off.

But this!?

THIS!?

See, here's how Trans-2 effected me...a few hours later, I finally got home from the worst bachelor party ever (which included Trans-2 and a trip...TO APPLE BEES! How exciting!) and I watched The Rocketeer.

And it was POISON was being sucked from a wound! It was like...

"YES! A GOOD MOVIE! One that has craft, and care, and real effort behind it! Music that is good, and action you can see, and characters you FUCKING CARE ABOUT!"

It felt...so...so good after that 2 and a half hour long TORTURE SESSION.

Aaaaaaaarrrghaghsa

As a critic of mine said, "Transformers 1, shame on Michal Bay. Transformers 2, FUCK YOU ASSHOLES!"

Exir
09-28-2009, 09:29 AM
I was all for a mindless popcorn flick, but Transformers 2 made me unable to tell which robot was fighting which other robot. I couldn't root for anybody in the entire film.

Except Megan Fox.

Cybernaught
09-28-2009, 09:33 AM
Burn After Reading.

It had everything I was looking for. The Coen Brothers at the helm. A plot with real potential. Great casting.

Instead, I had only one real out-loud laugh (the augmented rocking chair) and not so much as a chuckle before or after that. It was a huge disappointment.

You've got to watch it more than once. I felt the same way the first time around, but then the jokes sort of grow on you.

Wayne K
09-28-2009, 09:36 AM
Snow White and the Three Stooges. I hate Curly Joe.

jodiodi
09-28-2009, 09:50 AM
Pretty much every movie I've seen since 2004 (or whenever LOTR:ROTK came out). I can't remember all the ones we willingly went to see lately, but I was highly disappointed in all of them that I remember:

Star Trek
That movie with the chick cursed by the old Gypsy woman

Can't recall any other movies so they obviously made no impressions on me.

Romantic Heretic
09-28-2009, 06:14 PM
30 Days of Night.

It wasn't a vampire movie. It was a George Romero movie with vampires instead of zombies.

God, it sucked!

Diana Hignutt
09-28-2009, 07:15 PM
Superman Returns hurt. I mean, the scene with the plane was worth the ticket price (and the DVD price), but still, Bryan Singer single-handedly ruined the Superman franchise in it's return. Superman's a dead-beat dad. Not my Big Blue Boy Scout.

Kathleen42
09-28-2009, 07:26 PM
You've got to watch it more than once. I felt the same way the first time around, but then the jokes sort of grow on you.

I'm the opposite. I loved it when I saw it. Wanted to see it again right away. Didn't like it as much the second time I saw it.

CACTUSWENDY
09-28-2009, 07:36 PM
I hate to say it, but the 'trash' they have put out in the last several years has made me stay away from the movies for the most part. I use to love going to the moves....but not any more. I think the powers that be have forgotten what their jobs/goals are.

IMHO

icerose
09-28-2009, 08:08 PM
Let's see, my last really major let down was Matrix Revolutions. The second one had the series teetering. The third one buried it. Such potential completely destroyed.

Since then I have not really looked forward to any one movie like I was that. It seems most of the main movies anymore are big tentpole features where they've upped the CGI and forgotten about characters, story, the good stuff.

Though I have to say I absolutely loved Iron Man. I think they really captured Tony Stark.

maestrowork
09-28-2009, 08:45 PM
I hate to say it, but the 'trash' they have put out in the last several years has made me stay away from the movies for the most part. I use to love going to the moves....but not any more. I think the powers that be have forgotten what their jobs/goals are.

IMHO

Don't knock everything, though. There are still very good movies, some even great, out; you just have to look for them instead of blindly go where the crowd goes. There are always going to be trash (*cough*Transformers*cough), some even achieve super blockbuster status, but it doesn't mean we have to embrace them. Many great independent films need our support -- because without audiences, they will not get the green light in the future... I am a staunch supporter of indie films and I wish more people are, too.

Moon with Sam Rockwell, for example, was excellent. I really adored (500) Days of Summer. And the Hurt Locker was outstanding. There's nothing quite like going to the movies at the theater no matter how great your home theater is... you just need to pick a good one.

Rarri
09-28-2009, 08:53 PM
Slumdog Millionaire. Really didn't enjoy the film, for so many reasons. Even hubby (who hasn't read the book) didn't enjoy it. Oh, Marley & Me left me quite disappointed too.

maestrowork
09-28-2009, 09:39 PM
Public Enemy -- I really wanted to like it, but it failed to engage.

Gran Torino -- Clint's great, but the rest of the acting is not up to par, and the racism angle is superficial (from a minority's point of view).

Blood Diamond -- Leo's accent is horrible; none of the characters are likable; the plot is riddled with stereotypes and coincidences; not enjoyable at all

Pterofan
09-28-2009, 10:32 PM
I never made it as far as Matrix: Revolutions. Matrix: Reloaded did me in.

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi. After Empire Strikes Back, ROTJ was like a parody of a Star Wars film.

Let us never mention Kingdom of the Crystal Skull ever again.

Lady Ice
09-28-2009, 10:37 PM
Fame (2009)

brokenfingers
09-28-2009, 11:13 PM
I stand corrected.

The Matrix sequels tower above all others as the biggest movie letdown for me.

Zoombie
09-29-2009, 12:56 AM
You know, I'm actually enjoying the Spirit. I don't get what is so disappointing about it. Its pretty funny!

Sarpedon
09-29-2009, 01:36 AM
You are watching it right now?

childeroland
09-29-2009, 03:06 AM
Its pretty funny!

It's not supposed to be.

Zoombie
09-29-2009, 03:28 AM
My friend told me it was supposed to be.

maxmordon
09-29-2009, 04:28 AM
You know, I'm actually enjoying the Spirit. I don't get what is so disappointing about it. Its pretty funny!

I think I just have lost a bit of respect toward you, Zoombie...

I actually felt that The Spirit was painful... latest let-down? mmmm 10,000 B.C. I almost cried thinking how much I had wasted watching that piece of crap.

Steam&Ink
09-29-2009, 04:38 AM
I have to go for Benjamin Button, too. I thought it looked fascinating, but we were so bored we turned it off about three-quarters through and watched Friends re-runs instead.
Of course, it was so boring we laughed our asses off making jokes about it, so maybe it did have some redeeming features.

PS I really enjoyed Burn After Reading, I'd watch it again.

Steam&Ink
09-29-2009, 04:42 AM
The very worst movie I ever saw (I'm still mad about the waste of my two hours of my life) was Windtalkers with Nicholas Cage.
Oh god, the humanity! A perfectly good premise and yet... so utterly, mind-numbingly boring. Horribly long, over-dramatised battle scenes. Plastic, stereotypical characters. Uninteresting romantic interest thrown in (ironically) to break up the monotony.
I almost wrote to Cage to ask for my $10 back.

dgiharris
09-29-2009, 07:23 AM
The very worst movie I ever saw (I'm still mad about the waste of my two hours of my life) was Windtalkers with Nicholas Cage.
Oh god, the humanity! A perfectly good premise and yet... so utterly, mind-numbingly boring. Horribly long, over-dramatised battle scenes. Plastic, stereotypical characters. Uninteresting romantic interest thrown in (ironically) to break up the monotony.
I almost wrote to Cage to ask for my $10 back.

Sorry, there are way worse movies than this one. But I will admit, I thought Windtakers would be 'better'

Try The Contract

http://images.blockbuster.com/is/bb/title/260496.jpeg

How two incredible actors could be in such a god awful film is beyond me. The fact that he endanger's the life of his son throughout the majority of the movie is so annoying that I literally wanted to throw a brick through the TV.

Mel...

Steam&Ink
09-29-2009, 07:32 AM
Sorry, there are way worse movies than this one. But I will admit, I thought Windtakers would be 'better'

Try The Contract

How two incredible actors could be in such a god awful film is beyond me. The fact that he endanger's the life of his son throughout the majority of the movie is so annoying that I literally wanted to throw a brick through the TV.

Mel...

thanks for the warning - if it's worse than mine, it deserves some kind of anti-award!

dgiharris
09-29-2009, 07:59 AM
If you want an idea how bad it is, go to yahoo movie reviews...

click here

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809420289/user

Sort by 'most helpful'

A movie has to be dogshtt for Yahoo users to rate it below a B-. Just take a quick glance at the most helpful user reviews LOL

Hilarious. I couldn't resist. I added one.

Mel...

RickN
09-29-2009, 07:53 PM
Oh, Marley & Me left me quite disappointed too.

I was disapponted here too. I loved the book; it's one of the only books to make me cry (and I'm a big, macho guy, so much so that if you saw me you'd think "wow, he's a big macho guy" and maybe lick your lips a little bit in anticipation until my wife shooed you away with a broom -- and we go through a lot of broom's at my house, according to me)

Where was I? Oh, the movie had none of the emotional impact of the book.

But it was a Netflix rental so my cost was very small.

maestrowork
09-29-2009, 09:57 PM
The Time Traveler's Wife. The book was great -- a mix of love story and sci fi and personal journey... the movie just didn't live up to expectations. And Ron Livingston as Gomez? Pleeeeease.... And the relationship between Henry and kid Claire is creepy on screen....

efreysson
09-29-2009, 10:07 PM
Max Payne.

Why turn a gritty action game into a bloodless, plodding, dreary, drama film? Ugh.

sleepsheep
09-29-2009, 10:07 PM
As of last night, "Children of Men." Not because it was particularly bad, but rather, because I was expecting so much more. An attractive and skilled cast, an apocalyptic world, it should've been awesome. Instead I got a chase movie where all the thrilling action bits were replaced by forced melodrama, and that unnecessary and particularly condescending pulling of the heartstrings that I detest so much.

alleycat
09-29-2009, 10:33 PM
Another one that's not so recent, but was a disappointment for me was Taken. I hated the setup (first act) so much that it soured the whole movie for me.

sleepsheep
09-29-2009, 10:46 PM
Another one that's not so recent, but was a disappointment for me was Taken. I hated the setup (first act) so much that it soured the whole movie for me.

Taken was exactly what I expected, so I kind of enjoyed the ride. Liam Neeson as a killing machine... that's a recipe for cinematic brilliance, I say. I also rather enjoy the "retired secret agent who still got it" genre, so this pretty much hit the spot.

dgiharris
09-30-2009, 03:09 AM

What exactly about the first act upsetted you?

I actually thought that scenario was very realistic on all ends.

Princess rich girl begging her dad for permission and manipulating him into it.

Cute guy setting the girls up for the con/kidnapping..

Both scenarios I see happen all the time (except the kidnapping of course).

Taken was exactly what I expected, so I kind of enjoyed the ride. Liam Neeson as a killing machine... that's a recipe for cinematic brilliance, I say. I also rather enjoy the "retired secret agent who still got it" genre, so this pretty much hit the spot.

agreed. I wasn't expecting a masterpiece, but it was pretty much what I thought it would be. A decent action film.

Mel...

DrummerGirl
01-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Star Wars Episode I: Phantom Menace.

Seriously, I'm like Tim in Spaced. I will never recover.

This would have to be the biggest let-down ever...

How beyond pumped was I when I heard they were making the first three Star Wars? about as absolutely devastated as I was after I'd seen it.

DrummerGirl
01-05-2010, 02:39 PM
If you think Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was that bad, then you need to watch it again. It is NOT that bad. I liked it a lot more the second time around. It's just hard to live up to one of the greatest film trilogies of all time.

Anyway, back on topic...

Transfomers: Revenge of the Fallen.

Okay, I knew it wasn't going to be good, but I was expecting it to at least be entertaining...I wasn't expecting complete poop. I saw that at midnight, too. D:

Agreeing all the way on both counts. Yeah, Crystal Skull wasnt awesome, but I dont mind it. My kids love it, and it is the original storyline written back in the 80's, just never produced. People also bagged out the 'as if' action scenes - well, re-watch the first three - they all have that same style action stuff. Maybe it doesnt pull off as well now as it did 20 years ago, but they stuck true to the formula.

And Transformers 2? 45 mins in, and still nothing has happened. And then when something happens, it doesnt even make sense. lots of geographical errors. SUCH A LET DOWN because I loved the first one...

maxmordon
01-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Snow White and the Three Stooges. I hate Curly Joe.

Not as bad as the one where they fight Frankenstein aliens to save Disneyworld and attempt to dance Rock 'N' Roll music because that is what kids these days like, right?

For me, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

Justin91
01-05-2010, 11:37 PM
I agree with the Terminator 4...it was just T-2 in the future.