Feral Cats Anyone?

MoonWriter

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a relatively new volunteer with the Humane Society of Louisiana. The director just called and asked me to respond to a request from an elderly couple to trap 20-30 feral cats.

The couple has been feeding them, but can no longer do so. I'm supposed to trap the cats and bring them to an animal shelter where most, if not all, will likely be euthanized.

Does anyone know of a sanctuary within a few hundred miles of New Orleans that would take them?

Is anyone interested in adopting one or more?

Any help or advice is appreciated cause I'm not sure I can play a part in a cat's death.

Last edited:

auntybug

teh other evil broad
Registered
Reaction score
I am destined for greatness. I'm just pacing mysel
Website
www.junekramin.com
Sorry - wish I had ideas. That seems to be a big problem everywhere. I spay and neuter everything that comes across my path so I don't have to deal with those kinds of numbers in my barn. Its a losing battle. They all eventually take off no matter how tame they get and more kittens show up like clockwork anyway. I never know if they are somewhere & okay or coyote food & all my money that I don't have to spare is wasted.

Try not take it to heart. Unfortunately things like that are going to come with the job :(

Good luck!

MoonWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, auntybug.

regdog - thanks for the links. I filled out the email form for Alley Cat Allies and left a phone message with Cat Haven, located not too far away in Baton Rouge.

I'm supposed to start the trapping process tomorrow but will try to delay it if I can find them homes or a feral cat sanctuary.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck and please keep us informed

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Feral cats can usually fend for themselves, so I don't know why there is a need to trap and kill them?

Before the town vet left, they did a TNR (trap, neuter, release) program around here to cut down on the population.

I have a herd of cats comprised of feral/semi-feral/tame cats that otherwise have no home. I started feeding them when we moved in and my husband's aunt left her two 'pets' behind to be stuck outside getting knocked up every few months. Now, I only put food out once a day. The rest is up to them. I lost quite a few last winter when we had serious ice storms.

Sorry I can't offer you any resources. I hope you find something for them.

MoonWriter

Registered
Reaction score
tj - regdog's links led me to info that talks about the TNR approach you mentioned. It seems to be the best, but in this case, the elderly couple is no longer able to feed the cats. I talked with a friend about the possibility of a volunteer in the area willing to feed them if I trapped them and brought them in to get neutered. I'm waiting to see if one of his numerous connections will be able to help.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I would think that feral cats could most likely find a new food source (hunting) themselves if another food source (old people) vanished. I find plenty of squirrel and bird parts where I feed my cats. I do have some of the healthiest strays and ferals around though.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Not all cats are able to hunt, or in areas where the wildlife is very huntable. They can be relocated to managed colonies.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
There's a pub not far from me that has a colony of feral cats. A couple of years ago the RSPCA (Royal Society for the Protection of Animals) organized a neutering and spaying programme for the cats. Isn't there an equivalent organization in the US that could assist in some way with the cats? And putting animals down does not seem to match the word 'humane' - has there been any local publicity for this?

MoonWriter

Registered
Reaction score
There's a pub not far from me that has a colony of feral cats. A couple of years ago the RSPCA (Royal Society for the Protection of Animals) organized a neutering and spaying programme for the cats. Isn't there an equivalent organization in the US that could assist in some way with the cats? And putting animals down does not seem to match the word 'humane' - has there been any local publicity for this?

I hear ya! I was a little surprised that the director didn't mention any alternatives.

I will meet with the elderly couple tomorrow. At that time, I'll find out just how feral the cats are. Some may be Katrina survivors - lost when their owners left for what they thought would be a typical 2 day evacuation. Except for the animals I adopted, I'm new to the whole rescue scene and don't know if they could survive without someone feeding them. But, from what I've read, when dealing with feral cats, the RSPCA's approach is best. I'm just trying to make sure they get at least one good meal a day. :)

Seems like there are many groups involved in the TNR of feral cats. And many vets willing to do the neutering for free. As far as publicity - not yet, the call just came in this morning. It's something to keep in mind. Thanks for another great idea.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you can't handle the realities of Shelter work, you need to find a new volunteer job.

I'm sorry to sound harsh, but you place this 30, and then what? There's five next week. Two another. Etc.

We have overpopulation problems. Yes, we can work to solve them using different options, including spay/neuter and adoption. But we'll never have enough resources for every cat. You need to pick your battles. The HUMANE societies exist for several reasons. It's not just for killing cats randomly.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And putting animals down does not seem to match the word 'humane' - has there been any local publicity for this?

You think the cats will magically not starve or die of infectious diseases?

Do you have a solution for all the feral cats in the US that does not involve euthanasia?

There are more cats than we can care for. Aside from reducing the breeding population, there are limits to the resources for feral cats. And dogs. And unwanted horses to boot.

/soapbox

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Fenika, I am a realist and do understand the problems about feral cats. Tell me, have you ever heard of irony?

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I'll check with my friend in Pass Christian and see if she can help any.

I have lots of acreage that can sustain many more cats, but I couldn't arrange transport to NC. If they are feral enough to hunt and somebody can get them closer, my woods are theirs.

Most of the strays folks dump out here in the country aren't feral and couldn't survive out here, so I'm always getting something adopted :( And I'm full up on house animals; I'm sure you know how that goes!

-----
BTW: If anyone who can come to NC is interested in a gorgeous, smart sweet puppy who'll get to around 20 lbs, please let me know. She's white-blonde and looks to be about 12 weeks or so. We've seen the mom and the mom's other offspring, now grown up. Chihuahua mix?? Cute, anyway :D

MoonWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your offer to help, backslash. I should have more info by Friday evening, but at this point, it's good to have options - even if that means driving to NC. I hope the construction on 85 is finished. A few years back, we went to a family reunion in Virginia Beach at one of my sister's house and got stuck in the road construction traffic for a few hours. Funny coincidence, on our trip back home, four different car loads of family members ate at the same restaurant in Greenville. We must have missed each other by minutes. Okay, maybe that's not funny, but it was a coincidence! :)

Hope you have a wonderful birthday, backslashbaby. :partyguy: